Apple Silicon

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 28
Tim Nargi | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 22 2020 11:50 AM

Finally, it's officially confirmed it's coming to the Mac. I sure hope this means we could get the full version of Logos on the iPad. 

And speaking of iPad, iPadOS will now support handwriting converted to text. I sure hope that comes to the mobile app for note taking.

Posts 3700
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 12:03 PM

Apple's Press Release:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 12:20 PM

Since I’m not too clear on how the new chips are going to work, I’m wondering if that’s a two-year warning to rewrite software from scratch for macOS Big Sur.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 2442
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 1:07 PM

There's a Rosetta update to run Intel-based software.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 1:58 PM

I see. I guess I misunderstood the significance of that.

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate, Anglican | Silver: Standard | Bronze: Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 153
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 7:44 PM

I would love to have Logos on my iPad Pro. Unless there's something I can't think of, I don't know of any app really that I would need my iMac for if that happened. I can do nearly everything with my iOS devices... except Logos. The difference between the desktop and mobile is too great.

I hope to see some pencil integration this fall. Logos open on the left and Goodntoes on the right.

Posts 25735
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 10:08 PM

Tim Nargi:
I sure hope this means we could get the full version of Logos on the iPad. 

It works the other way -  you can use your iOS and iPadOS apps on the Mac. Logos for Mac won't run on your iPad.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 28
Tim Nargi | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 7:38 AM

Dave Hooton:

Tim Nargi:

It works the other way -  you can use your iOS and iPadOS apps on the Mac. Logos for Mac won't run on your iPad.

You're right, for the moment. But since the Mac will have the exact same processor as it does in the iPad (they did a demo of this) the same exact app will run on both devices.

Bring the full fledged Logos to the iPad with tight Pencil support and I can have my entire toolset wherever I go. PLEEEEASE Faithlife, make this happen.

Posts 630
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 8:14 AM

I wonder how well that would work. Maybe fine on a 12.9” Pro, but on a smaller screen, it seems like desktop Logos would be too cramped on a small screen, barring a revamped layout.

Posts 2442
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 8:58 AM

Dave Hooton:

Tim Nargi:

I never even thought about doing that. Does Logos mobile run on Catalina?

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1755
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 9:35 AM

mab:
I never even thought about doing that. Does Logos mobile run on Catalina?

No...this will be possible on the next version of macOS (Big Sur) and only on Apple computers with ARM processors (not Intel).

Posts 15
Mike Prewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 11:22 AM

The outstanding questions are when will Logos run natively on MacOS 11 (Big Sur) with Apple Silicon, and pending that, will the Logos code for Intel run without issue or a big performance hit on Apple Silicon using Rosetta 2.

Posts 2442
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 12:30 PM

I held off updating my Mac Mini, so now buying another Mac will probably go on ice indefinitely. It's going to make getting a new Intel Mac a liability right out of the box. 

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 4:01 PM

mab:

I held off updating my Mac Mini, so now buying another Mac will probably go on ice indefinitely. It's going to make getting a new Intel Mac a liability right out of the box. 

Yep. I had planned to finish up on MS, and convert Logos to a Mac as its sole app. This is all good news, long range. Probably sit out L9 in addition to L8. Will be interesting to watch Logosian squealing in the meantime.

Back in Apple's early days, my Apple Ii had a 3 digit serial. But switching to the Amiga since the Mac was already dated, it'll be nice to get a better designed Mac. Coming home (I hope).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1
RP | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 4:25 PM

I still have a couple of perfectly good macs that were left behind when they abandoned Apple Silicon the first time.

PetahChristian:

Posts 1041
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 4:31 PM

Mike Prewitt:

The outstanding questions are when will Logos run natively on MacOS 11 (Big Sur) with Apple Silicon, and pending that, will the Logos code for Intel run without issue or a big performance hit on Apple Silicon using Rosetta 2.

Running in Rosetta 2 its unlikely there would be a big performance hit except possibly while indexing but even then it will work very fast. (Even if there is an overhead it is unlikely to max out the processor load).

Faithlife will be native very close to launch day. Faithlife tend not to comment much on pre-released systems but they always get there.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 2
Rodrigo Quema | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 5:44 PM

I just had a chat with one of the Logos Reps who made it clear that they don't plan on supporting Apple Pencil anytime in the future.  I doubt if they would recompile their current MacOS app to work with Arm as well in that case.  

Posts 265
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 6:20 PM

RP:

I still have a couple of perfectly good macs that were left behind when they abandoned Apple Silicon the first time.

Yea, me too.

I have a really nice G5 Quad maxed out at 16 gig. It still runs!

Now I have a Mac Pro 2010 that I can't update past Mojave.(without playing with the install. No thanks.)

As long as Logos supports WinTel I can always run in a VM on the Mac at least.

Posts 28358
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 8:35 PM

There are a bunch of different issues here.

Rodrigo Quema:
I just had a chat with one of the Logos Reps who made it clear that they don't plan on supporting Apple Pencil anytime in the future.

As you mentioned in another thread, the mobile app development is tied to Android as well. BIG special features which are device specific are much less likely to occur than ones which could be more easily be ported across devices and operating systems. 

Rodrigo Quema:
I doubt if they would recompile their current MacOS app to work with Arm as well in that case.  

As for the Mac app: Apple's announcement this week that they will be moving to ARM based chips instead of Intel means that FL will have to do something at some point, or drop support for Mac altogether. 

To begin with, Logos might need to run on Rosetta 2, but eventually it will probably move over to being compiled for ARM. (Note: this is for Mac only... not for windows). 

Tim Nargi:

Tim Nargi:
But since the Mac will have the exact same processor as it does in the iPad (they did a demo of this) the same exact app will run on both devices.

Well, the "same processor" is not the same thing as the "same operating system" or the "same device." Many have talked and dreamed about this and it may finally happen... but probably not on the device you are using today... I certainly don't see FL optimizing the desktop version for any current iPad. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 45
Steven New | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 10:41 PM

Realistically the best we could hope for is Logos 9 would be built from the ground up for Apple Silicon, which would mean maybe better iOS support too.

Page 1 of 4 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS