Discipleship In The Days of Jesus

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 572
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 2 2020 8:09 AM

I am wondering if there are good resources in Logos that describes what it would have been like to be one of Jesus disciples.  I am interested in two things 1) a deeper understanding of Jesus as Rabbi and 2) what would life had been like for a disciple of Jesus? Were they with Jesus constantly? How did they relate to him?  What was expected of a disciple? What did they expect from him as their Rabbi?  Do you have suggestions for resources that might help in this area?   Thanks!

Posts 18659
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2020 11:04 AM

Michael Kinch:
deeper understanding of Jesus as Rabbi ...

Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewishness of Jesus Can Transform Your Faith (2018 Ann SpanglerLois Tverberg

Reading the Bible with Rabbi Jesus: How a Jewish Perspective Can Transform Your Understanding (2018 Lois Tverberg)

Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life (2012 Lois Tverberg; Ray Vander Laan)

Jesus through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels (2008 Kenneth E. Bailey)

The Cross and the Prodigal: Luke 15 through the Eyes of Middle Eastern Peasants (2005 Kenneth E. Bailey)

Paul through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians (2011 Kenneth E. Bailey)

Logos.com search suggestion is Rabbi => https://www.logos.com/search?query=Rabbi&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=all that includes

What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Jewishness of Jesus: A New Way of Seeing the Most Influential Rabbi in History (2016 Rabbi Evan Moffic)

The Rock, the Road, and the Rabbi Study Guide: Come to the Land Where It All Began (2018 Kathie Lee GiffordRabbi Jason Sobel)

Another Logos.com search suggestion is Messianic Jewish => https://www.logos.com/search?query=messianic%20jewish&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=all that includes

Messianic Judaism: A Modern Movement With an Ancient Past: (A Revision of Messianic Jewish Manifesto) (2007 David H. Stern)

FYI: my favorite English translation is Complete Jewish Bible (CJB) (1998 David H. Stern) with companion The Complete Jewish Study Bible Notes (2016 Barry Rubin). Highly recommend reading CJB introduction. Dr John Gill extensively read & referenced many Jewish & Gentile sources in Bible Commentaries, Systematic Theology, &c. => The Works of John Gill (19 vols.)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4181
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2020 11:40 AM

KS4J,

Do you also have this resource? I'm curious what its value would be if someone already has the CJSB (which I do).

https://www.logos.com/product/30983/the-jewish-study-bible 

Posts 18659
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2020 1:45 PM

Mattillo:

Do you also have this resource? I'm curious what its value would be if someone already has the CJSB (which I do).

https://www.logos.com/product/30983/the-jewish-study-bible 

Complimentary Jewish insight on a number of Tanakh passages:

Current annual Jewish Tanakh reading plan leaves out Isaiah 52:13-53:12

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1672
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2020 6:51 PM

Michael Kinch:

I am wondering if there are good resources in Logos that describes what it would have been like to be one of Jesus disciples.  I am interested in two things 1) a deeper understanding of Jesus as Rabbi and 2) what would life had been like for a disciple of Jesus? Were they with Jesus constantly? How did they relate to him?  What was expected of a disciple? What did they expect from him as their Rabbi?  Do you have suggestions for resources that might help in this area?   Thanks!

Michael, you've received some good suggestions, but a word of caution. Because we have limited information on rabbis in Jesus' time, many writers extrapolate back from later rabbinic sources. After AD 70 when the Jerusalem temple was not longer the center of Judaism, the role of the Rabbi was much greater. Before AD 70, we should probably use rabbi with a lower-case "r" -- a rabbi in an informal sense.

The Eerdmans Dictionary of Early Judaism is a great general-purpose resource on the 2nd temple period. The article on "Rabbis" by Richard Kalmin begins like this:

The rabbis were Jewish sages who flourished after the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 C.E. Most of them lived in Palestine under Roman domination until the editing of the Mishnah, the earliest rabbinic compilation, in the early third century C.E.

Posts 572
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 9:18 AM

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. Some really good resources for me to sink my teeth into.  There is a wealth of resources that relate to Jesus as rabbi or teacher and also that relate to Jesus and his culture.  It will take some digging to come up with a clear picture in how the disciples related to Jesus, what it was like to live as His disciple. As an example we know that the disciples put to memory many of the words of Jesus.  This had to be a part of how they related to Jesus. I imagine that at the end of they day that they shared with one another the things that they had heard Jesus say and the importance of them. As His disciple today I think that aspect of memorizing the words of Jesus should be a part of my discipleship experience. As I deepen my studies I am sure that I will find other aspects of discipleship that will deepen my experience with Jesus.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS