Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 80
Rusty Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 26 2020 9:26 AM

MJ,

I have been around Logos since 2001. And admittedly, I am more of a Forum reader/studier than a poster. One of the first people I look to discover posts and responses is YOU. You are always clear, straightforward, and helpful. You seek to moderate discussions so that everyone feels comfortable to speak and is allowed to express his/her views (whether considered heretical or adversarial by others or not). 

Though some are not confortable with being addressed in such a straightforward manner or feel threatened by you addressing offenses, I am appreciative. I have observed your willingness to learn and to grow in not only your understanding of the Word and the software but also in dealing with the broader evangelical community.

Thank you for being here for us and for your transparency in this. 

Posts 2953
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2020 3:29 PM

MJ. Smith:
my communication style

Interesting.

I've always found you to be, if I may, "helpfully blunt." Once I figured out you are you, it didn't bother me any more. And had the communication been in person, doubt I'd have ever been bothered. You are at a disadvantage by being limited to a forum-style of communication.

It is what it is, and in a postmodern culture where the intent of the author carries little weight but the emotions of the reader are sacrosanct, you'll probably have to continue to deal with some criticism. But it won't be from me!

I appreciate all your help over the years, and a big reason my sig line has what it has is because of that.

Carry on.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 7546
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2020 5:41 PM

I always thought MJ and Denise were one and the same with just two different screen names 😂😂😂 I guess same religious and secular background can make two people sound almost identical.  The secular part I could be mistaken, but I guess I read somewhere about computer backgrounds?
I can tell them apart now 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 29758
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2020 7:02 PM

DAL:
I always thought MJ and Denise were one and the same with just two different screen names 😂😂😂

Denise is someone I'm comfortable being confused with ... but to keep us separate here are a few clues:

• MJ is strictly Pacific Northwest with short sojourns elsewhere; Denise is farther south despite a sojourn in the PNW.
  • MJ is a rancher's daughter; Denise's Dad was a preacher
  • While MJ, Denise, and SuperTramp were all raised in the Stone-Campbell Movement, we each ended up in different theological traditions.
  • MJ has ties to South Asia; Denise (and SuperTramp) have Japanese ties
  • SuperTramp won the biggest family prize.
  • and, yes, your memory that Denise and MJ share computer nerd-dom work history is accurate

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1566
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 27 2020 10:43 PM

MJ. Smith:
nerd-dom work history

In Finland it is said that we have a tradition that it is more important to be honest than polite.

Some software developers think it is a very good feature.

Hiding problems is not good in the software industry.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 11231
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2020 7:34 AM

MJ. Smith:
SuperTramp won the biggest family prize.

I do miss him. I think, from his struggles to overcome, while literally planning for his family's future.  I remember folks needed to question his chosen forum name. Things that seemed important.

MJ. Smith:
Denise and MJ share computer nerd-dom work history is accurate

My impression is that we come to the party from opposite perspectives. MJ, from her years of experience, seems to look at the practicality of how you deliver value (design, production, bug management). It's an area I don't have expertise in, and one that demands considerable discipline over time. My perspective arrives from managing the interface between software design, and use. Poor design costs literally hundreds of thousands in training costs, error occurance with customers, and employee turnover issues. For today's Logos, the software should be transparent to its use ... spirituality, and helping fellow Christians.

Between us, I'd think a decent match-up (smiling). With MJ, the smart one.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1496
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2020 8:04 AM

As one who has sometimes been accused of Spock-like communication, I can appreciate the OP.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 18630
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2020 11:09 AM

Denise:

MJ. Smith:
SuperTramp won the biggest family prize.

I do miss him. I think, from his struggles to overcome, while literally planning for his family's future.  I remember folks needed to question his chosen forum name. Things that seemed important.

+1 Yes miss Super Tramp and Milford Charles Murray

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 849
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 28 2020 12:12 PM

Ben:

As one who has sometimes been accused of Spock-like communication, I can appreciate the OP.

Indeed. There have been times where reactions to my comments took me totally by surprise because I never anticipated anyone would think I intended it that way. (The most embarrassing was when the theologian Giles Dimock OP thought I was personally attacking him). Perhaps my Aspergers sometimes keeps me from seeing implications that are obvious to other people. 

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Platinum

Posts 2850
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 1 2020 8:12 AM

I always read MJ's posts because they are helpful and knowledgeable.  I do not find her condescending or confrontational, and I have been reading her posts for years now.  I am glad she gives of her time to be of help on this forum.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 49
Angela Meister | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2020 9:25 AM

I don't even know what this is in regard to and I am rarely on here, but I have always enjoyed coming across something you have written. Some of us are more misunderstood than others. Compared to social media, these forums are a delight 99% of the time. God bless and keep you.Smile

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS