RESOLVED: Grammatical roles have disappeared in BWS

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 30221
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 17 2020 12:58 AM

The semantic roles work as expected but all references to grammatical roles appear to have disappeared from the Clause Participants section. Just when I need it I find it MIA ...

Ignore all written documentation and run against a Greek verb ... the grammar is verb oriented ... think more in line with dependency grammars.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1138
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 4:18 PM

This sounds like a significant bug indeed.

I just tried on several words in Greek and Hebrew and I was able to get the Grammatical Roles for Clause Participants. I am using 8.17 beta 1.

Posts 8885
LogosEmployee

MJ. Smith:
all references to grammatical roles appear to have disappeared from the Clause Participants section

They appear to be there in your screenshot.

What are you expecting to see, and what are you seeing instead?

Posts 4448
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 6:32 PM

Nothing to see here.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 30221
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 6:36 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

"In relation to ..." is a grammatical role? I expect to see familiar grammatical terms

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 23638
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2020 11:11 PM

Hi MJ

You flagged this sometime ago (2016) in relation to nouns - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/122802.aspx 

It looks as though that issue still stands - but not a recent change!

Posts 30221
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 1:47 AM

Graham Criddle:
You flagged this sometime ago (2016) in relation to nouns

Says something about how often I use this Big Smile

Posts 8885
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 10:18 AM

MJ. Smith:

"In relation to ..." is a grammatical role? I expect to see familiar grammatical terms

Bear in mind that I know nothing about this section or what it's supposed to produce Big Smile but I see "grammatical" terms when I run it for a verb.

Posts 8885
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 10:18 AM

Graham Criddle:

You flagged this sometime ago (2016) in relation to nouns - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/122802.aspx 

It looks as though that issue still stands - but not a recent change!

Oh, Graham already pointed out (that you had already pointed out) the verb vs noun difference.

Posts 30221
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 11:47 AM

Oh, Graham already pointed out (that you had already pointed out) the verb vs noun difference.

But I have not gotten a satisfactory answer as to why the application tells me it is going to present something (grammatical roles) and then doesn't ... although I can prove from elsewhere that the data exists. It seems as if a programmer put in a place marker and never went back to actually code the section. The fact that in 4 years I haven't been given a reasonable answer to what is a self-evident problem would normally get a rant. However, since I solved a different long-standing Logos mystery last night, I'm in too good a mood to write one. However, the problem will be highlighted, along with other bugs, in the daily tips I am creating again.

Posts 4448
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 7:12 AM

MJ. Smith:

But I have not gotten a satisfactory answer as to why the application tells me it is going to present something (grammatical roles) and then doesn't

Combining with the fact that you reported this four years ago and nothing has changed, perhaps the answer is that nobody uses this feature so nobody cares to fix it. That wouldn't be good, though.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 30221
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:47 PM

SineNomine:
perhaps the answer is that nobody uses this feature so nobody cares to fix it.

I would certainly hope nobody uses it because it doesn't provide any information resembling what it claims to provide. The question is would people use it if it actually worked.  My experience with Logos is that people are slow to complain about bad data.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS