Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2065
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 20 2020 11:10 PM

I looked over Wordsearch tonight. Here are the equivalent features between Wordsearch and Logos and where to find them in Logos:

Of course, user data hasn't been migrated yet.

• Open Book-Command Box
  • Verse Lists-Docs Menu
  • Documents-Docs Menu
  • User Books-Personal Books (Tools Menu)
  • Desktops-Layouts
  • Desktop Templates-Layouts
  • Bible Notes-Notes (Tools Menu)
  • Info Window-Info Pane (with some differences)
  • Search-Search Icon
  • Strong’s Search-Under Search (more easily accessible from right-click menu in Bibles with Strong’s numbers)
  • Settings-Program Settings (Tools Menu)
  • Backup/Restore-Now Automatic
  • Syncing-Now Automatic
  • Bibliographer-Docs Menu, Bibliographies
  • Word Definition-Topic Guide (Guides Menu) or Factbook (Tools Menu)
  • Parallel Bible-Text Comparison (Tools Menu)
  • Topic Explorer-Topic Guide (Guides Menu)
  • Verse Explorer-Passage Guide (Guides Menu)
  • Lexicon Explorer-Bible Word Study (Guides Menu)
  • NoteStack-Clippings (Docs Menu)
  • History-Tools Menu
  • Manage Library-Hide Books under Program Settings (Tools Menu)
  • My Library List-Library
  • Manage Collections-Collections (Tools Menu)
  • Unlock Purchased Books-Now Automatic
  • Check for Updates-Type “Update Now” into Command Box
  • Check for Book Updates-Type “Update Now” into Command Box
  • About-Under Help Icon
  • Arrange Windows-Layouts Menu
  • ZipScript-Copy Bible Verses (with some differences, under Tools Menu)

Nathan Parker

Posts 2065
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 11:11 PM

Here are the book toolbar equivalents:

• Select Another Book-Parallel Resources
  • Table of Contents-Same
  • Reference Box-Same
  • Highlighting-Now under Tools Menu
  • Strong’s Numbers, Words of Christ in Red, Linking-Resource Panel Menu

Nathan Parker

Posts 2065
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 11:16 PM

Here are features I don't see 100% equivalents of yet to my knowledge:

• Lessonmaker: Would like to see "Lessons" brought over to Logos based on similar code to the Logos Sermons feature; want the ability to publish lessons to Faithlife, Slide Integration with Faithlife Proclaim, Be able to Share Lessons to Faithlife to Co-Edit with other editors or to "Take" the lesson as a Participant
  • Search Spelling Helper (kind of there in drop down menu but not identical)
  • Greek/Hebrew Keyboards (partially implements but not fully cross platform yet)
  • Smart Search: Plurals and Verb Forms (there are some ways to pull this off but not quite as obvious as Wordsearch)
  • Auto Dock Books by Category (would like this feature)
  • Current Verse Highlighted in Bible
  • WordNik and Wolfram Alpha under Word Definition (these could be added to Factbook and possibly Topic Guide)
  • Cross Reference Explorer-Cited By
  • Window Bar
  • Web Browser (see my other post on this)
  • Instant Verse Study
  • Morphological Explorer (there might be something similar to this)
  • Sermon Illustration Manager (this would be good to add under "Docs" and call it "Illustrations" and be able to link them into "Sermons)
  • ZipScript-Need to add the Ability for Copy Bible Verses to Run When Logos isn’t running
  • Reference Picker next to Reference Box

Nathan Parker

Posts 23569
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 20 2020 11:51 PM

Hi Nathan

These look very helpful - thanks for doing this.

For a non-Wordsearch user (such as myself) are you able to expand a little bit on the functionality provided by:

1. Smart Search
  2. Cross Reference Explorer
  3. Instant Verse Study
  4. Morphological Explorer

Graham

Posts 2454
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 4:34 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Nathan

These look very helpful - thanks for doing this.

For a non-Wordsearch user (such as myself) are you able to expand a little bit on the functionality provided by:

1. Smart Search
  2. Cross Reference Explorer
  3. Instant Verse Study
  4. Morphological Explorer

Graham

Hi Graham,

The Cross Reference Explorer searches resources for the reference being studied. There are options to select which resources are searched and you can set up collections for the search. Below is a screenshot where I am searching books that I own in WS, that I do not have in Logos.

The search results are arranged by predetermined categories set up by WS. The equivalent is to run a basic search on a verse (or pericope in Logos) on a collection set up i Logos.

The Verse Explorer looks up each English word in a verse in Dictionaries, Topical resources and Word Study resources. Options to determine which resources are used is available. See screenshot below:

It is a combination of Facebook and Exegetical Guide, but is really based on English and not the underlying original languages.

The Morphological Explorer is WS equivalent of Morphological Charts in Logos. It is Greek only. Here is a screenshot:

For those WS users interested in original language study they will love Logos as it was never featured well in WS.

InstaVerse is a dialog driven search that creates a clipboard that can be pasted into a document. It essentially does the search and then allows the user to read the research outside of WS and perhaps use it, with some organization, as a final document. I never really found a use for this feature. Here is a screen shot:

Hope this gives you an idea of how to advise those users requesting assistance with these features.

Posts 23569
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 4:37 AM

This is really helpful - thanks John

Posts 102
The Flanary's | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 8:31 AM

Very helpful YesYesYes
Thanks you

Posts 9395
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 8:43 AM

Nathan, I am sure this will be very helpful to WS users. Thanks for the work you put in to provide these lists.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9395
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 8:59 AM

John, thanks for the screenshots and explanation.

John Fidel:
The equivalent is to run a basic search on a verse (or pericope in Logos) on a collection set up i Logos.

Does the Cited By tool accomplish the same function or are there differences? (Cited By will allow you to expand its results by clicking on Search within the tool.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2454
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 11:14 AM

Mark Smith:

John Fidel:
The equivalent is to run a basic search on a verse (or pericope in Logos) on a collection set up i Logos.

Does the Cited By tool accomplish the same function or are there differences? (Cited By will allow you to expand its results by clicking on Search within the tool.)

Actually Cited By is a better example! I did not think of it when I posted.

Posts 2065
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 5:10 PM

John Fidel:

Mark Smith:

John Fidel:

I forgot about Cited By. Should be the same equivalent. 

Actually Cited By is a better example! I did not think of it when I posted.

Nathan Parker

Posts 2065
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 5:11 PM

By the way, Logos has my permission to sticky this or feature it if they need Wordsearch users to quickly access it.

Nathan Parker

Posts 4111
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 6:16 PM

Nathan Parker:

By the way, Logos has my permission to sticky this or feature it if they need Wordsearch users to quickly access it.

I feel like this should be on the logos software homepage of everyone whose coming in from wordsearch.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 102
The Flanary's | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 21 2020 10:21 PM

4th day since the changeover from WS. This post has been one of the most helpful for me (although everyone has been great here)
 I ran into something today whilst looking through my library. I'm assuming all of us Wordsearch refugees received it free, it's called "Quickstart For Logos 8" by Morris Proctor (you can easily search it in the "Go" box) I would highly, HIGHLY encourage other WS refugees  to check it out. They are short, simple, start from scratch videos for totally new users

Posts 3
Adam Troutt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 6:57 AM

One thing I did daily with WS was what they called a "wildcard" search. (obed*) to get all derivatives of obedient, obedience, etc. Does Logos have a similar search feature? My library hasn't migrated over yet, so I've not done much poking around yet.

Posts 23569
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 7:12 AM

Adam Troutt:
One thing I did daily with WS was what they called a "wildcard" search. (obed*) to get all derivatives of obedient, obedience, etc. Does Logos have a similar search feature?

Logos does support wildcard searching but they are not recommended as they are very resource-intensive

However it does have a Match All Word Forms option which effectively does the same thing (it finds all words based on a similar stem). Turn it off id you want exact word matching

Posts 3
Adam Troutt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 7:21 AM

Awesome! Thank you for that.

Posts 1
Nikki Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 1:00 PM

Thank you so much Nathan for taking the time to construct this list.  It has been most helpful to me comparing the features.  So appreciate this!

Posts 2065
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 6:57 PM

Glad to assist! Here are some additional training resources as well:

• Logos Pro Training (Free)
  • MP Seminars (He is releasing some free live webinars for Wordsearch users, plus he offers a monthly subscription services to his training library. I am a subscriber)
  • LearnLogos.com (He offers regular free webinars which are very helpful, he also sells webinars and offers a monthly service that allows you to download all of his future webinars and training videos, plus he sells training bundles. I'm a member of his VIP Club and have purchased his training bundles).

Nathan Parker

Posts 2065
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 22 2020 11:34 PM

A few more interface equivalents. Most of these are more obvious, but I'm including them in the list anyway:

• Menu Bar-Menus are combined with the main program toolbar in Logos
  • Home tab-Home page button
  • Study tab-Any layout in Logos when books are opens (it's just no longer marked "study", the books are simply "there")
  • Library tab and Resources pane-All combined in the Library
  • Account Menu-Account menu (either your initials or picture if you added a picture to your Faithlife profile)

I think I've covered everything. If there's anything I missed we can add to it!

Nathan Parker

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS