Look up translations of a Hebrew word in multiple bibles/versions

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Brian Nelson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 30 2020 12:29 PM

Hello!

Any advice on how to look up the different translations and occurrences of that translation of a single Hebrew word in multiple translations.

For example if I wanted to look strong's H539 aman which is most frequently translated "believe" in the KJV. Is there a way I could look up H539 and see it's different translations in the KJV, ESV, NKJV, NASB, etc., and the number of times it's translated those ways in those versions. Ideally all this information would be on the same screen.

Would I need to purchase concordances for each version, or could I get away with only purchasing/downloading the different English versions?

Advice on how to do this?

I'm pretty much a newbie with Logos. However, I'm pretty tech savvy, and can learn pretty quickly.

Thank you for your help. Love in Christ, Brian

Posts 29136
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2020 2:06 PM

Welcome to the forums. I believe that the Translation Section of the Information Panel (under Tools) is the quickest way to the data you want. However, it does not show counts nor use Strong's ... the Translation ring of the Bible Word Study is easier to use Strongs with and does include counts but one has to work a single translation at a time.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2320
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2020 3:18 PM

Welcome to the forums. In addition to M.J.'s suggestions you can run separate searches on each of the bibles you want, select the analysis view and the sort by results and then right click and select summary view. See screenshot below:

If this is what you would like to do, I can run you through the steps in more detail. Just post back.

Posts 2653
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2020 4:13 PM

Welcome to the forums, Brian Smile

To generate the information you're looking for, the best Guide is called Bible Word Study. It has among its sections the Translation section of which MJ speaks. The first task you need to accomplish is to generate the report on your selected lemma, aman. To do this you either need to type into the reference box the transliterated form using the default keyboard; typing h:aman and observing your selected form from the drop down list. Alternatively, if you are familiar with Hebrew you can type the word out in Hebrew using the Hebrew keyboard. Note that it is the first form on the list; select this. See below.

Next you're going to bring up multiple Translation sections. You will find Add on the far right of the panel bar, select this. On this drop down menu you will find Translation, select this. It will generate another instance of your Translation section. You will repeat this step as many times as necessary to obtain the number of versions you will use. See below.

Now you will note that all the Translation sections are at the bottom of the Guide. Click and hold to move them to where you want them to appear. Next you will note that all the Translation sections are for your Top Prioritized Bible; to change this, on the far right if you hover your cursor over this section of the Translation section you will see Settings and a downward pointing caret; select this. In the reference box begin typing the version that you want and it will appear in the selections, select this. Now you have changed the version of the Translation section. Repeat this step on all the other sections you have created. See below.

You're ready to work with the Translation Ring. Click the rightward pointing caret before the Translation section, the section will open and you will see the  Translation Ring. You're ready to study. Note the word you are interested in select that portion of the ring. This will produce a report that you will be interested in. You may study all of your versions in this way. See below.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS