BUMP! Why is Karl Barth's "bombshell of a book" The Epistle to the Romans still not in Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18901
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 18 2020 6:47 PM

This is one of the most important commentaries ever written. It's so important that there's a book called Reading Karl Barth: A Companion to Karl Barth’s Epistle to the Romans which Faithlife carries, and yet you don't carry the book that it's about.

We've been asking for this for years. There are at least four other threads requesting it.

Faithlife, please indicate that you're working on it!

And everyone else, please go vote for it here:

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/15955231-karl-barth-the-epistle-to-the-romans

Posts 2709
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2020 7:06 PM

Rosie Perera:
This is one of the most important commentaries ever written. It's so important that there's a book called Reading Karl Barth: A Companion to Karl Barth’s Epistle to the Romans which Faithlife carries, and yet you don't carry the book that it's about.
YesThanks for reminding me to vote!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Posts 607
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2020 7:54 PM

YesYes

Posts 808
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2020 8:30 PM

They’re sometimes strange like that. For example, having Thomas Merton but not his most famous work, “The Seven Storey Mountain.”

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3

Posts 1181
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2020 11:30 PM

This is one I definitely want. I've never read it in full and no longer have access to a hard copy. I do remember, however, FL saying in one of the threads that there were rights issues or confusion that they weren't able to straighten out.

Posts 18901
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2020 11:58 PM

David Wanat:

They’re sometimes strange like that. For example, having Thomas Merton but not his most famous work, “The Seven Storey Mountain.”

Sometimes it has to do with difficulties getting rights. But this was published back in 1918 so it's surely out of copyright by now. The PDF of it is available on Scribd (https://www.scribd.com/document/75027604/Karl-Barth-The-Epistle-to-the-Romans), but it's too much work to convert that into a PB.

Posts 10887
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 19 2020 12:21 AM

Rosie Perera:
Sometimes it has to do with difficulties getting rights. But this was published back in 1918 so it's surely out of copyright by now.

Unfortunately not. In most jurisdictions, copyright is protected for 70 years after the death of the author. Since Barth died 1968, this would mean that all of his writings become Public Domain on January 1, 2039 (maybe some fans set up a site in Canada with its 50 years-rule...). There may be some exceptions, e.g. in the US if a book was published early in the 20th century and copyright not renewed and then not revived through the "Uruguay Round" procedure - but given the massive interest in this book, I'm nearly certain that Faithlife would have it on offer if it was free of copyright    

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2046
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 19 2020 6:06 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thanks Rosie.  Added my voice...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS