Guidance for Effective Cross-Device Reading of Logos and Vyrso Books

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 192
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 30 2020 10:39 AM

I am currently spending more time intentionally engaging in reading several of my resources from cover to cover. I've used Logos since 2006, so I've seen a lot of changes along the way and lots of improvements. As I've used it, and built my library, it's becoming increasingly important for me to also be able to have the ability to read books cover:cover and across devices. I love that when I do this all my notes are available in Logos for research, my books are searchable in Logos and can be used for research and for reading. That said, it's the cross-device reading that I'm really struggling with. So far these have been the two biggest areas (and I've posted elsewhere on.)

I am more than happy to use the Faithfile eBook app for reading and Logos for study. Completely fine with two doors to the same room - each with their own focus. But these struggles seem to be the same in both apps.

Where I'm struggling

I'd greatly appreciate hearing from others some of their "best practices" on reading books across devices that are in their Logos/Faithlife library. I want to continue to invest in my library with Logos but effective reading is just as important as deep research when I buy a book, and think it could and should be better. Any tips and suggests would be great!!

Why I'm Asking

I've made extensive investments in my Logos library. I realize that Logos books have tagging and several other features that make them much more useful in doing research and searching. This comes with a premium of cost, and I'm okay with that. I just hope that my premium results in both a resource that's effective for research and a tool that is effective for reading.

I reviewed a handful of Titles that I've purchased in Logos and their related cost in Amazon. I've also looked at books I've purchased for Kindle from Amazon and their related cost in Logos. In my case this would suggest a roughly 65% premium for books in Logos than Amazon. I'm okay with that, as long as there's a tool for effective reading.

Title Logos Faithlife Amazon Logos Premium
Jürgen Moltmann: Collected Readings 26.99 17.99 50%
After Our Likeness: The Church as the Image of the Trinity 28.99 Not Available
The Old Religion in a New World: The History of North American Christianity 27.99 14.04 99%
Inhabiting the Cruciform God: Kenosis, Justification, and Theosis in Paul’s Narrative Soteriology 25 14.16 77%
A Concise History of Christian Thought: Completely Revised and Expanded Edition 27.99 Not Available
The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God 21.99 15.99 38%
Select Works of Michael J. Gorman (2 vols.) 39.99 Not Available
Walking between the Times: Paul’s Moral Reasoning 14.99 9.99 50%
Constructing the World: A Study in Paul’s Cosmological Language (SNTW) 29.99 Not Available
The Trinity and the Kingdom 26.99 14.85 82%
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy 9.99 9.99
Seven Men: And the Secret of Their Greatness 11.99 9.48
Finding Faith Today 16.5 10.54

Currently if I see myself only reading a book and I prefer to purchase on Amazon because Kindle is more effective for reading. I really want to change that because I love Logos and would prefer to confidentally always look first to Logos and Faithlife for a book and then to Amazon only if I can't find it at Logos.

P.S. KUDOS to the Logos team for bringing an e-book to the market for some theological works that others would never take the time in turning into an e-book. Another reason I'm happy to pay more to be sure this continues to be possible!

Posts 28358
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2020 10:53 AM

The advantage of Logos is having a digital research library. I have thousands of Kindle books (mostly free or cheap), but as a "library" it is worthless. If you goal is to read an  ebook "cover to cover," there is no better experience, in my opinion, than a Kindle Paperwhite. If I had a Logos resource I wanted to read "cover to cover," I would likely export it to read on my Paperwhite. That would not solve any of your current issues, however. (No page numbers, no syncing between devices). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 192
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2020 11:12 AM

I agree, but am also finding the Onyx Boox devices to be great e-reading devices. I've tried the Nova2 and awaiting my Poke2. Kindle works great on them, as does Logos/Faithlife for reading... other than these challenges I mention.

Posts 2443
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2020 2:51 PM

If I am not mistaken, you can actually have more than one copy of a given work open on an iPad when working in Logos. So let's say you are reading a commentary on something about Genesis 1, you can open it again and look up something about Genesis 6. Your place in chapter 1 is still preserved when you switch back to it. You don't lose it until you close it.

I absolutely love using my iPad Air with Logos. I get far more out of my library now. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 192
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2020 6:53 AM

mab:

If I am not mistaken, you can actually have more than one copy of a given work open on an iPad when working in Logos. So let's say you are reading a commentary on something about Genesis 1, you can open it again and look up something about Genesis 6. Your place in chapter 1 is still preserved when you switch back to it. You don't lose it until you close it.

I absolutely love using my iPad Air with Logos. I get far more out of my library now. 

Yes, it does work this way - which sometimes is great, but sometimes not what I want. What I wish was easy to do is to be in a book on, let's say page 62 on my iPad while I'm reading. Close Logos on my iPad, go to my phone later in the day. Maybe last time I read the book on my phone I stopped at page 40 but now, later in the day when I open that same book logos asks me if I want to go to page 62 since that's where I left off the last time I read the book.

I've been using workarounds with layouts to open/close books and favorites seem to be the "fool proof" method but just wishing this was a little more seamless.

Posts 567
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 1 2020 7:35 AM

Page numbers in the mobile app would be a huge improvement. 

I'm always waffling back and forth on which device I prefer. Right now I'm fine reading on Logos desktop and I like that I can switch over to the mobile app when I want to sit outside or on the couch etc. and have all my notes and highlight abilities.

Right now, notes and highlights are a deal breaker for me on Kindle. Kindle is still too laggy and the fact that notes and highlights don't carry over onto Logos is a major issue if you are a big note-taker. However I've felt differently in the past. 

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS