RIP James Dunn

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2447
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 26 2020 4:38 PM

I just learned that he passed away at 80. Another great scholar gone.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 7285
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2020 4:55 PM

R.I.P.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2020 7:34 PM

mab:

Goodness. A great loss. I don't consider 80 old, anymore.

He's contributed so much.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2653
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2020 9:04 AM

Friedrich:

mab:

Goodness. A great loss. I don't consider 80 old, anymore.

He's contributed so much.

For such a great theologian his obit is sparse https://deaddeath.com/james-d-g-dunn-death-obituary-theologian-dead-at-age-80/ Wikipedia is better, but no information on family https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dunn_%28theologian%29 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 594
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2020 4:10 AM

I found that Dunn's writings were scholarly yet accessible, and helped me as a young Christian student to grasp the reality of the world in which Scripture was formed and gain a better understanding of the God who inspired that Scripture.

The first ones I encountered were Dunn's "The Parting of the Ways: Between Christianity and Judaism and Their Significance for the Character of Christianity" (www.logos.com/product/161229/the-partings-of-the-ways-between-christianity-and-judaism-and-their-significance-for-the-character-of-christianity), "Unity and Diversity in the New Testament: An Inquiry into the Character of Earliest Christianity" (www.logos.com/product/53148/unity-and-diversity-in-the-new-testament-an-inquiry-into-the-character-of-earliest-christianity), and "A New Perspective on Jesus: What the Quest for the Historical Jesus Missed" (www.logos.com/product/5336/a-new-perspective-on-jesus-what-the-quest-for-the-historical-jesus-missed).

His Magnum Opus is the three volume "Christianity In The Making" (www.logos.com/product/80509/christianity-in-the-making), which Logos describes as "The fruit of a lifetime of scholarship, the now complete Christianity in the Making series is truly Dunn’s magnum opus. Through these volumes, Dunn traces the origins of Christianity from the time of Jesus in the New Testament, through its burgeoning with Peter, Paul, and James, to the Christological development of the Early Church Fathers in the first two centuries. Filled with penetrating insights and copious research, Dunn thoroughly explores the issues at the heart of who Jesus is [and] how Christianity got its start."

I'm very grateful to have the chance to benefit from his lifetime of fruitful scholarship.

Posts 2653
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2020 6:26 AM

Gordon Jones:

I found that Dunn's writings were scholarly yet accessible, and helped me as a young Christian student to grasp the reality of the world in which Scripture was formed and gain a better understanding of the God who inspired that Scripture.

The first ones I encountered were Dunn's "The Parting of the Ways: Between Christianity and Judaism and Their Significance for the Character of Christianity" (www.logos.com/product/161229/the-partings-of-the-ways-between-christianity-and-judaism-and-their-significance-for-the-character-of-christianity), "Unity and Diversity in the New Testament: An Inquiry into the Character of Earliest Christianity" (www.logos.com/product/53148/unity-and-diversity-in-the-new-testament-an-inquiry-into-the-character-of-earliest-christianity), and "A New Perspective on Jesus: What the Quest for the Historical Jesus Missed" (www.logos.com/product/5336/a-new-perspective-on-jesus-what-the-quest-for-the-historical-jesus-missed).

His Magnum Opus is the three volume "Christianity In The Making" (www.logos.com/product/80509/christianity-in-the-making), which Logos describes as "The fruit of a lifetime of scholarship, the now complete Christianity in the Making series is truly Dunn’s magnum opus. Through these volumes, Dunn traces the origins of Christianity from the time of Jesus in the New Testament, through its burgeoning with Peter, Paul, and James, to the Christological development of the Early Church Fathers in the first two centuries. Filled with penetrating insights and copious research, Dunn thoroughly explores the issues at the heart of who Jesus is how Christianity got its start."

I'm very grateful to have the chance to benefit from his lifetime of fruitful scholarship.

Very thoughtful post.

Thanks, Gordon!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 31
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 28 2020 10:15 AM

Sad news!

I, too, took an examination on his Unity and Diversity in the New Testament -book in my exegetical studies, here's the link to the Logos version: https://www.logos.com/product/53148/unity-and-diversity-in-the-new-testament-an-inquiry-into-the-character-of-earliest-christianity

A very interesting reading assignment, indeed!

I just bought his Christianity in the Making (3 vols.) trilogy, which is now in Logos monthly Publisher Spotlight, ending soon:

https://www.logos.com/product/80509/christianity-in-the-making

Dunn was known for being an advocate of a version of the New Perspective on Paul (NPP), which, as I understand it, is shown in his Romans Commentary (Word Biblical Commentary Series) and in his Galatians Commentary (Black's Commentary Series). Great challenging reading - for us Lutherans, at least.

Requiescat in pace!

Posts 2
Djoped | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2020 6:47 AM

Rest in Peace James Dun, I just read about his death. https://www.theartsofentertainment.com/james-dunn-death-dead-james-douglas-grant-dunn-obituary-theologian/

Posts 2
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS