Early Church Fathers Protestant Edition (37 vols.)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 126
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 20 2020 10:00 AM

I have Early Church Fathers Protestant Edition (37 vols.) in my library. Could you give me some ways I can integrate this into my Word Study Searches and any other way this resource can be used. Thanks so much

Posts 10963
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 10:21 AM

Not sure about word studies, since ECF is in english. Just don't know.

But ECF is great in a CitedBy panel, linked to the Bible. I have my ECFs titled/dated, since I prefer earlier comments regarding the text. I might add, my brain seems to 'lock' on ECF as NT related, forgetting that they used OT interpretation quite a bit. So, it's handy for my stubborn brain.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1657
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 10:22 AM

Some of these volumes are sermons or even commentaries on the Biblical text, and so should show up in the list whenever commentary options appear in various reports.

But one of the most useful tools for me is "Cited By." It is found under the Tools menu and then the Lookup subgroup.This tool will find wherever the active reference - eg. Bible Passage - is referenced in your library. To manage all the references given, you will probably want to make various collections.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 633
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 10:51 AM

I don't know if it's still a thing, but it used to be that the person who had one of the two (Catholic or Protestant) could get the other for free. I've found it helpful to have both because some Logos citations assume a certain version and having the other results in a "resource not found."

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 59
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 1:10 PM

David Wanat:

I don't know if it's still a thing, but it used to be that the person who had one of the two (Catholic or Protestant) could get the other for free. I've found it helpful to have both because some Logos citations assume a certain version and having the other results in a "resource not found."

Just checked—it is still a thing. ;) I just downloaded the set I did not own at no cost. Yes, this will eliminate the resource not found issue. ;)

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 633
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 1:39 PM

Joseph Sollenberger:

David Wanat:

Just checked—it is still a thing. ;) I just downloaded the set I did not own at no cost. Yes, this will eliminate the resource not found issue. ;)

Thanks for letting us know about this.

You‘re welcome 🙂. I think I first encountered this with “The Annotated Luther” where citatations were based on the page number in the Protestant version.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS