Bible Software Consolidation -- Who's Next?

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1426
PL | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 18 2020 9:33 PM

In just over two years, we saw two major Bible software brands sunset:

1) BibleWorks ~ 2018

2) Wordsearch (and its predecessor brands Bible Explorer, QuickVerse, PC Study Bible) ~ 2020

Who do you is the next one to fall? OliveTree? Accordance?

It looks like Faithlife / Logos might be the last one standing...

Posts 29753
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 18 2020 10:38 PM

Or there is an interesting question of why BibleWorks went into compatibility maintenance only mode rather than selling/merging. I would suspect that Accordance still has a stable financial base.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 325
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:30 AM

I have a form of Logos since seminary which amounts to something like 25 years.   Experiences with this software has led me to detest its advertising, complications of use, high expense, and generally annoying habits of automating the simplest things that I can do myself.  As a result of my relationship with Faithlife over the years I have used all possible bible based programs that were alternatives to this beast.  So now Wordsearch has been bought and an absolute monopoly for many, if not all, aspects of the bible related software market has been concentrated into this company (in windows)...with the result of discontinuation of the Wordsearch platform.  So now I hesitate to spend anymore money on Logos in anticipation of it being sold to the highest bidder and waste of more of my money.

Posts 1426
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 4:59 AM

Olive Tree is now owned by HarperCollins. Accordance is still independent I think. Let's see how much longer can they stand.

Posts 9360
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 6:12 AM

Rene Atchley:
So now I hesitate to spend anymore money on Logos in anticipation of it being sold to the highest bidder and waste of more of my money.

Personally I think Logos is in a solid financial position and the possibility of this happening is slim. Even if it does happen at some point, the shear number of people who have invested in Logos increases the likelihood of Logos continuing.  

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4126
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 6:49 AM

PL:

I expect that Faithlife and Accordance are in the best positions for the future. In that order.

Posts 44
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 6:56 AM

While I would love for Olive Tree or Accordance to be acquired by Logos, solely to get the resources I have there to finally be available in Logos, at the same time I recognize that less competition is never a good thing for customers Tongue Tied

Posts 1426
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 8:56 AM

Totally agreed!

As a matter of fact, when I first saw the announcement yesterday about WS being acquired by Logos, my first thought was: That's the end of affordable prices on resources available on WS!

Posts 9325
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 8:58 AM

I think Kevin Purcell wrote cogently on why some Bible software companies are unable to compete in the current environment when he discussed the shut down of BibleWorks. Worth a read

Both Logos and Accordance seem to check off the boxes he mentioned as critical, but if there is a declining market for serious Bible study tools (as he believes) then that will erode both companies' bottom lines

It seems Logos is a mature product right now. I am not sure what new features they can continue to come up with over time that will truly enhance Bible study. If so, less money will be spent on development which will be a good thing for the company's bottom line.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4126
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 9:41 AM

Mark Smith:
It seems Logos is a mature product right now. I am not sure what new features they can continue to come up with over time that will truly enhance Bible study. If so, less money will be spent on development which will be a good thing for the company's bottom line.

Or there will be continued expansion into areas that aren't strictly Bible study: sermon creation, academic theology studies, patristics/classics, religious education, etc.

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:25 PM

PL:

I can assure you Accordance is doing just fine. We’re not going to “fall,” and we’re not going anywhere. 

There’s room for more than one major Bible software company. It’s not a zero sum game. This isn’t Highlander. There can be more than one. 

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 7543
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:55 PM

Hello, Mansfield!

I still have my Accordance Bible Software.  I love the graphics and Paper.  There’s room for more than one Bible Software.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses.  I can use both! I’m glad you guys are doing fine and are not going anywhere 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 1711
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:06 PM

PL:
Olive Tree is now owned by HarperCollins.

HarperCollins Christian Publishing sold Olive Tree it just over a week ago:

https://www.olivetree.com/press/pressrelease09112020.php

Posts 1361
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:07 PM

Bob Pritchett:

PL:

Would have loved my Olive Tree library in Faithlife too.

Posts 1711
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:15 PM

PL:

When we started there were lots of DOS programs, and soon many Windows ones... QuickVerse, Ask God, BibleWindows, GRAMCORD, Wordsearch, CDWordLibrary, Online Bible, PC Study Bible, etc.

Today many of those are gone, but there are even more mobile apps, web sites, etc. 

I think of our space as incredibly competitive -- while QuickVerse and BibleWorks and PC Study Bible have faded as competitors, YouVersion, BibleHub, and others have come on strong, and new mobile apps and web sites seem to spring up every month.

People haven't stopped studying the Bible, and they haven't stopped building new tools to help! :-)

Posts 2189
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:20 PM

Bob Pritchett:

PL:

This is an interesting read! Having watched Parson's Technology; QuickVerse; WORDSearch life-cycle, seeing OT sell to HarperCollins then spin-off to a private holder gives me cause to wonder.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 849
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:24 PM

Bob Pritchett:

PL:

When we started there were lots of DOS programs, and soon many Windows ones... QuickVerse, Ask God, BibleWindows, GRAMCORD, Wordsearch, CDWordLibrary, Online Bible, PC Study Bible, etc.

Today many of those are gone, but there are even more mobile apps, web sites, etc. 

I think of our space as incredibly competitive -- while QuickVerse and BibleWorks and PC Study Bible have faded as competitors, YouVersion, BibleHub, and others have come on strong, and new mobile apps and web sites seem to spring up every month.

People haven't stopped studying the Bible, and they haven't stopped building new tools to help! :-)

Ah yes. I remember in 2007 looking through all the Bible software in an overstock store. I decided to pick up Libronix because it was the only one with the NAB as an option. The rest was history.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Platinum

Posts 2189
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:27 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - If only Pradis could have been acquired like WORDSearch (with Pradis resources FREE migration to Logos); I would be able to dump that older program. I just can't bring myself to REpurchase the Expositor's Bible Commentary (even at the occasional $130) discounted price.

[I realize that while the migration is free for users, it cost dearly for Logos to acquire these users and their libraries from Lifeway.] Bob, thank you for investing in your user base.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1426
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 2:21 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Wow, that's interesting news about Olive Tree, and an interesting life story of the new owner.

Posts 283
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 7:35 AM

I too would have loved to see Olive Tree join with Logos if nothing else because they offered a range of foreign language bibles I can't get in Logos.

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS