Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 47
David Emme | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 20 2020 3:01 AM

Some works I figure are Catholic. Never have been nor intend t. So my suggestion would be to mark resources and what community they belong to. A good way to do this is with the base packages listed for Logos 8. Look at it as a way to make better ordering decisions. 

Thanks

Dave Emme

Posts 3741
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 3:20 AM

David,

It's been long requested, and FL did start working on denominational and theological tagging, a couple of years ago.

Not sure how much progress has been made. Perhaps someone from FL can provide an update if you ask in that thread?

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 795
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 8:08 AM

Some books, when you scroll down far enough, list an affiliation. Not always though.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3

Posts 11174
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 9:02 AM

I think FL's tasking would always be a bit tricky. They seem to be moving toward a finger-print-less publishing, to the extent possible. Automate the tagging as much as possible.

So, the temptation is to class by publisher. That'd be a mistake, especially on the scholarly side. The alternative is obvious titles, or read the book? Doubt it.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 3741
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 9:14 AM

Still, I’d take mostly right denominational tagging with reported errors fixed, over no tagging at all.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 50
Manuel Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 8:41 AM

Yes, sometimes it would be helpful to have a denominational tag but I guess it is not possible for all resources. Take for example bibles. Some translations are from a certain denomination but in general they belong to all (see the denominational packages).

Especially the dogmatic resources would be helpful to be tagged. I usually look at the appraisals and see which people recommend this resource. And as already mentioned it can be a hint, whether it is part of demonational package but that's only a hint. Authors can change their position in the course of their lives. And usually church fathers are categorized to catholic/verbum but I think that's a bias.

Posts 11174
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 9:04 AM

Manuel Roth:
And usually church fathers are categorized to catholic/verbum but I think that's a bias.

Absolutely. The fathers, especially the earlier ones, provide a lot of clues as to what they thought the greek meant. Also the latin fathers, where they were forced to translate the original greek.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 795
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 9:04 AM

Manuel Roth:

And usually church fathers are categorized to catholic/verbum but I think that's a bias.

Also in Orthodox. In fact, I found it more of a bargain to buy an Orthodox package to boost my Patristics collections than to buy the CUA Fathers of the Church separately.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS