Translations of the Apocrypha?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 504
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 8 2020 3:46 AM

Hey folks! I am about to undertake a background study and reading of the Apocryphal texts - I have all sorts of research resources, but as regards the actual texts, I have the KJV Apocrypha, Charles' Apocrypha of the OT, Wycliffe's Translation, RSV Catholic Edition... are there any other modern translations out there that I may want to read (not sure I'm in the mood for KJV or Wycliffe English at this juncture, LOL!)

Thanks! Smile I tried to do a search of the Fora before posting this, but the search engine doesn't seem to be working right now for some reason. I keep getting an error message.

Posts 23338
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 4:17 AM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:
are there any other modern translations out there that I may want to read

The NRSV has it as well

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:
but the search engine doesn't seem to be working right now for some reason. I keep getting an error message.

A number of people have reported this - I recommend using Google as per https://wiki.logos.com/Using_the_Forum#Searching_the_forum_using_Google 

Posts 2623
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 5:36 AM

Also, obviously, the Lexham English Septuagint, and the NETS.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1195
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 6:10 AM

In my library:

• New American Bible (NAB)
  • Common English Bible (CEB)
  • Revised English Bible (REB)
  • New English Bible (NEB--older version of the REB)

Plus the ones others have mentioned. I've also recently learned the ESV has an edition of the apocrypha, but I'm not sure if it's in Logos.

The NAB is really good for the book introductions and notes. The others are rather freer translations (with varying degrees of accuracy) that have a fresher feel than the KJV-RSV line of translations. However, the NRSV probably has the widest range of books if you want to go beyond the RC canon.

Posts 11218
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 6:18 AM

An excellent chance for text comparison. I have mine sorted by translation date, so I can see the shifts in opinions.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3476
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 6:41 AM

These are among others that you may want to explore. Hope this helps.

The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition: Text

The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition with Notes

The Lutheran Study Bible

mm.

mm.

Posts 210
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 11:55 AM

This is shipping in about two weeks (July 21) so you may want to take a look and see if it may be useful to you:
https://www.logos.com/product/187297/new-testament-apocrypha-more-noncanonical-scriptures-vol-2 

Posts 2176
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 1:02 PM

Sean:
New English Bible (NEB--older version of the REB)

I grew up in a KJV church in the Independent Baptist tradition. When I took "the Bible as Literature" at a Community College my professor was from the Episcopal tradition and required we obtain the NEB. I found it quite readable and to date it is the only dead-tree version of apocryphal literature I own.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 29725
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 2:26 PM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:
background study and reading of the Apocryphal texts

You need to think of this as a two part task:

1. The study of the broadest canon commonly used in the USA for which the ecumenical NRSV is the most common text.
  2. The study of the remaining texts which may have been considered canonical by some group at some time and related literature - for the Old Testament think Bauckham, Davila, and Panayotov For the New Testament think Burke.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 11218
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 8 2020 3:17 PM

Getting a tiny bit off-track (though as MJ splits out, non-canon vs canon) ... but I accidentally found this odd volume:

https://www.logos.com/product/32431 (Lost OT Apocrypha)

Most apocrypha/pseudepigrapha resources are arranged by document, with maybe an introduction, discussion, and text.

Lost Apocrypha discusses by person, and the apocrypha sources are largely someone quoted something. The resource sits over top 'Dr Charles', so you get quite a bit of interplay.

A good example is Noah's wife. She burned Noah's ark several times, knowing YHWH wanted her gone. But her name cross-connects to Jubilees, where it's Noah's mother.

Anyway, a fun $5.  Ok, back to the canon.

Posts 504
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 4:56 AM

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your great input! This will all be very helpful.

Blessings and a peaceful weekend to you all! Left Hug

Posts 2290
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 5:49 AM

Denise:
A good example is Noah's wife. She burned Noah's ark several times, knowing YHWH wanted her gone. But her name cross-connects to Jubilees, where it's Noah's mother.

Just discovered I have that book.  Now I am going to read it.

Posts 562
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 11:14 AM

Denise:

An excellent chance for text comparison. I have mine sorted by translation date, so I can see the shifts in opinions.

Denise, do you place translation dates into the titles of the translations? Would you be willing to share the translation dates you have used? I was thinking about doing something like this myself, but would love to see how other users set it up.

Posts 18624
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 1:09 PM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:
are there any other modern translations out there that I may want to read

Thankful for a printed Inspire Catholic Bible (2018 by Tyndale House Publishers) that has New Living Translation (NLT 2015) text with inspiring art illustrations for creative journaling. ISBN 978-1-4964-3657-3

Wisdom 1: Wisdom Forsakes the Wicked

1. Love justice, you rulers of the earth. Think of the Lord in the right way, and seek him with a sincere heart,
  2. for he is found by those who trust him, and he shows himself to those who have faith in him.
  3. Dishonest thinking separates people from God. When his power is put to the test, it exposes fools for what they are.

Printed library also has The Apocrypha, The Deuterocanonical Books of the Old Testament - God's Word Translation. ISBN 978-0-8010-7220-8 (1995 God's Word to the Nations published by Baker Books)

Wisdom 1: An Appeal to the Rulers of the World

1. Love justice, you rulers of the world. Consider that the Lord is good. Be sincere in your search for him.
  2. Those who don't test him will find him. He will reveal himself to those who obey him.
  3. Evil thoughts separate people from God. When fools test God, his power exposes them for what they are.

Printed English Standard Version (ESV) with Apocrypha. ISBN 978-0-19-528910-7 (ESV Text 2007, Apocrypha 2009 Oxford University Press)

The Wisdom of Solomon 1: Exhortation to Uprightness

1. Love righteousness, you rulers of the earth, think of the Lord with uprightness and seek him with sincerity of heart;
  2. because he is found by those who do not put him to the test and manifests himself to those who do not distrust him.
  3. For perverse thoughts separate people from God, and when his power is tested, it convicts the foolish;

1993 New Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition (NRSVCE) is available for Logos & Verbum

1. Love righteousness, you rulers of the earth, think of the Lord in goodness and seek him with sincerity of heart;
  2. because he is found by those who do not put him to the test, manifests himself to those who do not distrust him.
  3. For perverse thoughts separate people from God, and when his power is tested, it exposes the foolish;

1992 Good News Translation with Apocrypha (could not find Logos.com product page)

The Wisdom of Solomon: The Search for Justice

1. Love justice, you rulers of the world. Set your minds sincerely on the Lord, and look for him with all honesty.
  2. Those who do not try to test him will find him; he will show himself to those who trust him.
  3. Dishonest thoughts separate people from God, and if we are foolish enough to test him, his power will put us to shame.

1985 The New Jerusalem Bible Reader's Edition (NJB)

Wisdom: On Seeking God and Rejecting Evil

1. Love uprightness you who are rulers on earth, be properly disposed towards the Lord and seek him in simplicity of heart;
  2. for he will be found by those who do not put him to the test, revealing himself to those who do not mistrust him.
  3. Perverse thoughts, however, separate people from God, and power, when put to the test, confounds the stupid.

2007 A New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS)

Wisdom of Salomon 1

1. Love righteousness, you who judge the earth; think about the Lord in goodness, and seek him with sincerity of heart;
  2. because he is found by those who do not test him, he reveals himself to those who do not distrust him.
  3. For crooked thoughts separate from God, and his power, when it is tested, convicts the foolish,

2020 Lexham English Septuagint, 2nd Ed. (LES)

Wisdom of Solomon: Seek Wisdom Not Death

1. Love righteousness, rulers of the earth. Think about the Lord in goodness, and seek him in simplicity of heart.
  2. Because he is found by those who do not test him, and he is shown to those who do not mistrust him.
  3. For perverted reasonings separate people from God, and when the power of God is tested, it rebukes the foolish.

Basic Search for {Milestone <Wisd of Sol 1:1>} in Type:Bible finds Wisdom 1:1 in Bibles

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18624
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 2:09 PM

Nick Steffen:
Denise, do you place translation dates into the titles of the translations? Would you be willing to share the translation dates you have used? I was thinking about doing something like this myself, but would love to see how other users set it up.

Basic Search {Milestone <Ws1.1>} in Type:Bible finds resources having Wisdom 1:1 that includes NETS. Text Comparison sorting by alphabetic Titles tends toward chronological. Noticed NETS is missing from Wisdom 1:1 comparison while does appear for verses 2 and 3.

Thankful for discussion providing me reason to update my title customization of The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible with the Apocrypha, rev. ed. (NCPB) so prefix reflects content year of 1611 while (2011) suffix is publication (or translation) year.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29725
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 2:55 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Printed English Standard Version (ESV) with Apocrypha. ISBN 978-0-19-528910-7 (ESV Text 2007, Apocrypha 2009 Oxford University Press)

1. Love righteousness, you rulers of the earth, think of the Lord with uprightness and seek him with sincerity of heart;
  2. because he is found by those who do not put him to the test and manifests himself to those who do not distrust him.
  3. For perverse thoughts separate people from God, and when his power is tested, it convicts the foolish;

Note the ESV + Engelbrecht, Edward A., ed. The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition: Text. Saint Louis, MO: Concordia Publishing House, 2012. is an ESV with apocrypha available in Logos.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 11218
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 3:32 PM

Nick Steffen:

Hi, Nick. Just for anyone seeking similar:

- Text Comparison sorts by title. either the system title, or a user updated one, if available. So, I edit the titles prefixing with published date and short abbreviation. I got the dates from the resource info in most cases, else, the resource intro.

- I select a version with the apocrypha to sort first (arbitrarily low artificial date) to be able to pull the full canon for any verse

- For older translations (eg LXX, syriac, etc), I only prefix the abbreviation. This places them at the bottom of the sort.

- In the screen copy below, the library is in the middle (3 screens), and an example Comparison on the right. The issue was how the hebrew first word was translated. But you can also see versification issues (Jewish Bible, earlier LXX, etc).

Posts 562
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2020 7:59 PM

Denise:

Hi, Nick. Just for anyone seeking similar:

- Text Comparison sorts by title. either the system title, or a user updated one, if available. So, I edit the titles prefixing with published date and short abbreviation. I got the dates from the resource info in most cases, else, the resource intro.

- I select a version with the apocrypha to sort first (arbitrarily low artificial date) to be able to pull the full canon for any verse

- For older translations (eg LXX, syriac, etc), I only prefix the abbreviation. This places them at the bottom of the sort.

- In the screen copy below, the library is in the middle (3 screens), and an example Comparison on the right. The issue was how the hebrew first word was translated. But you can also see versification issues (Jewish Bible, earlier LXX, etc).

Thank you, Denise! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Thankful for discussion providing me reason to update my title customization of The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible with the Apocrypha, rev. ed. (NCPB) so prefix reflects content year of 1611 while (2011) suffix is publication (or translation) year.

Good idea, Keep Smiling!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS