Paper Bible integration

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Casey Dudek | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 11 2020 10:17 AM

After trying to go all digital I've found that I really do still love to read and study my paper Bible, and I am sure that I'm not alone. There is no denying the great advantages that Logos offers though and I have no plans to stop using it. I find myself going back and forth between the two without any symmetry at all and it leaves me feeling that there is a lost opportunity for integration, somewhere, somehow. 

At the very least I would like to have a quicker simpler way to add notes to what I'm reading and have some kind of "to do" reminder sent to me to remind me to add the notes to my paper Bible. I think that this may just be the tip if the iceberg though and that there may be a lot of great ways to integrate.

One last random point to bolster my idea; reading comprehension is just better on paper. A friend of mine is big on this so I did some quick research to undermine his position, but I couldn't honestly do it. The majority or research shows at least a modest gain in reading comprehension from paper. 

Posts 487
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 5:09 AM

Not to mention that it has been demonstrated that retention is better when paper notes and work are done, as opposed to typing everything on a computer - someone did a study of university students, half the class on notes, the other on computers, and the paper-based kids did better on tests. It just helps one process better.

So like you I LOVE Logos, but the fact is that I will be doing paper-based Bible Study for the rest of my life... Cool

Posts 11053
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 5:46 AM

Casey Dudek:
At the very least I would like to have a quicker simpler way to add notes to what I'm reading and have some kind of "to do" reminder sent to me to remind me to add the notes to my paper Bible.

I thought this last go-around, Logos intro'd some sort of verse scanner ... maybe the opposite of the desired here?  But a quick scanner would allow attaching notes (paper verse > Logos note-entry or call-up).

I think paper vs digital is personal, and statistical (eg 'most'). Both involve optical memory paths, but differ in 'what's happening' at the time of reading. For many years, I read the Aramaic Bible on paper. It's really quite interesting. I thought the digital in Logos would be cold, brittle, and just 'search-y', so I didn't buy it. Turns out, more useful ... still fun, convenient, memorable, and yes, even search-y. I'm ready to clear out space in the sewing room library.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 574
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 15 2020 1:25 PM

Technically I think it would be possible to do some robust paper-digital integration where you could have a full paper Bible and when you wrote a note in that paper Bible it would automatically be created and synced to the same place in a digital Bible. The basic idea behind this technology has been around for maybe a decade or more, if I remember correctly.

Remember the Livescribe pens and the notebooks which had printed markings that the pen read to keep track of location and do other things? I guess this stuff is still around, but it has never been very popular.

Upscaling that project to a whole-Bible level would be a monumental undertaking and almost certainly not commercially viable. 

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS