Get a 14-volume commentary set for $30?! No way! You're kidding, right?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 3 2010 4:02 AM

One thing that sets Logos apart from those other Bible study products is Community Pricing. We early adopters get to set the prices we are willing to pay on a select few classic resources.

Here is a deal you won't want to pass up: a classic 14-volume commentary set on the entire Bible which at the current bid rate is likely to go for about $30. Could be less if more people bid on it.

http://www.logos.com/communitypricing/details/2132

There is no reason not to bid. It's not like an eBay auction where you're stuck with an item if you win the auction. If you're even remotely curious about a title, bid on it. You won't be stuck with it if you change your mind later. Once it goes into pre-pub the price of this series will jump up to $89.95 (still a bargain) but as long as your bid was greater than or equal to the final CP price, you'll get it at that lower price. (If you bid lower than that, you don't get the item.) And you can still cancel your order at any time up to the day before it ships if you decide you don't want it or can't justify that expense. Your credit card doesn't get charged until it ships.

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 4:06 AM

Rosie Perera:
There is no reason not to bid.

YesYou're right about that!  Placed my bid months ago. Let's see this one get to pre-pub soon!

Posts 2816
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:25 AM

Yes

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:57 AM

Yes

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 6:16 AM

Rosie Perera:
There is no reason not to bid

Not sure how to phrase this, so please don't pillory me if I get it wrong. When I bid on it, am I not telling Logos that I am interested in this resource, and I would be willing to pay X dollars to see this included in my Logos library? While I realize that I can bid on it and help get it over the hump, and then cancel it because I really had no intention of buying it in the first place, isn't this in essence lying to Logos? 

Not trying to rain on your parade Rosie, it just caught my attention. BTW, I have bought a CP just to help others get what they really wanted, and I would suggest it as a workable strategy for something that is really close.

Posts 3740
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 7:42 AM

Terry:

I would not bid on something you really do not want.  I have chosen that route for a number of products.  That would be deceitful, if done intentionally.  I have bid and as budget changed, taken away my bid or my order - but not as a preplanned action.

On the other hand, if you (or any one else) would ever want this resource, this is a cheap as it gets.  And the way that CP often works, the price can certainly drop from here as more people get on board at the last minute.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 8:47 AM

Floyd Johnson:
I would not bid on something you really do not want.  I have chosen that route for a number of products.  That would be deceitful, if done intentionally.  I have bid and as budget changed, taken away my bid or my order - but not as a preplanned action.

Nor do I believe that was what Rosie intended on suggesting Floyd, the "No Reason" just caught my intention, and I did not want anyone to take it that way. It may well be I erred in even saying anything at all (An error that seems to plague me at times  Zip it! )

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:33 AM

I did not intend to promote deception. If that's how my post came across, I'm sorry. I did say "If you're even remotely curious about a title" by which I meant, if you're thinking you might want to buy this at some point in the future, do it now while it's cheap. The "no reason" was just my attempt at an overly sweeping rhetorical flair. Not meant to be taken literally. Of course there are valid reasons not to order it, e.g.: "I have no interest in this whatsoever."

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:52 AM

Rosie Perera:
Here is a deal you won't want to pass up: a classic 14-volume commentary set on the entire Bible which at the current bid rate is likely to go for about $30. Could be less if more people bid on it.

At $30/bid, this is not likely to go very far. $2.14/volume is almost robbery.

If we want this to go anywhere, I suggest that everyone increase their bid to $60 (about $4.29/vol.), or better yet to $5/vol. or $70 (which is what I bid). Even that seems like a steal to me.

If everyone who bid $30 doubled their bid to $60, it could go over the top today. Historically, once something goes over the top, the Community Pricing price drops like a stone. But I wouldn't suggest bidding more than you think the resources is worth to you. My strategy with CP is always to bid according to how much it's worth to me, rather than what I think I can get it for. I almost always get it for less than that.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2816
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:02 PM

Rosie Perera:

I did not intend to promote deception. If that's how my post came across, I'm sorry. I did say "If you're even remotely curious about a title" by which I meant, if you're thinking you might want to buy this at some point in the future, do it now while it's cheap. The "no reason" was just my attempt at an overly sweeping rhetorical flair. Not meant to be taken literally. Of course there are valid reasons not to order it, e.g.: "I have no interest in this whatsoever."

Reading you contextually - in context, I did not come to those conclusion. You were merely pointing out what Logos have already said about the Community pricing scheme & their Pre-Pub system. If one will take the pains to search the Logos web site and blog, they will find the same thought you have expressed in this forum entry for Pre-Pub & Community Pricing.

No need to apologise nevertheless thanks for the clarification for those who need it.

Ted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 468
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 1:51 PM

Rosie Perera:

Yes, what a deal!  Yes

Lauren

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 1:56 PM

Rosie - if you can get Barnes Notes into production, you will certainly deserve two stars under your picture instead of one!

Posts 2450
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 3:24 PM

I just raised my bid from $40 to $60.  Did it move?

Posts 3740
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 3:59 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
If everyone who bid $30 doubled their bid to $60, it could go over the top today.

Actually, it would be if everyone who bid between $30 and $60 raised their bid to $60.  Those with bids less than $30 have no $30 bid.  Those who have already bid $60 or higher, already have a $60 bid in place.  

I would everyone to re-evaluate what this 14 volume commentary set might worth to them.  And raise you bid by as much as you can.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 6:09 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Richard DeRuiter:
If everyone who bid $30 doubled their bid to $60, it could go over the top today.

Actually, it would be if everyone who bid between $30 and $60 raised their bid to $60.  Those with bids less than $30 have no $30 bid.  Those who have already bid $60 or higher, already have a $60 bid in place.  

I would everyone to re-evaluate what this 14 volume commentary set might worth to them.  And raise you bid by as much as you can.

OK, I've just upped my bid from $40 to $60. I do hope I don't end up having to pay more than $40, though. This is just to help get some momentum going. I realize that once it goes over 80 or 90% the momentum will probably jump up quite a bit and the price will come back down.

Posts 3740
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 6:23 PM

Just to be fair, I am in at $75.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 2450
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 8:42 PM

Maybe Logos can help us by advertising the Barnes Commentary on either their blog or homepage.  I think more people would bid if they knew about it.

Posts 5127
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:28 PM

I bid the max bid on every single CP offering there is...and I am quite sure if everyone who frequents the forums did the same, we would likely get each and every item for the lowest price listed on each resource.

Let's get something straight...no one twisted Logos's collective arm and forced them to make a CP page...it's exists as it does because Logos made it so.

One more thing: you aren't bidding what you WANT to pay for the resource...you're bidding what the resource is WORTH. Is Barnes worth $90? Of course it is...so I bid $90. Do I want to pay $90 for it? Of course not...I want to pay $10--that's the POINT of CP, folks! This red herring of "if I bid more than I really want to pay, isn't that being dishonest?" is absurd. Like I said, I'm bidding what I think it's worth...and know that I will get it for far less, because that's just how CP is set up.

"But aren't I taking advantage of Logos then?" some whimper. Did you force Logos to do anything? Didn't they create this program? Didn't they create the way it works? Don't you realize it's DESIGNED to give the loyal Logos customer base a break on certain resources, usually public domain titles. Logos only wants to cover its production expense, period. The company really doesn't care what price the title goes out the door for on CP...they simply know that they will have one more title that they can offer later to future customers, or perhaps include in a future base package.

That said, if you bid high, you're not making the price go higher, you are making the price go lower--I don't understand it and don't really care to--that's just the way it works. Rosie said we can get the Barnes resource for $30. Actually, if EVERYONE BIDS HIGH ON IT because it's certainly worth $90, we could all get it for $10.

TEN BUCKS!!!!!!!

If you bid the max on each resource in CP...and each one of the resources is well worth that price...then you will get the reosource for much, much less. Go back, right now, and look at the LOWEST PRICE on the chart for each item and then ask yourself...would I like to have this valuable resource for such an absurd low price? If the answer is "yes", promptly click the highest price...the price that the resource is unquestionably worth, even though you don't want to pay THAT price...you want the price at the other end of the chart. IF EVERONE WILL DO THIS...we will GET each of these resources for the price at the left end of the chart.

Btw...LOGOS is the one who picked that "gimme" left-end price for each resource...not you and not I. Make yourself, your Logos co-users, and Logos itself happy and let's get each one of these valuable resources into production. Bid in clean conscience, folks...that's exactly what this program is for...to offer screaming good deals.

Finally, I have been wanting Hasting's resources since I first became a Logos user over a decade ago. The detail he provides is amazing. I especially encourage users to go bid for the Hasting's Encyclopedia in PrePub. I was hoping that would be in CP, but even at the flat price it is offerred for in PrePub it is a screaming steal. My mouth has been watering for a chance to get Hasting's Encyclopedia into Logos. Don't be put off by the "non-religious" content...the encyclodpedia is utterly amazing. I used to spend hours in college just flipping through various volumes while saying to myself, "I wish I could have my own copy of this." You won't be disappointed.

BID HIGH, folks...all of these resources are well worth the highest price listed--a price you will never pay.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 52
Scott Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 4 2010 3:19 AM

This is a great commentary set it's well worth $90 which is what I bid. Getting it for 30 dollars is a great deal. If you don't know who Barnes was, google him and see. If your bid is under 30 it's well worth raising it up to push this through.

Posts 26378
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 4 2010 7:09 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Richard DeRuiter:

Those with bids less than $30 have no $30 bid.

The low bidders should go to $30 to be realistic about what they will get. I've increased to $50 but we really need new bidders coming in at this price point.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS