Page 6 of 10 (181 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
This post has 180 Replies | 24 Followers

Posts 26
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 10:42 AM

The Flanary's:

I've adjusted the "style" formats and it still seems to require constant reformatting. Adding the "1900" to "KJV" is completely unnecessary and almost every option includes the "1900".
Jude 1:20-21 (KJV) 20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21  Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

KJV 1900 is just the short name of the translation in Logos. You can change it. 

Go to the Info pane (CTRL/CMD+Shift+I). Click the little pencil next to KJV 1900 and change it to just KJV. Viola!

On copy Bible Verse, go to "Create New Style" and paste this in: 

%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
<p><b>[FullPassageRef] ([Version]): </b>
=ForEachVerse
<sup>[VerseNum]</sup>[VerseText]
=Footer
</p>

That gives me: 

Jude 20–21 (KJV): 20But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

If you want a space between the verse numbers and the verses, just use this instead:

%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
=ForEachVerse
<sup>[VerseNum]</sup> [VerseText] 
=Footer
</p>

Posts 2
Jeff Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 6:27 PM

Save your Desktop - last desktop used or create your own.

Posts 9305
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 6:39 PM

Jeff Frazier:

Save your Desktop - last desktop used or create your own.

Desktops are called layouts in Logos and you can save them. Look for the Layouts icon in the upper right of the main Logos window.

BTW: You also can set how Logos opens. Take a look at Program Settings under the Tools Menu. The first item in settings lets you select what you want the program to open to.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 72
The Flanary's | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 9:46 AM

Justin Gatlin:

The Flanary's:

I've adjusted the "style" formats and it still seems to require constant reformatting. Adding the "1900" to "KJV" is completely unnecessary and almost every option includes the "1900".
Jude 1:20-21 (KJV) 20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21  Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

KJV 1900 is just the short name of the translation in Logos. You can change it. 

Go to the Info pane (CTRL/CMD+Shift+I). Click the little pencil next to KJV 1900 and change it to just KJV. Viola!

On copy Bible Verse, go to "Create New Style" and paste this in: 

%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
=ForEachVerse
<sup>[VerseNum]</sup>[VerseText]
=Footer
</p>

That gives me: 

Jude 20–21 (KJV): 20But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

If you want a space between the verse numbers and the verses, just use this instead:

%NoFootnotes
%NoCitation

=Header
=ForEachVerse
<sup>[VerseNum]</sup> [VerseText] 
=Footer
</p>

You win the internet today! Thank you so much! The "1900" was making me crazy Stick out tongue

The community here is great

Stop talking about missing the "Old Saints" and be an Old Saint

Posts 556
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 9:59 AM

One of the things I liked in WordSearch was that ability to minimize panes. I also liked that I could name those panes.  When I have a lot of resources open in a desktop it makes it easier to work with.  I can work around the minimizing by resizing a pane to its shortest possible height (clicking on the top of the pane if it is in a lower quadrant and dragging it down to its shortest possible height). If it is in an upper quadrant of my desktop I click and drag it up. If I want to move a pane to another area of my desktop I press SHIFT, click on any tab in the pane and drag it to where I want it. The only thing that I really cannot do is to name a pane that has multiple resource tabs.  There is a work around for this as well. I create a personal book for each type of pane such as commentaries, dictionaries, study bibles, etc. I then place that personal book at the far right of the pane in which it belongs. In this personal book I list other possible resources that I might find helpful including web links and then add whatever comments I might like to have regarding this particular pane. using this system I am able to have a large number of panes on my desktop at a time and not have to switch between different layouts. I am open to any suggestions or recommendations on how to make my desktops more efficient.

Posts 4108
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 10:33 AM

Michael - I use multiple displays. I have a cheap 41" 4k tv in the middle - ~200$ on sale from best buy, and on either side a pair of 100$ 24" displays. In general, I put what I'm working on (read/writing/etc) in the middle along with the 2-3 resources I'm referencing most, and then the rest of them go on one of the other two displays., 

Usually my desk is covered with dead tree format books also... 

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 12
JLH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 1:06 PM

I tired this on the Interpreters Bible, but the different volumes in set still do not link.

Posts 12
JLH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 1:38 PM

Ref: "It's pretty simple to do. Open a commentary that covers the whole Bible (no matter how many volumes). Just open one volume. (Logos automatically puts all the volumes of a commentary set in a series.) Open a Bible. Under the 3 stacked dots menu, select Link Set A (or any other letter you choose). Do the same for the commentary series, using the same letter you chose in the Bible. Now type a reference in the Bible. Your commentary will jump to that reference."

Did not work for me.

Posts 23356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 2:01 PM

JLH:
Did not work for me.

Sorry to hear that.

I suggest you start a new thread in this forum and provide as many details as possible - including a screen shot. That way this specific issue is less likely to get missed among everything else being discussed in this thread.

Posts 6
Tim Olson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 2:08 PM

I don't see this option to export in Logos 8. Is there another way?

Posts 10919
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 2:48 PM

You replied to my earlier post

NB.Mick:

Blaine E. Bauman:

My favorite feature of Wordsearch is the ability to generate a listing of all the books that I own.  This list could then be copied to the computer clipboard and pasted into Word or Excel to create an index of the books.  I do not see anything like that in Logos.

Go to the Library and hit Ctrl-P (or go to the "kebap" menu with the three vertical dots on the top right of the library pane and select Print/Export), this will allow you to export the list of resources you own to a spreadsheet file.

Tim Olson:

I don't see this option to export in Logos 8. Is there another way?

There may be (with bibliographic documents) but let's try first to see it, since it's there for you as for me. Here the "kepab" menu is highlighted and opened, it has Print/Export roughly in the middle, indicated by the red arrow.

when the library is not floated in its own window, that menu is again on the top right of the visible library tab (not to be confused with the application menu looking similar on the top right corner of the application)

I prefer to float the library (and the details view, but this is just my preference). Once you click Print/Export, you normally can select what to print and how etc, however, from the library, print is not supported, only export:

This should give you what you need.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 15
Bill McVicker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2020 1:50 PM

Hi,

1) Zipscript, as others have said it allows you to paste Bible verses even if Logos is not running as well as it doesn't matter what program your pasting into.  

2) In WS you can right-click on a Strong's number in a Bible passage and search where else that word was used in the Bible.  This is very handy and quick when looking for additional comparisons of how a word.is translated and used.

3) I love the Strong's talking dictionary (which I see is in process)

4) I like the info window, when it was open and you hovered over a verse reference... instead of it showing up in a floating window (which is nice for quick references) the Bible reference is instead directed to the info window in the translation(s) you wish... so you can get a better context of the passage. 

5) I like the resource view... 

6) Lessonmaker... while very dated is a good concept for organizing our Bible Studies 

7) I also like when I click on a verse in WS... it will highlight that verse

Posts 23356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2020 1:58 PM

Bill McVicker:
2) In WS you can right-click on a Strong's number in a Bible passage and search where else that word was used in the Bible.  This is very handy and quick when looking for additional comparisons of how a word.is translated and used.

It's worth looking at the context menu in Logos (right-click a word to open it) which allows you to search on a range of options including Strong's Number as shown

Bill McVicker:
4) I like the info window, when it was open and you hovered over a verse reference... instead of it showing up in a floating window (which is nice for quick references) the Bible reference is instead directed to the info window in the translation(s) you wish... so you can get a better context of the passage. 

The Power Lookup Tool does something similar - though not identical

Posts 15
Bill McVicker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2020 2:12 PM

Thank you, for you quick reply I had seen the context menu... and was overwhelmed with it's content... I missed the search in section...  your example helped greatly 

And as far as the info window goes... I think I answered my own question... there's an option in the kabab to "send hyperlinks here" so I opened another version of the Bible I wanted and set that... so now when I click on a hyperlink for a Bible reference that bible gets repositioned there and I'm  all good.

Posts 23356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2020 2:47 PM

Bill McVicker:
Thank you, for you quick reply I had seen the context menu... and was overwhelmed with it's content... I missed the search in section...  your example helped greatly 

Excellent

Bill McVicker:
And as far as the info window goes... I think I answered my own question... there's an option in the kabab to "send hyperlinks here" so I opened another version of the Bible I wanted and set that... so now when I click on a hyperlink for a Bible reference that bible gets repositioned there and I'm  all good.

Yes - that would work well

Posts 18624
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2020 3:24 PM

Bill McVicker:

Logos uses original language Lemma more than Strong's numbering of Greek & Hebrew Lemma's.

Right Click context menu in a Bible with Reverse Interlinear (OR an original language Bible) includes Lemma and Root

Right Click => Lemma has Bible Word Study link, which can show translation rings (can click on a ring segment to show verses).

Right Click => Lemma has Pronounce so can hear Lemma spoken. Homeschool starter bundle included Greek Pronunciations Dataset (Koine)

Bible Word Study includes Root section that shows related original language Lemma's (something missing from Strong's numbering).

Right Click => Root can search Bible to find related word translations: e.g. <Root = lbs/el/χαιρω> (as shown in screen shot bottom left)

Most (if not all) Lexicons in Logos/Verbum have original language Lemma indexing: e.g. Greek Headwords. Some Lexicons also have Strong's number indexing. One option is prioritizing Lexicons so Right Click Lemma lookup has Top Five lexicons of Lemma indexing (without Strong's) while Strong's Number lookup has five more Lexicon choices. Thread => searching strong's numbers has prioritization example from 2011.

Bill McVicker:
3) I love the Strong's talking dictionary (which I see is in process)

Personally like Greek Audio New Testament so can use Read Aloud for Greek New Testament: e.g. Revelation 4:8 

Ἅγιος ἅγιος ἅγιος κύριος, ὁ θεός, ὁ παντοκράτωρ, ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9
ABWJR | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2020 6:56 PM

Before replying, I guess I'd say I wish this forum was more intuitive in terms of how to post, upload pics and both quote and reply directly to someone. Perhaps you can't do that OR perhaps it just doesn't work well with Safari. Particularly the uploading of pics doesn;t work and the reCAPATHA works intermittently. No need to respond to this as I won't be monitoring. Huh?

Anyway, what I am starting to miss most is the ability to highlight (by selection) a passage of scirpture in a Bible- my group driver- and have that passage sync so that it is also highlighted when I select or carousel to any other Bible. It saves a lot of time directing your eyes exactly where they need to go in the next Bible when the paragraphs are formatted differently. 

Now, let's see if reCAPTCHA will work... Big Smile

Posts 18624
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 26 2020 7:32 PM

ABWJR:
Anyway, what I am starting to miss most is the ability to highlight (by selection) a passage of scirpture in a Bible- my group driver- and have that passage sync so that it is also highlighted when I select or carousel to any other Bible.

Three Bibles open with Corresponding Selection checked in Visual Filter menu (three dots). Selecting Bible Text in Center Bible with Corresponding Selection highlighting in the other two Bibles

Thankful can turn off display of chapter & verse numbering (a number of places lack alignment with original language discourse thoughts).

ABWJR:
Before replying, I guess I'd say I wish this forum was more intuitive in terms of how to post, upload pics and both quote and reply directly to someone.

Logos wiki has => Using the Forums

FYI: personally use Opera on macOS 10.15.7 for Community Forum discussions (use Safari for other websites).

Many months ago, thousands of SPAM posts/replies flowed in so posting became a bit more challenging. One residual effect from SPAM is needing to use an internet search engine to find previous posts. If a forum search includes SPAM, then an error appears.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 54
John Simpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 29 2020 10:21 AM

Bibles or commentaries can be flagged as "group drivers" for other a sync group. When a book is a group driver other books in its sync group will follow it, but it will not follow other books in its group. To toggle the group driver on or off, use the down-arrow next to the window's sync button:

Bibles, commentaries, and dictionary windows have a feature known as a carousel. A carousel allows you to set up a list of favorite books that you can flip to rapidly without opening multiple windows. To set up or use a carousel, use the controls at the bottom of a carousel-equipped window (on the bottom left corner of a Bible, commentary, or dictionary window):

Use the Manage Carousel button ws11managecarousel to add, remove, or reorder books in the carousel. Use the arrow buttons ws11cararrows to flip between books in the carousel.

I miss

1. being able to scroll the commentary without affecting the Bible window
  2. being able to use the Home button to return to the first book in the carousel
  3. being able to use the mouse to flip to the next book in the carousel
  4. being able to prioritize multi-volume sets in the carousel without an issue
  5. the carousel just skipping commentaries that have with no content on the passage instead of going to a random reference

Posts 2
Timothy Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 30 2020 12:49 PM

However, I can not seem to put them in the order that I want them... It defaults to alphabet order???

Page 6 of 10 (181 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS