July 4th Sale

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2478
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 2 2010 4:10 AM

Logos has posted this book for sale to celebrate July 4th.

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/07/happy_birthday_america.html

Posts 116
Transcend Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:35 AM

I think to celebrate the 4th BDAG should be 95% off!  Who's with me?

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 89
Brian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:46 AM

Count me in!!YesCool

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:00 AM

John R. Weathersby:

I think to celebrate the 4th BDAG should be 95% off!  Who's with me?

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride. 

Besides, I already have it so why should I care?  Heh, heh, heh.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 11:56 AM

David Barton's work through Wallbuilder's and getting back to showing us what the founding fathers originally wrote and their thoughts through those writings are great resources. I'm getting this one as I eventually want to get Wallbuilders collection.

With the liberal media and revisionists changing our history and subsequently our heritage, it's important to read...so thank you Logos for the great birthday present.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 5:51 PM

Kenneth Shawver:

David Barton's work through Wallbuilder's and getting back to showing us what the founding fathers originally wrote and their thoughts through those writings are great resources. I'm getting this one as I eventually want to get Wallbuilders collection.

With the liberal media and revisionists changing our history and subsequently our heritage, it's important to read...so thank you Logos for the great birthday present.

Har !!!  Thanks for the humorous, if out of bounds, comments.  Big Smile  "Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions."

Fred

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 6:57 PM

Fred:

Kenneth Shawver:

Har !!!  Thanks for the humorous, if out of bounds, comments.  Big Smile  "Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions."

If that was out of line...  Then I'll just quote this from the Logos description page...

"WallBuilders encourages people of faith to become involved in the civic arena, whether through prayer or direct involvement. As President and gospel minister James A. Garfield stated, “Now, more than ever, the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature… Ideaf the next centennial does not find us a great nation… it will be because those who represent the enterprise, the culture, and the morality of the nation do not aid in controlling the political forces.”

Too many thought police in these forums...  How about we save it for the flagrant abuses?

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 7:16 PM

J. Morris:

If that was out of line...  Then I'll just quote this from the Logos description page...  [snip]

Too many thought police in these forums...  How about we save it for the flagrant abuses?

"thought police" - Cool

I guess "flagrant abuses" are in the eye of the beholder.  Surprise

But I digress...  (I choose not to discuss the political issue here.)

Fred

Posts 31936
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:24 PM

J. Morris:

I believe that Fred needs a little support here rather than a rebuke. The original statement was a very loaded statement that was very likely to be offensive to a number of people. It is very important that we treat all people and views with respect when we post to that amorphous group "forum readers". You never know who might take you as representative of some group and re-evaluate their opinion of that group based on your comments.You don't want to risk being part of the reason someone doesn't come to Jesus Christ.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 338
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:11 PM

MJ. Smith:
You don't want to risk being part of the reason someone doesn't come to Jesus Christ.

Ok, I can't believe you just said that... the dog and the 3 crosses didn't come close to being as offensive as that statement could be to some, theologically speaking. The Eagle seems to me to have taken the dog some what out of context, or had his feathers ruffled with something he thought was being said. I don't know, but some of this is too much, especially with the 4th of July celebration. Thank you Logos for a wonderful addition for everyone's library that is very affordable.

Just for the record, I was not offended, but the point is some things will offend, just read Matt 10:34. Just ask the Hamburger avitar. Tongue Tied, sorry George, couldn't help myself when I saw you on the list of replies.

For the Dog, I see what you are saying, I was touring a historic site a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't believe what the one person was saying concerning something about an item which didn't make sense to me, and yes, when I looked it up after I got home, the guy was incorrect and was saying something completely false. It is important that we get the facts right! We might not agree with them always, but truth is truth, which is hard to find now a days.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:34 PM

Super Angry      CHILL, PEOPLE!      Stick out tongue

Dogs, hamburgers, eagles, crosses (seriously, why are all three crosses holy?), old ladies & men........

I would rather ask Dale or Dan if they'd put the whole Wallbuiler's Library on sale for 45% off. http://www.logos.com/products/details/2982 The way things are headed, this might be the last birthday for America as we know it. We can use all the patriotic rejuvenation we can get. Thanks for the sale, Logos.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 31936
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 10:12 PM

Ralph Mauch:
Ok, I can't believe you just said that... the dog and the 3 crosses didn't come close to being as offensive as that statement could be to some, theologically speaking.

Obviously, I stepped into a trap I did not know. What is the theology that would make some see the statement as offensive? I'll try to educate myself to not fall into the blunder again.

I'm not quite sure why you direct me to Matt 10:34 in that I was not saying that we never say things that are offensive, I was saying Logos forums are not the place for saying things that are offensive. Software and the use of software shouldn't require offensive statements - except for arguments over proper priorities or PC/MAC

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 10:29 PM

huh? May I make a slight suggestion. I'm not really sure how this conversation got to this point, but I suggest taking Paul's advise, if maybe slightly ...ok, entirely, out of context...forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead...

May I suggest that the posts to this thread from this point forward try again from the beginning to discuss our joy at the great offer of this product.

Posts 31936
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 11:22 PM

Philip Spitzer:
May I suggest that the posts to this thread from this point forward try again from the beginning to discuss our joy at the great offer of this product.

Deal.Smile

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 2:45 AM

MJ. Smith:
Obviously, I stepped into a trap I did not know. What is the theology that would make some see the statement as offensive? I'll try to educate myself to not fall into the blunder again.

MJ asked a question.  I think it deserves an answer.  Her statement was "You don't want to risk being part of the reason someone doesn't come to Jesus Christ."  It depends on whether or not you believe another person's salvation depends on you.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 439
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 8:04 AM

I agree with Matthew, put the whole collection at 45% off, I would buy that!!!!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 8:20 AM

Alex Scott:
MJ asked a question.  I think it deserves an answer.

I imagine you are correct about why Ralph took offense. And I am certain MJ did not mean to step on anybody's theological toes. But Phil is right, let's just keep focus on the thread title. After all, few of us would want to trade away the religious freedoms we presently enjoy for a single state-mandated religion.

Happy 4th of July!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 338
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 8:58 AM

MJ. Smith:
Obviously, I stepped into a trap I did not know. What is the theology that would make some see the statement as offensive? I'll try to educate myself to not fall into the blunder again

It wasn't meant as a trap, and Lucy kind of got what I was saying (ak Alex), it wasn't meant to be over critical towards you either. Matt 10:34 was meant as an example that certain things, lke the gospel will be offensive to some, that's just the way things are. AND hey, guess what... Logos software is full of stuff about Jesus, and some of the stuff they put up for sale might have offense to some, that's just the nature of things.

I searched Logos on "what keeps us from coming to Jesus" and found 1 ref... (The one thing that keeps us from coming to Jesus Christ is obstinacy; we will do anything rather than come. It is not God’s will that a man should be smashed before he is saved, it is the man’s obstinacy that does it.[Chambers, O. (1996). Making all things new. Hants UK: Marshall, Morgan & Scott.]) But maybe your thought came form what Paul says about how we treat other "Christians"  Romans 14:13 or 1 Cor. 9:11ff.

The last thing I want to do is to create a stir on a list like this, but, and this was my point in posting, we can't be so sensitive that we are afraid of expressing ourselves.

Just purchased the 4th of July special from Logos, and wishing everyone who celebrates it a blessed time of reflection of how good life still is in the USA. It didn't come about by accident.

Posts 31936
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:12 PM

Alex Scott:
It depends on whether or not you believe

Thanks for the answer - it tells me that the problem is semantic not theological which makes me feel much better, I really don't like stepping on other people's theology in the forums.

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 6:49 PM

My question is which of you is more out of line.  No, on second thought, I have no question about it.

It was a wonderful day when God relieved me of responsibility to fix everyone's bad theology.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS