NIC or WBC?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 723
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 7 2020 5:46 AM

Both are on sale via the March Madness sale being brought back. I have had both on my wishlist for a long time. I can only afford one set at this time.

Which do you recommend and why?

I am a Pastor that preaches weekly. I am not a technical kind of guy or doing any scholarly work. I am evangelical and conservative in theology (liberal in application Smile )

What do y'all think?

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 2337
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 6:50 AM

Hi Jerry,

Both are good commentaries. The WBC is structured in a unique way which some really like and others not so much. My preference is the NIC because it is strong pretty much across the series while WBC has some commentaries that are not as strong as others. I have both and would gladly provide you samples if you give me a reference you would like to see.

Other sources of reviews is www.bestcommentaries.com

Hope this at least gets you started in your analysis.

Posts 2083
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 7:31 AM

I also prefer the NIC.  I like the WBC, but the layout is frustrating.  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2083
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 7:35 AM

You can also check the Denver Annotated Bibliographies Personal Books found here:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/63727/1104649.aspx#1104649

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2068
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 8:04 AM

Jerry Bush:
Which do you recommend and why?

I purchased both at the same time on a payment plan during March Madness in 2018. I prefer NIC for sermon preparation because of layout and generally higher ranking at bestcommentaries.com for most books.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 723
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 8:10 AM

Thanks, John. I am leaning toward NIC. I have looked at the Best Commentaries site and it was helpful. Both of them are highly reviewed there. 

I have a few volumes of each so I have been digging in more. Thanks for the offer, though.

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 7424
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 8:18 AM

They're both in the top 5 commentary series.  I would go for NICOT/NT since WBC sometimes goes on sale for $399.  It'd be worth waiting for a sale like that while getting the best of the two right now (i.e. NIC series).

DAL

Posts 7424
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 8:24 AM

Joseph Turner:

I also prefer the NIC.  I like the WBC, but the layout is frustrating.  

I'm by no means a scholar, I'm just a preacher boy, like someone used to call me (not so boy anymore), but once I got used to the lay out, it's my number 2 go to commentary.  It's really nice! I've read the pastoral epistles volume twice -- once in print and once in Logos.  I'm going to start a series on 1 Peter and that'll still be my number 2 go to commentary.  NIC series is my first, then others like both EBC Original and Revised, Anchor Bible, College Press, Tyndale, NAC, MacArthur, NIB, etc. Some in Spanish too.

DAL

Posts 723
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 11:23 AM

Thank you all, everyone! I truly appreciate your time and thoughts.

Based on everything, I am headed over to get the NIC right now. 

Posts 47
Chi Shun Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 6:20 PM

If you are a pastor and are evangelical and conservative in theology, then you will definitely appreciate NIC much more. There are many authors in WBC who do not hold to the same view of biblical inerrancy as you (as they are considered liberal). In general the NIC is also better rated than the WBC series. 

Posts 2461
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 6:44 PM

The NIC gets first place. I would go for it and consider WBC next time around. Sales seem to happen once or twice a year so you aren't likely to miss out.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 257
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 6:54 PM

I too prefer NIC.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS