NT251 Question

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7534
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 3 2020 5:09 PM

Hello everyone!

I have some questions concerning the sermon on the mount mobile ed NT251:

How is the course different from the book Pennington has?

And does he use in the course the word "Flourishing" instead of "Blessed" like he does in the book?

How's the course -- Average, good or excellent?

Thanks for any responses!

DAL

Posts 7534
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 6:19 PM

Nevermind! I’ll check it out myself 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 1484
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2020 12:33 AM

DAL:

DAL

Please let us know what you find out. Smile

Posts 7534
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2020 7:57 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

DAL:

DAL

I like what I see so far.  The various interpretations (monastic, Lutheran, etc.) of the sermon on the mount were quite informative for me.  I had never considered those or heard of those for that matter.  Then again, most of the time I focus on the text and the application for our daily lives and not whether the text is considered apocalyptic or interpreted differently by other religious groups.

I like it and for the price it was a great investment! After this I’m watching the one on the parables by Doriani and the the dead sea scrolls by Evans.  Great stuff so far 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 65
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2020 8:43 AM

Thanks DAL; I was wondering about Pennington's course as well. I have his book and was curious if the course expanded on the book.

Posts 10913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2020 9:57 AM

Daniel Bender:

Thanks DAL; I was wondering about Pennington's course as well. I have his book and was curious if the course expanded on the book.

This course is older than the book (2014 versus 2017) and thus the book never features as recommended reading. In fact the most used resource for reading is a (no longer available) edition of Hughes' PtW Sermon on the Mount.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 7534
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2020 10:45 AM

NB.Mick:

Daniel Bender:

This course is older than the book (2014 versus 2017) and thus the book never features as recommended reading. In fact the most used resource for reading is a (no longer available) edition of Hughes' PtW Sermon on the Mount.

You mean this volume: https://www.logos.com/product/3173/preaching-the-word-sermon-on-the-mount-the-message-of-the-kingdom 

DAL

Posts 10913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2020 11:23 AM

DAL:

NB.Mick:

In fact the most used resource for reading is a (no longer available) edition of Hughes' PtW Sermon on the Mount.

You mean this volume: https://www.logos.com/product/3173/preaching-the-word-sermon-on-the-mount-the-message-of-the-kingdom 

DAL

EDITED: Sorry I forgot I was even part of this some time ago: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/159392.aspx 

OK, now I see the course itself in its "body" actually refers to that (abbreviated as "SM:MK") - they fixed that sometimes, and it's good to see that my links will work in the Exposition section of the course.

The overview in the courses tool still gives a locked symbol for me as it continues to refer to https://classic.logos.com/resources/LLS_6A0DC8487D451C53875D38E67141CAB1/the-sermon-on-the-mount-the-message-of-the-kingdom which most probably is the exact same book (Crossway, 2001)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1484
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2020 3:22 PM

DAL:

Rick Ausdahl:

DAL:

DAL

I like it and for the price it was a great investment! After this I’m watching the one on the parables by Doriani and the the dead sea scrolls by Evans.  Great stuff so far 👍😁👌

DAL

DAL, were you able to get all three of those courses at the sale price?  When I tried, it gave the full price for the parables course by Doriani.

Posts 7534
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2020 4:27 PM

Rick Ausdahl:

DAL:

Rick Ausdahl:

DAL:

DAL

DAL

DAL, were you able to get all three of those courses at the sale price?  When I tried, it gave the full price for the parables course by Doriani.

I already had the dead sea scrolls when I purchased the parables and sermon on the mount I just hadn’t really made time to watch it.

Posts 339
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2020 10:14 PM

Rick,

Mobile Ed: NT251 The Sermon on the Mount is part of the monthly sale.

If you purchase the Flash sale 1st and buy one of the videos other than NT251 you "Should" then be able in a second sale  purchase NT251 at the monthly sale price. You can also go through a sales person and they can get you both resources at the correct sale price.

Posts 1484
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 12:57 AM

Thanks!

Posts 7534
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 8:29 AM

Great material, but I think over explaining his virtue-ethics approach was sort of an overkill.  I've always seen the sermon on the mount (esp. the beatitudes) as something we should cultivate over time and it never occurred to me to explain it with all this information he gave.  It was sort of a no brainer since I read it back when I was young.  I guess it's good in the sense that he's a professor, so all this information is expected; but it goes to show how scholars can actually complicate or confuse people by not sticking to the simplicity of the text.

Over all, I would recommend the course.  You can actually skip the introductory material and start watching at Unit 3 if you want to get right to the sermon on the mount.  The introductory material in Unit 1 is useful if you want to impress people in a Sunday school setting.  Unit 2 not so much, but it's helpful to see where he's coming from, but you can still catch on by watching Unit 3 alone.

Thank you FL for all Mobile Ed courses.  I wasn't sold on them, but little by little, I find them useful and informative even if I don't agree with everything a speaker might say.  Whoever came up with the Mobile Ed idea needs a raise Geeked 

DAL

Ps.  By the way, I finally learned to pronounce Pericope -- Peh-ree-co--pee Big Smile Stick out tongue

Posts 29721
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 2:41 PM

DAL:
but it goes to show how scholars can actually complicate or confuse people by not sticking to the simplicity of the text.

Fortunately, we have Jewish examples, including lay/student chavrusa, showing that historically that's the nature of the beast. Still trying to get my favorite example God Was in This Place & I, i Did Not Know: Finding Self, Spirituality and Ultimate Meaning by Rabbi Lawrence Kushner into Logos - it explores why the I is repeated in the text.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS