Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1125
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 29 2020 1:05 PM

Lately Faithlife has been announcing Same Day Release of some Bible commentaries and other reference books.

How do we know if a Same Day Release book is a Research Edition or a Reading Edition (https://www.logos.com/logos-editions)? I thought same day release was for books that you would read sequentially cover to cover, rather than a reference book that you might read at random places. I would not want a Bible commentary that did not have the full linking to other resources found in Research Editions.

How do you determine if a book is a Research Edition or a Reading Edition?

Posts 2008
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2020 1:59 PM

There's a facet, and it's on the product page in the Details section.

Clicking the link will display the matching results.

We won't be doing reference works that need special tagging as reader editions.

Posts 1125
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2020 2:20 PM

I looked on the product page for some of the recently announced products and could not find anything about the format on many of them. For example: Francis Maloney, The Apocalypse of John: A Commentary (https://www.logos.com/product/187082/the-apocalypse-of-john-a-commentary) and Atonement: Jewish and Christian Origins (https://www.logos.com/product/188773/atonement-jewish-and-christian-origins).

Somewhere I thought I read that a Same Day Release book was going to have minimal manual tagging in order to speed up the release process. That is why I thought same day releases would be Readers Editions.

Can I assume that it is a Research Edition if the product page does not say it is a Readers Edition or if it refers to it as a "Logos Edition" in the section on Benefits of the Logos Edition?

Posts 24
LogosEmployee
Thom Blair (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 11:43 AM

Hi, Harry. Thanks for your question! We don't always have the info we need to properly communicate these calls until the production process is underway. In the cases of the products you've mentioned, we were at a point where we could update the product details sections of the product pages in question and have done so.

Same Day Release titles can be Logos Reader Editions or Logos Research Editions. For these two products, they will both be Logos Research Editions.

Posts 1125
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 2:26 PM

Thom Blair (Faithlife):
Same Day Release titles can be Logos Reader Editions or Logos Research Editions.

How does one know which type a book is if the edition information is not updated in the description?

Also, is a Logos Reader Edition the same as a Faithlife eBook in terms of the links to other Logos resources?

Posts 24
LogosEmployee
Thom Blair (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 31 2020 7:19 PM

The Product Details section and the search facet posted above are the best indicators of the edition. You can also see a callout on Reader Editions that says "This is a Logos Reader Edition. Learn More." You're right that for Logos Reader Editions, the Benefits of Logos section begins with "In the Logos Reader Edition...." We're always working to improve the process of getting the best product information to our customers as early and consistently as we can.

>Also, is a Logos Reader Edition the same as a Faithlife eBook in terms of the links to other Logos resources?

Generally speaking, yes. There are some cases where we'll augment the tagging of a Reader edition, where helpful, but these are exceptions.

Posts 4096
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2020 7:03 AM

Thom Blair (Faithlife):

>Also, is a Logos Reader Edition the same as a Faithlife eBook in terms of the links to other Logos resources?

Generally speaking, yes. There are some cases where we'll augment the tagging of a Reader edition, where helpful, but these are exceptions.

All most people seem to care about is whether Logos Reader Editions have page numbers.

Posts 1125
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 5 2020 1:35 PM

SineNomine:
All most people seem to care about is whether Logos Reader Editions have page numbers.

Yes. Page numbers are critical in ebooks. This is one of the major flaws of Kindle books.

Also, we expect and assume that any digital book from Faithlife will have hyperlinks to the Bible.

Posts 4096
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 6 2020 6:08 AM

Harry Hahne:

Also, we expect and assume that any digital book from Faithlife will have hyperlinks to the Bible.

True. But if I had to choose... I'd prefer page numbers.

Posts 11219
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 6 2020 7:19 AM

Harry Hahne:
Yes. Page numbers are critical in ebooks. This is one of the major flaws of Kindle books.

Agree, a Bible related resource without a Bible TOC is pretty much unusable. Links, yes.

But Kindle-wise, I use the Kindle position numbers, as a stand-in for missing pages. Logos could do that, but they shrug for another year.

Mobile: 'Ok, looks like I'm about 1/3 of the way; can't tell what chapter, but hey, it's Logos.'

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS