Help identifying greek characters

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 196
Edil | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 2 2020 8:26 PM

Hello,

Sorry for bothering with such insipid request but can a "greek geek" please identify and provide me the greek characters in this image:

Then I need to search for each of those words in Logos. I'm using Windows 10. Do I need ***this product*** to do that?

Regards.

Posts 23643
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 2 2020 11:39 PM

Edil:
Then I need to search for each of those words in Logos. I'm using Windows 10. Do I need ***this product*** to do that?

I'm not sure about some of the words but once you have identified them, you should be able to search for them without buying the keyboard product

Enter g:transliterated-word such as g:kalon in a search panel and select the term from the drop-down menu

Posts 196
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 5:25 AM

Graham, thanks for the help

Ok I opened "The Greek New Testament UBS4" in Logos and found that the fonts on that resource looks similar to the fonts in the words on the image. So I began visually searching character by character copy-pasting them, and I think that I was able to construct the second word of the sentence on the image:

I opened the search and click on the keyboard selector icon to switch to greek language. Tried it but got no results Sad Anyways I cannot identify all the characters on the other words and i need all of them Sad

Posts 23643
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 6:22 AM

Edil:
I opened the search and click on the keyboard selector icon to switch to greek language. Tried it but got no results

You don't need to switch to the greek keyboard - although it should work if you do

Alternatively, you can prefix the term with g: and use transliterated tex

What happens when you use either of these methods?

Posts 2241
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 7:16 AM

Logos USED TO offer a great utility (Shibboleth) that would allow a user to pick from a list and it would compile a word. The utility is no longer supported or offered, but this thread links to a wayback archive that still has the program. I just installed it today on a new computer. - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/172513.aspx 

Shibboleth is useful for users who do not know that the "backwards 3" is an epsilon and transliterated as an "e"; or that Greek "n" looks like a "v" so that tektouos is different from tektonos.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 196
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 7:23 AM

Graham again thanks.

Ok, by using the transliterated text the search did work! Big Smile

But I tried with the greek and it didn't Sad

Anyways I got some of the other characters, but I'm having a hard time with the first and last word in the image.

Anybody else that can help me identifying all the characters?

Posts 196
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 7:25 AM

David thanks for the suggestion will take a look.

Posts 248
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 7:44 AM

Hi Edil, 

I haven't figured out the first word yet (though it starts  - so**, possibly soph*) but the last one is ποικίλμα - poikilma in English letters. 

Shalom, 

Colin

PS I did find it with the first word 'sophou' in The Almost Christian Discovered by Matthew Mead. He uses it as if it is a quotation in which case he may have misremembered the order from a footnote in Plato's Republic. See here http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0168%3Abook%3D7%3Asection%3D529c

If you have Perseus in Logos no doubt it will turn up in the results. It is from the Sisyphus fragment. 

It shows up in the same order here 

https://sites.google.com/site/evangelictheology/t/t0000001/t00000002#_ftn68

Posts 196
Edil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 4:31 PM

Colin,

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much.

I do have the Perseus collection...  it was hidden and I forgot Embarrassed

Thank you all.

Posts 18669
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 3 2020 5:53 PM

Searching for σοφοῦ τέκτονος καλὸν ποίκιλμα finds these four words in a bit different order in my Logos library: e.g.

Plut., Placita philosophorum 1.6 in Placita Philosophorum (Greek) includes:

τὸ τʼ ἀστερωπὸν οὐρανοῦ σέλας,

χρόνου καλὸν ποίκιλμα, τέκτονος σοφοῦ.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS