OT Apparatus's That Are More Than Just Varient Schedules

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10970
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 26 2020 8:45 AM

The Old Testament (in Logos) doesn't have much in the way of in-depth apparatus. For hebrew, BHS is largely a summary. Ditto the Samaritan. For greek, Ralfs has another varient summary. Gottingen has considerably more varients. Latin is quite thin (Vulgate). And Leiden/Syriac is similarly thin. A couple monographs for coptic prophets and Philo have more in-depth discussion.

But ...

Quinta (hebrew) and Septuagint Commentary (greek) have a lot more discussion in their respective apparatus. Even better, if all you need are these, you can buy the SC ones stand-alone or Quinta by book: cheap! Here's samples:

1. Quinta: Genesis (just shipped)

2. Septuagint Commentary: Amos. Not all volumes have apparatus. And those that do, typically have lengthy discussions of the sources as well.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 29136
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2020 12:34 AM

bump

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1538
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2020 1:32 AM

Denise:
Septuagint Commentary (greek)

This was a good hint. Poor me: I bought Genesis and Exodus. They don't have the apparatus volume, but seem to be interesting books anyway. Exodus seems to have some discussion of important variants.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 10970
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2020 8:13 AM

Veli Voipio:
Poor me: I bought Genesis and Exodus.

My plan was apparatus only, for SC. But then, they put SC on sale. And after a day of tough justification, I bought the set. It was hard work rationalizing, so I'll list for anyone else:

1. In addition to the apparatus, the commentary volumes have a lot of depth. Initially, I was suspicious of the Bird volume.

2. The LXX, like it or not, is older than the MT (12 centuries or so, depending on how early). Granted, the MT was pretty stable for half of that time.

3. Surprisingly, 'jews' wrote the LXX. Kind of like 'jews' wrote the NT too.A lot of LXX translational snob-ification ignores the obvious ... both the LXX and MT have the same 'old' issues (as also the NT).

4. Logos has an unfortunate habit of "losing' sets that have low appeal (or contract problems). Antioch Bible, anyone?

Now ... Old Latin. Logos needs Old Latin (in addition to introducing 'latin' on the mobiles).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS