When will Anchor Bible be complete?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 2 2010 12:12 PM

It looks like everything is in production except Deuteronomy 12-34. Anyone have an idea about a publication date (in print - I don't mean a digital edition)?

Posts 1
Etaoin Shrdlu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:16 PM

I don't believe it! Yet another lousy English version coming out, and someone already wants a copy. Only our Lord's return will bring an end to these horrors.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:42 PM

Etaoin Shrdlu:

I don't believe it! Yet another lousy English version coming out, and someone already wants a copy. Only our Lord's return will bring an end to these horrors.

Either you are very talented at humor or you maybe you are not aware that the Anchor Bible is a commentary, not another English translation/version of the Bible. 

Posts 31293
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:43 PM

Etaoin Shrdlu:
Yet another lousy English version coming out, and someone already wants a copy.

Welcome to the forums ... and what lousy language would you like yours in?Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3730
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 10:46 AM

Hi Al,

Having inherited the paper edition from my dad, & having watched other series have individual volumes replaced as research warrants, the real answer to your question "When will AB be complete?" may well be when the Lord returns. Wink

OTOH, if you're asking about Deuteronomy, a much smaller question, I'll confess I don't know. Nor was Anchor's web page much help.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:51 AM

Etaoin Shrdlu:
I don't believe it! Yet another lousy English version coming out, and someone already wants a copy.

Check out the Wikipedia article   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_Bible_Series
and you will learn The Anchor Bible is a commentary that was begun in 1956 (that's 54 years ago) and is neither "new" nor a Bible "version" per se.

I bought this resource in Logos  Anchor Yale Bible (84 Vols.)  http://www.logos.com/products/details/4469
and even without a sale, the digital version is a great savings over the hardcopy volumes listed on Am@zon.
Read the Logos blog to find out what a good deal the digital set is:  http://blog.logos.com/mt-cgi/mt-search.cgi?search=%22Anchor+Yale+Bible+Coming+to+Libronix%22&IncludeBlogs=1&limit=20

MJ. Smith:
  Welcome to the forums ... and what lousy language would you like yours in?

matthew likes this post....Yes Stick out tongue

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:54 AM

Al Bastin:

It looks like everything is in production except Deuteronomy 12-34. Anyone have an idea about a publication date (in print - I don't mean a digital edition)?

I remember Speiser's Genesis and Dahood's Psalms from when I was in seminary so it would appear that this is the work of a lifetime.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 4:03 PM

According to Best Commentaries they've not even commissioned the Deuteronomy version yet, and there's no ETA on half a dozen replacement volumes.

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 7:27 PM

Thanks, Mark - you finally gave the answer I was looking for.

Mark Barnes:

According to Best Commentaries they've not even commissioned the Deuteronomy version yet, and there's no ETA on half a dozen replacement volumes.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS