Fellow Baptists particularly pastors what do you recommend as a basic library?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1752
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 4 2020 7:01 PM

I just got the Gold Baptist even this late in the 8.x history of Logos but wondered what pastors and my fellow Baptists might consider a basic library for an expositional sometimes preacher who favors easy practical commentaries - one volume and sets?

What are your go to resources say if you are a preaching assistant pastor who helps conduct Bible studies and small groups too?

I wish the Serendipity Bible series was still around?  Yup I am that old.  I do have some of the major commentary sets Logos provides with Gold etc...but what do you always have open when you begin typically?

I have a few bibles open (I love the Quest Study Bible as it maintains a what questions typically might come up basic question and answer format) and Bible Knowledge Commentary from DTS typically myself.

What nuts and bolts books and resources would you suggest to a newbie Baptist pastor as well?

Maybe mention just one you consider essential please...thanks.

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2020 9:23 PM
Serendipity Series or Bible? The CSB Life Connections Study BIble is an update for the Serendipity Bilble notes. CSB Life Connections Study Bible Notes A good mid-range set is the NAC Commentary The New American Commentary Series | NAC (43 vols.). Tyndale Commentaries also fit the 'good material in a brief format'. Tyndale Commentaries | TOTC/TNTC (60 vols.). These are quick-look up resources that usually contain useful material as well. These were my go-to sets early in my ministry. 
Posts 1752
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2020 6:44 AM

Danny Parker:
Serendipity Series or Bible? The CSB Life Connections Study BIble is an update for the Serendipity Bilble notes. CSB Life Connections Study Bible Notes A good mid-range set is the NAC Commentary The New American Commentary Series | NAC (43 vols.). Tyndale Commentaries also fit the 'good material in a brief format'. Tyndale Commentaries | TOTC/TNTC (60 vols.). These are quick-look up resources that usually contain useful material as well. These were my go-to sets early in my ministry. 

Mr. Parker, thanks.  I have Tyndale as well as NAC I think and agree with you here...yay.  I just bought Life connections study bible notes based on your reference here ...thanks.

I love this for others folllowing along too:

https://www.logos.com/product/133

Posts 18616
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2020 8:20 AM

Thankful for August 2011 Blog Article => https://blog.logos.com/2011/08/logos-4-quickly-access-the-ubs-handbooks/ Right Click in Logos 8 (and Verbum 8) shows UBS Handbook Series being my third highest prioritized resource with Bible Indexing for Reference (Verse) Look up: preview pop-up appears when hovering mouse over Look up link

Logos Wiki Logos Resource Reviews includes UBS New Testament Handbook Series and UBS Old Testament Handbook Series Key concepts to translate plus cross cultural comments and textual criticism

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 121
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2020 11:56 AM

For one volume commentaries, my basics would be Believer's Bible Commentary and Tom Constable's Expository Notes.

Two volume set would be Wiersbe's Bible Exposition Commentaries and Grace New Testament Commentary.

Multi-volume sets: David Guzik's Commentary set, Teaching Textbook Commentary set, and J. Vernon McGee Thru the Bible Commentary set.

Posts 10746
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2020 1:59 PM

JoshInRI:
an expositional sometimes preacher who favors easy practical commentaries

You should consider NIVAC

Posts 16
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2020 8:09 PM

Have you seen the IVP 8 Volume Dictionary set? 

https://www.logos.com/product/37742/ivp-bible-dictionary-series-8-volumes

Dictionary of Paul and his Letters is my favorite.

https://www.logos.com/product/737/dictionary-of-paul-and-his-letters

I had to make a sudden cross-country move because of the virus, and I had to leave my hardcopy behind. I am going to be in refugee mode for awhile and my treat to myself was the whole set.

Before I left, I gave my Dictionary of Paul to a neighbor and he was SOOO happy to own that book. You would think I had given him gold. Maybe I did.

The Logos edition of the NIrV Bible is the older edition, but I got a $2.99 kids ebook version from Faithlife that works as a book more than a Bible.

https://www.logos.com/product/51626/nirv-the-super-heroes-bible-ebook-the-quest-for-good-over-evil

This version chops up complex sentences into shorter SV sentences that replace pronouns with names. I really like this version for the book of Romans.

Posts 1752
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2020 6:26 AM

i commend and salute everyone who took the time to post in here. 

p.s. If you know anyone looking for a full time assistant pastor, a recent graduate of Luther Rice Seminary, please find a way to reach me offline.  I am 58, married, Baptist, eager to serve, computer and av savvy, and teachable...and of course have great tools in Logos Baptist Gold with many great commentaries. 

Just to keep this compliant and not an ad...here is a resource I often make use of too: https://www.logos.com/product/184766 

Sadly the remaining volumes have been abandoned by the publisher who said it was for lack of interest.

Posts 1358
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2020 12:58 PM

JoshInRI:

i commend and salute everyone who took the time to post in here. 

p.s. If you know anyone looking for a full time assistant pastor, a recent graduate of Luther Rice Seminary, please find a way to reach me offline.  I am 58, married, Baptist, eager to serve, computer and av savvy, and teachable...and of course have great tools in Logos Baptist Gold with many great commentaries. 

Just to keep this compliant and not an ad...here is a resource I often make use of too: https://www.logos.com/product/184766 

Sadly the remaining volumes have been abandoned by the publisher who said it was for lack of interest.

It would great if the publisher ran the same Teach The Text sale again, as last year.

Posts 774
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 7 2020 6:27 PM

JoshInRI:

a basic library for an expositional sometimes preacher

I taught some lessons on expositional preaching for some Nazarene pastors in Guatemala in January of this year.  For part of the preparation, I listened to several audios from D.A. Carson on expositional preaching.  Dr. Carson said he has been asked a lot about how much time should a preacher devote to expositional preaching.  Dr. Carson said he would defer to Dr. Walter Kaiser on the matter. 

Dr. Kaiser stated that it would be O.K. for a pastor to give one or two topical sermons a year . . . as long as they repented immediately afterward!  Stick out tongue

Posts 607
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2020 12:20 AM

David A Egolf:

Dr. Kaiser stated that it would be O.K. for a pastor to give one or two topical sermons a year . . . as long as they repented immediately afterward!  Stick out tongue

That's classic!  Thanks for sharing the Walter Kaiser line.  That gave me a good chuckle.

Posts 271
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2020 2:19 PM

Josh, great question. Writing this as a 25 year Southern Baptist pastor - and 12 year Logos user. Given your parameters mentioned, I would recommend the following....

Buy three study Bibles (all are basic, one volume commentaries) - The MacArthur Study Bible, The ESV Study Bible, and The Zondervan NIV Study Bible.

Then get Thomas Constable's Notes.

Then get the Bible Knowledge Commentary and the The Bible Exposition Commentary.

After this, you might look to the more expensive sets - such as NAC or Tyndale.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS