Page 12 of 15 (283 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last »
This post has 282 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 2583
LogosEmployee

John W Gillis:
It finally dawns on me why I become lost in this tool: clearing the filter never struck me as an obvious next step.When I got to this point, I had no idea how to make my selection "stick".

The key point is that you need to check the box next to the resource. Clicking the checkbox next to an item selects it and moves it to the top part of the popup. The top part lists the selected resources and the bottom lists all the available options. Typing in the box filters both the list of selected resources and the available resources.

John W Gillis:
I'm not seeing this in Logos, BTW. No matter how many Bibles I add to the comparison list, they remain in columns, and the "extra" texts just run off the page to the right

Most likely your options in the panel menu are set to Horizontal instead of Automatic layout.

Posts 19157
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2021 7:54 PM

John W Gillis:

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
#1: Column Mode, with 4 Bibles (this view becomes a multi-row grid of entries if the needed display width exceeds the pane width).

I'm not seeing this in Logos, BTW. No matter how many Bibles I add to the comparison list, they remain in columns, and the "extra" texts just run off the page to the right, so you have to scroll over to them. What I was referencing in Wordsearch is the kind of grid representation in the screenshot below. FWIW, I see minimal value in it, but it was nice occasionally for a birds-eye view of how a large number of versions treated a particular verse. Here's an easily-digestible view of how 16 English versions translate a verse:

Found my Logos library does not have Montgomery NT, Mace NT, Modern Language Bible (MLB), Moffat (The Historical New Testament: A New Translation is Type: Bible Commentary so does not appear in Text Comparison list as Bible Books in this resource are in a chronological order)

Replicated Logos "Horizontal Layout (Columns)" scrolling (left & right) when have more Bibles to display than column width:

Screen shot shows lots of Bibles in Horizontal & Vertical layouts (where some Bibles are not on screen in Horizontal layout).

WS Parallel Bibles has tool lines for visual guidance while Logos has white space. Dreaming of a tool line every 5 resources to improve readability. Thankful customized Bible abbreviations appear in Text Comparison.

John W Gillis:

#3: Selection Management Dialog Box (triggered by clicking "Add Translation" button)

WS Parallel Bibles selection list is longer for ordering selected Bibles while Logos is limited to 6 lines of selected Bibles (so dragging a Bible over many lines to change order is cumbersome, provides incentive to select a collection for comparison)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 68
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 4:37 AM

Most likely your options in the panel menu are set to Horizontal instead of Automatic layout.

Well, yes... I thought you had indicated above that column mode became a grid format if the collective column widths exceeded the pane?

Regardless, I can't get it to do a grid presentation in Automatic Layout, either. Testing it on two computers (one running Logos 9.1.0.0018, the other Verbum 9.1.0.0018), both Automatic and Vertical layout selections consistently give me Row mode,and Horizontal gives me Column mode (with no grid transformation).

Can you post a screenshot of. what you get for a grid presentation?

Typing in the box filters both the list of selected resources and the available resources.

Yes, it all makes sense once it's been pointed out. I'm just curious how often people need to be told how to use a tool that would seem like it should be very easy to use. Could just be me?

Posts 2583
LogosEmployee

John W Gillis:

Well, yes... I thought you had indicated above that column mode became a grid format if the collective column widths exceeded the pane?

Regardless, I can't get it to do a grid presentation in Automatic Layout, either. Testing it on two computers (one running Logos 9.1.0.0018, the other Verbum 9.1.0.0018), both Automatic and Vertical layout selections consistently give me Row mode,and Horizontal gives me Column mode (with no grid transformation).

I think I might have misunderstood you. Are you saying that WordSearch has three different layouts? Column mode has two different layouts depending on the width, and Row mode has just the one layout?

Logos only has two display modes, Horizontal and Vertical. The Automatic mode will automatically switch between those two modes depending on the width of the display. Screenshots of both were shown in my earlier post.

Posts 17
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 9:47 AM

#4: Changing translation by typing in the Find box, clicking the checkbox, then clear the filter and drag the item to the desired place in the list of checked resources.

Thank you, Andrew, so much for a simple explanation to a real problem I've had forever. I have been using Logos since disk days and have not known how to really adjust the bible versions to display in Text Comparisons. Only by accident would I get what I wanted to display. How simple, just clear the filter. Amazing!!

I have watched training videos done by Logos and also by Morris, I do not recall anyone ever giving this simple instruction. Needless to say as the result of your instruction I will use TC more in the future.

Thanks again!!

Posts 19157
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 9:51 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Please share what task(s) are quicker in WS.

Suggestions Thread => Collapse Table of contents included:

xnman:

In WS we could expand (+ icon) or decrease (- icon) ... the menu of most screens that had a menu on them.

I miss it in Logos.

Curious about WS screen shot(s) showing expand or decrease.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 75
Posts 2583
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 10:54 AM

John Simpson:
Grid mode in Wordsearch Parallel Bible shown here here:  https://office.wordsearchbible.com/help/12/en/index.html?parallelbiblewindow.htm 

Ah, I see. Logos doesn't have anything like that.

Posts 7
Peter Kozushko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 11:13 AM

How do I search for variant rating in the UBS Version 5 Apparatus? It does not search the standard way with <{D}> or <D>. 

Posts 19157
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 11:48 AM

Peter Kozushko:

How do I search for variant rating in the UBS Version 5 Apparatus? It does not search the standard way with <{D}> or <D>. 

Welcome Big Smile

Inline search can find {D}

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Peter Kozushko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 11:53 AM

What version of Logos do you have? 

Posts 7
Peter Kozushko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 11:59 AM

This is what my search engine looks like:

Posts 7
Peter Kozushko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 12:00 PM

This is what my search engine looks like:

Posts 7
Peter Kozushko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 12:00 PM

I don't have two search windows like you do.

Posts 19157
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 12:07 PM

Peter Kozushko:

What version of Logos do you have? 

Dark Mode is in Logos 9.2 Release Candidate 1 (has my purchased library)

Thankful can use Logos and Verbum at the same time. My demonstration library (order total of $ 0.00) is in Verbum 8.17 SR-3 that does not have UBS5 Apparatus so screen shot shows Society of Biblical Literature Edition Apparatus for the Greek New Testament pop-up: Inline Search

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Peter Kozushko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 12:12 PM

Logos 8. It doesn't appear to have the same additional search that you have.

Posts 19157
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 12:15 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Thankful can use Logos and Verbum at the same time. My demonstration library (order total of $ 0.00) is in Verbum 8.17 SR-3 that does not have UBS5 Apparatus so screen shot shows Society of Biblical Literature Edition Apparatus for the Greek New Testament pop-up: Inline Search

Oops Stick out tongue as the only search in Logos & Verbum that can find special characters is Find (In This Panel)

Dreaming of UBS5 Apparatus resource modification to encode Variant Rating in its own field for searching (like Negative Apparatus Text & Positive Apparatus Text fields in SBLGNT & SBLGNTAPP)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Peter Kozushko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2021 12:21 PM

Bravo!!! Thanks.

Posts 75
John Simpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2021 9:01 AM

It is possible to mimic the Wordsearch Parallel Bible grid using multiple Text Comparison windows.

Posts 647
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2021 10:25 AM

Thanks John. I hadn't thought about doing this. I was able to set up 3 text comparisons on my main monitor with 5 translations in each text comparison.  I can have my main bible in a floating window on my secondary monitor. Realistically I probably won't need 15 translations but nice to know I can bring them up if I need them. Now I just have to decide which translations I need in text comparison and then create a layout for them.

Page 12 of 15 (283 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS