Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Richard Ogg | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 19 2020 11:57 AM

As a WS users I gain a "free" copy of Logos 8. I also have the opportunity to upgrade at a discount.

What I can't tell is if this upgrade, or the other "levels" of Logos, actually change the product (i.e., add new capability) or simply provide a packaged expansion of the references (i.e., books) included.

If it is just the references/books included, then waiting for the migration to near completion makes sense.

If there is actually different capability, it would be nice to understand that. The comparisons seem to focus on the library.....

Posts 2102
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 12:04 PM

Richard Ogg:

As a WS users I gain a "free" copy of Logos 8. I also have the opportunity to upgrade at a discount.

What I can't tell is if this upgrade, or the other "levels" of Logos, actually change the product (i.e., add new capability) or simply provide a packaged expansion of the references (i.e., books) included.

If it is just the references/books included, then waiting for the migration to near completion makes sense.

If there is actually different capability, it would be nice to understand that. The comparisons seem to focus on the library.....

Good question. It depends whether you had Wordsearch Basic, 11 or earlier, or 12. We brought users across at a different feature set level based on which category they were in.

Regardless of which, there is still quite a bit of advanced functionality available in our Logos 8 feature sets. I don't think we have a comparison chart that compares these Wordsearch feature set equivalent products with our normal Logos 8 feature sets (though I'm checking with the team to be sure). However, you should be able to view our feature set comparison to see what you don't have.

Posts 102
The Flanary's | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:44 PM

I was just looking at the same thing. When I looked at upgrades I couldn't even really tell what I have now. I had Wordsearch12 having upgraded faithfully with every release since BE4

Posts 14
Homer Shoemaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 1:52 PM

Hi Phil,

I'm trying to understand same as Richard and The Flanary's.  Here's what I think happened.  Can you confirm or correct?

I had Wordsearch 12 with a bunch of titles gathered over the years (some originally from 5.25 inch floppies from Quick Verse!)

Logos 8 has feature sets which describe program capabilities.  These are labeled basic, starter, bronze, and full. 

Logos 8 also has pre-defined libraries which are collections of books (labeled similarly with a few extra precious metals thrown in) with available tradition filters (which I think is really cool).

And of course, Logos 8 also has individual books.

I think I received the BASIC Logos 8 Features Set.  (From looking at the About Logos Bible Software pane in the App.) 

I think most of the titles that I had in WS12 have been migrated to Logos 8, which obviously doesn't correspond to any of the pre-defined libraries.

We can upgrade Feature Sets or Libraries or both, or just add books if we want to.  Some of the Library upgrades also include Feature upgrades.

There is a substantial discount available to new users from WS for a limited time.

How close did I come to understanding the situation correctly?

Edit:

While looking at the pages related to upgrading Feature Sets, I notice that individual components of a feature set are also priced separately.  To me, this implies that they can be purchased separately, and enabled separately, and that we may indeed have a hybrid feature set.  Not one of the pre-defined feature sets.    

https://www.logos.com/compare/featuresets

This link also shows which components of the feature sets that we already own.

Posts 22
Richard Ogg | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 5:05 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Richard Ogg:

Good question. It depends whether you had Wordsearch Basic, 11 or earlier, or 12. We brought users across at a different feature set level based on which category they were in.

Regardless of which, there is still quite a bit of advanced functionality available in our Logos 8 feature sets. I don't think we have a comparison chart that compares these Wordsearch feature set equivalent products with our normal Logos 8 feature sets (though I'm checking with the team to be sure). However, you should be able to view our feature set comparison to see what you don't have.

That feature set comparison is both helpful and confusing a bit - no real surprise or complaint there. I see comparisons of Starter, Bronze, and Full. It shows that I own a smattering throughout, including some items that are only in the Full package. 

One interesting items it that of the Greek tools they are effectively only included in the Full set. And it shows I own none of them. I was on the beta test for QuickVerse V (Greek team) and received a full set of the software. Yes, it has grown since that time many centuries ago, but I have a fair amount of Greek tools in WS. So if Logos is showing I have none, that will be a problem. But it is a comparison that will need to wait until I can master Logos a bit better......

Posts 2102
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 19 2020 5:07 PM

Homer Shoemaker:

How close did I come to understanding the situation correctly?

A+

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 10:14 AM

Richard Ogg:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Richard Ogg:

That feature set comparison is both helpful and confusing a bit - no real surprise or complaint there. I see comparisons of Starter, Bronze, and Full. It shows that I own a smattering throughout, including some items that are only in the Full package. 

One interesting items it that of the Greek tools they are effectively only included in the Full set. And it shows I own none of them. I was on the beta test for QuickVerse V (Greek team) and received a full set of the software. Yes, it has grown since that time many centuries ago, but I have a fair amount of Greek tools in WS. So if Logos is showing I have none, that will be a problem. But it is a comparison that will need to wait until I can master Logos a bit better......

I don't work for Faithlife, so I don't know all the behind the scenes details. However (assuming you had the books in WS), you should still be able to search for greek words, read the greek, copy, paste, parse, etc. IIRC the "Greek tools" are books, and datasets developed by Faithlife's publishing arm (Lexham Press), and so wouldn't have a direct analog in Wordsearch. Logos is an engine that runs on books - the more you feed it, the more powerful it becomes :).

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 19134
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 1:05 PM

Homer Shoemaker:
Logos 8 has feature sets which describe program capabilities.  These are labeled basic, starter, bronze, and full. 

Logos 8 Fundamentals and Verbum 8 Fundamentals are libraries that include a subset of starter Datasets & Features: e.g. Biblical People Dataset for <Person> searching. https://www.logos.com/compare/featuresets

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 14
Homer Shoemaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 1:15 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Logos 8 Fundamentals and Verbum 8 Fundamentals are libraries that include a subset of starter Datasets & Features: e.g. Biblical People Dataset for <Person> searching. https://www.logos.com/compare/featuresets

Phil already gave me an A+.   I'm going with that grade!  Big Smile

Posts 19134
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 1:29 PM

Homer Shoemaker:

Phil already gave me an A+.   I'm going with that grade!  Big Smile

Concur with A+ grade while dreaming of https://www.logos.com/compare/featuresets enhancement to include Fundamentals. Suggest looking at purchase of Fundamentals before Starter due to dynamic upgrade price reduction of Starter:

If Logos 8 Fundamentals is less than $ 71.08 then purchasing Fundamentals followed by purchasing Starter Feature Upgrade is less expensive.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 74
John Simpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 2:11 PM

Concur with A+ grade while dreaming of https://www.logos.com/compare/featuresets enhancement to include Fundamentals. Suggest looking at purchase of Fundamentals before Starter due to dynamic upgrade price reduction of Starter:

If Logos 8 Fundamentals is less than $ 71.08 then purchasing Fundamentals followed by purchasing Starter Feature Upgrade is less expensive.

Keep Smiling Smile

How do you see those price differences on website? How would I see price difference on Logos Platinum with or without getting Fundamentals first?

Posts 19134
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 4:14 PM

John Simpson:
How do you see those price differences on website? How would I see price difference on Logos Platinum with or without getting Fundamentals first?

One way is asking Faithlife Sales => https://www.logos.com/contact OR online chat. Thankful for Faithlife having a 30 (thirty) day return policy (useful for one purchase when I forgot to enter a coupon code before purchasing Embarrassed) so another option is noting Logos 8 Platinum upgrade price, purchase Logos 8 Fundamentals, then refresh Logos 8 Platinum price to see dynamic change.

Personally have two demonstration accounts with $ 0.00 order total in each account (includes a number of free monthly books in each account that affects dynamic pricing), which is helpful for answering forum questions for new users:

Threads => Purchase Strategy & => Package buying tactics & => Logos 7 Price and Discount Calculator may have some useful insights.

FYI: Fundamentals, Starter and Bronze libraries seem to have a bit better discount % per resource than larger libraries => Logos 8 Messianic Jewish Base Packages - Now Available!

Some of my purchases have had a dynamic price reduction larger than order amount (especially for sale items). Hence, like to sort Logos.com by Savings => https://www.logos.com/search?limit=60&page=1&ownership=unowned&geographicAvailability=all&filters=availability-storefront-lo_Available%20At%2Bstatus-live_Status&sortBy=Savings

Thankful Logos and Verbum applications can be used at the same time with different Faithlife accounts. For a number of tasks, my demonstration account with Logos 8 Fundamentals feels quicker than my purchased library while being very useful for Bible Study. Currently my demonstration account on my primary iMac uses 11 GB on SSD for resources and indexing while my purchased library uses 138 GB on SSD for resources and indexing (Library index of 23 GB is larger than demonstration account installation).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS