Page 2 of 13 (245 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 244 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 7
Brian Hollifield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 8:24 AM

Zipscript

Posts 177
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 8:35 AM

I love Instant Verse Study. It is so much fadter than using the passage guide. I was recently attending axworkshop and a verse was mentioned I wanted to check out. In a 15 min break. I was able to get a quick analysis instantly. I love the passage guide, but it is too slow and too in depth for this kind of instant check.

Posts 102
Joey Midgett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 8:39 AM

Nathan Parker:

Strong's Talking Dictionary would be nice. Since Logos already has the audio pronunciations, just adding the links to the pronunciations to all lexicons would be a handy feature.

The English audio pronunciations would be nice too. Logos already has these as well, but adding them to the right-click menu in Bibles would be nice.

Logos already has the groundwork laid here. Simply adding them to a few easy to access places would be great.

I second this!

Posts 9433
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 8:44 AM

cshover8669:
I love Instant Verse Study. It is so much fadter than using the passage guide. I was recently attending axworkshop and a verse was mentioned I wanted to check out. In a 15 min break. I was able to get a quick analysis instantly. I love the passage guide, but it is too slow and too in depth for this kind of instant check.

While I've never used it, it sounds like a nice feature to be added to Logos. Yes

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11530
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 8:53 AM

ABWJR:
"Strongs" also has been mentioned and I'll second it here.  But again, I think I accidently came upon something that mimics it, If only I can remember how..

Strongs are supported by Logos (even though real Hebrew and Greek lemmas are superior - I can understand going by a number rather than signs in a script one can't even read) - Reverse interlinears will display those and some lexicon resources are keyed to Strongs.  

The screenshot shows a bible with "reverse interlinear" functionality to the right (I choose the LEB, which is free, but you may have NIV, CSB, KJV, ESV, NRSV.... with this functionlity in your library). Click the Aleph&Omega Button and make sure Strongs is selected. Clicking the Strong-# will open the highest prioritized lexicon you own that is keyed to Strongs, mouse-over will offer the definition from this lexicon in a popup.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1
Blaine E. Bauman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:04 AM

My favorite feature of Wordsearch is the ability to generate a listing of all the books that I own.  This list could then be copied to the computer clipboard and pasted into Word or Excel to create an index of the books.  I do not see anything like that in Logos.

Posts 11530
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:08 AM

Blaine E. Bauman:

My favorite feature of Wordsearch is the ability to generate a listing of all the books that I own.  This list could then be copied to the computer clipboard and pasted into Word or Excel to create an index of the books.  I do not see anything like that in Logos.

Go to the Library and hit Ctrl-P (or go to the "kebap" menu with the three vertical dots on the top right of the library pane and select Print/Export), this will allow you to export the list of resources you own to a spreadsheet file.

Posts 4845
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:13 AM

ABWJR:
Certainly, I was going to say "Carousel" but you demonstrated a way to do it in Logos. In Wordsearch you can choose how many Bibles and in what order they are, which is very nice.

In Logos, the answer to how many is "All of them"* and the order is determined by Prioritization: https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019683652-Prioritize-Resources

*Unless a particular Bible doesn't have the reference in question. For example, the Lexham English Septuagint will not appear if you're cycling through versions of John 6!

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 177
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:13 AM

faster not fadter.

Posts 4
Cynthia Ellis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:22 AM

In Wordsearch I could click a button to get the Strong's Numbers for a passage, not just a word search for the Greek or Hebrew; and I can't do that with Logos 8.  The tutorials on this are for Logos 7, and are not applicable, because it keeps referring to an Interlinear Function that I don't see in Logos 8.  I think I clicked on at least a dozen links on the FaithLife website, none of which were helpful.  Make it where you can add Strong's Numbers to any passage with a click of a button.  All of this makes me not want to use this software as it's not as user friendly as Wordsearch.  More bells and whistles aren't necessarily a good thing... it's biblical equivalent of a "clanging gong or cymbal"  Sometimes simpler is better because it's more intuitive

Posts 4
Cynthia Ellis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:24 AM

My Logos 8 doesn't have that button.  How do you get that button?

Posts 11530
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:27 AM

Cynthia Ellis:

My Logos 8 doesn't have that button.  How do you get that button?

It's available in some, but not all bibles. It should be available even in the free Basic version of Logos for at least LEB - in other bibles it depends on your license. Which did you try

Posts 4
Cynthia Ellis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:32 AM

Thanks.  I found it in LEB, although I've never used that translation before, but it's also in KJV, so I'm good now.  Thanks.  Wordsearch is still more intuitive than Logos 8 IMHO though.

Posts 325
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:41 AM

An actual useable program whose functions are easy to use...reasonably priced resources...an  interface that actually is intuitive without videos and training camps.

Posts 12
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:57 AM

Bob Price:
Check out the "Copy Bible Verses" tool in Logos.

Copy Bible Verses tool is indeed a great tool but the program has to be open in order to use it. If I'm writing a casual email, or something else, and want to quote a verse, I have to open Logos, wait for it to load etc... With ZipScript, I just click on it in  my taskbar and it is immediate.

Granted, if you are writing papers and things, you'll probably have the program open. I am just a layperson though and if I'm emailing something to a friend, having ZipScript is a much faster and convenient way of getting the verses into the document or email.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 22
Richard Ogg | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:19 PM

Rick:

Bob Price:
Check out the "Copy Bible Verses" tool in Logos.

Copy Bible Verses tool is indeed a great tool but the program has to be open in order to use it. If I'm writing a casual email, or something else, and want to quote a verse, I have to open Logos, wait for it to load etc... With ZipScript, I just click on it in  my taskbar and it is immediate.

Granted, if you are writing papers and things, you'll probably have the program open. I am just a layperson though and if I'm emailing something to a friend, having ZipScript is a much faster and convenient way of getting the verses into the document or email.

In one of the videos (don't ask me which one or where) I saw it talk about an add-on for some Microsoft products what would allow you to enter a reference into your document, select it, click the tool, and choose "replace with passage" or something like that. Maybe they have what you used ZipScript for.

Posts 22
Richard Ogg | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:22 PM

I like to use WS during a class or sermon and take notes. I use a different notes file for each pastor rather than constantly noting the reference. (Just "class" for classes.) I assume we'll get our notes files eventually and they will become notebooks of notes.

Feature:

In that mode, when the speaker references a different verse, I just type an abbreviation of the reference in the notes. Then I can hover over the reference and get a pop-up of the passage. Nice when you just want to quickly see the whole verse or short passage without jumping there and needing to get back where you came from.

Posts 12
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:54 PM

Richard Ogg:
In one of the videos (don't ask me which one or where) I saw it talk about an add-on for some Microsoft products

What you describe sounds like a tool called Smart tags. The downside to Smart Tags, as I understand it, is that it is completely unsupported by Faithlife, therefore when something goes wrong, you have to ask for help on the forums in order to try and figure out what went wrong.

I have seen numerous posts in the forums where people have problems with it working (usually after an Office update or change) and they have to ask for help getting it started again. The Wiki has troubleshooting tips such as using Power Shell to fix Smart Tags but that all seems too complex.

For me, ZipScript is easy and never gave me any problems. I never had to worry if whether or not it was going to work if I changed my Office installation. It worked in all programs that supported pasting and it was fully supported too.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 102
The Flanary's | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 2:01 PM

I need to reiterate what someone else said: Copy Bible Verse was much better in WS12 
I'm using both programs right now in lesson prep as I try to get accustomed, but copying verses over from Logos is clunky.
I've adjusted the "style" formats and it still seems to require constant reformatting. Adding the "1900" to "KJV" is completely unnecessary and almost every option includes the "1900".

This is, in my opinion, the common text layout for scripture citation:
Jude 1:20-21 (KJV) 20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21  Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

But accomplishing that in Logos is proving a challenge

Posts 565
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 2:20 PM

Joey Midgett:

Nathan Parker:

Strong's Talking Dictionary would be nice. Since Logos already has the audio pronunciations, just adding the links to the pronunciations to all lexicons would be a handy feature.

The English audio pronunciations would be nice too. Logos already has these as well, but adding them to the right-click menu in Bibles would be nice.

Logos already has the groundwork laid here. Simply adding them to a few easy to access places would be great.

I second this!

I second this also. Logos has a makeshift way of doing audio pronunciations of English Bible words...if you prioritize the book "That's Easy for You to Say" in the right place, but it always felt kind of make-shift to me. WS rendered the feature more nicely.

Page 2 of 13 (245 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS