Customizable Go Command Bar?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 36
Darin Allen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 7 2010 6:08 PM

I'm not sure what the official name of it is, since there are two entry bars on the home page, but I am wondering if the command bar with the "Go" button will eventually be customizable?  I haven't used the Windows version so I don't know if they have this.  Right now when I use this to type in a passage, it automatically brings up the Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide, 5 bibles (ESV, NASB, NIV, NRSV, and KJV), a commentary, Information panel, and Text Comparison panel.

I want most of these to come up, but I don't need the Text Comparison or so many Bibles, but I can't find any way to customize this feature.  Will there eventually be a way to customize exactly what you want to come up when you use this Go entry bar and the layout of these items (ie specify which Bibles, which commentaries, add in a Greek or Hebrew Bible depending on if it is a OT or NT passage, etc.)?  This would be awesome.  I imagine I could save a layout for this, but is there a way to make a specific layout correlate with this entry bar?

www.darinallen.org

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 6:29 PM

The layout the "go" bar brings up is not customizable on the Windows version. I don't use it for this reason.

Posts 36
Darin Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:24 PM

That really seems unfortunate.  I would strongly encourage the developers to consider adding a preference where you can connect the Go command bar to a specific layout.  That just seems like it would be so incredibly useful.

www.darinallen.org

Posts 2590
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:47 PM

Darin Allen:

That really seems unfortunate.  I would strongly encourage the developers to consider adding a preference where you can connect the Go command bar to a specific layout.  That just seems like it would be so incredibly useful.

I agree. It would be very useful. I like to open Logos on the Home page but then I always have to open a layout which goes to the fixed scripture reference. It would be so much better to be able to open a reference in the go command line and get the layout of our choice.

Very good suggestion. Thank you. Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 2468
LogosEmployee
Tommy Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 2:40 PM

Kevin Becker:

The layout the "go" bar brings up is not customizable on the Windows version. I don't use it for this reason.

This is not completely true. It is customizable to a certain point. One can change the out put of guides by editing them and naming them "My Passage Guide" and "My Exegetical Guide" and the default Guide choices will be what you created. You can also dictate the bibles/commentaries that appear by prioritizing the bibles and commentaries you want to appear in the My LIbrary panel. 

For more nuanced alterations feel free to post that idea at http://community.logos.com/forums/28.aspx 

Posts 2590
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 2:56 PM

Thank you Tommy for your answer. It helps, however I think it would be much better to allow us to chose layout to open with the reference from the go command bar.

Bohuslav

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 3:54 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I think it would be much better to allow us to chose layout to open with the reference

It seems to be a relatively common misconception that what we show when you type a reference in the "go box" is simply another layout—it's not. One of the principal issues preventing us from providing configuration options for this are the difficulties in crafting an interface that wouldn't make people flee in terror. After all, you wouldn't want something like this to show up in Logos 4, would you?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 5337
Forum MVP
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 4:15 PM

Tommy Ball:
This is not completely true. It is customizable to a certain point. One can change the out put of guides by editing them and naming them "My Passage Guide" and "My Exegetical Guide" and the default Guide choices will be what you created. You can also dictate the bibles/commentaries that appear by prioritizing the bibles and commentaries you want to appear in the My LIbrary panel. 

You are of course correct.

However, every time I have seen a user asking about "customizing" this behavior is not very interested that they can swap out the passage guide, influence which 5 Bibles show up and which commentary shows up. Instead they want to change the location of the resources, reduce the number of Bibles open, and leave the tools closed etc. Perhaps I was to hasty in saying categorically it wasn't customizable but it sure doesn't feel customizable to me.

Posts 2468
LogosEmployee
Tommy Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 4:43 PM

Kevin Becker:

Tommy Ball:

However, every time I have seen a user asking about "customizing" this behavior is not very interested that they can swap out the passage guide, influence which 5 Bibles show up and which commentary shows up. Instead they want to change the location of the resources, reduce the number of Bibles open, and leave the tools closed etc. Perhaps I was to hasty in saying categorically it wasn't customizable but it sure doesn't feel customizable to me.

Another option is to set up the aspects from the Go bar search that you like and save that as a layout. The search will take a bit longer but if you link the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide to the commentaries and bibles you want, you can run a citation search from either the Passage Guide or Exeg. Guide and it will shift all connected resources/functions appropriately. 

Posts 2468
LogosEmployee
Tommy Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 19 2010 4:43 PM

Kevin Becker:

Tommy Ball:

Another option is to set up the aspects from the Go bar search that you like and save that as a layout. The search will take a bit longer but if you link the Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide to the commentaries and bibles you want, you can run a citation search from either the Passage Guide or Exeg. Guide and it will shift all connected resources/functions appropriately. 

Posts 2590
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2010 12:26 AM

David Mitchell:
It seems to be a relatively common misconception that what we show when you type a reference in the "go box" is simply another layout—it's not. One of the principal issues preventing us from providing configuration options for this are the difficulties in crafting an interface that wouldn't make people flee in terror. After all, you wouldn't want something like this to show up in Logos 4, would you?

You got me David Surprise Of course you are right. We would be scarred to have to go through something like what you show.

For me the issue is actually solved by your answer and the suggestion of Tommy Ball to make a custom "My Passage Guide" and "My Exegetical Guide". I tried it, put to those guides just the things I want to see on a simple opening of a Bible reference, and it looks promising. Yes

Thanks for your information. I just wonder, is that info somewhere in the helps? Or we should put it on the wiki?

Bohuslav

Posts 2468
LogosEmployee
Tommy Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:06 AM

Bohuslav:

I highly doubt that a method such as that would be in the Help file, so if you want, you could see if it is in the public WIki already (someone might have added it perhaps) and if it is not there add it if you like.

Posts 2590
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:10 AM

Thank you Tommy for your answer.

EDITED:  Added to the wiki "Forum Tips" under the "Other Questions"

Bohuslav

Posts 2468
LogosEmployee
Tommy Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:11 AM

You're welcome. Smile

Posts 2420
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:14 AM

Tommy could it be possible to specify what layout (Perhaps My Layout) is defaulted to when we type something in the go bar?

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org | hantla.com/blog

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 20 2010 9:19 AM

Jacob Hantla:
could it be possible to specify what layout (Perhaps My Layout) is defaulted to when we type something in the go bar?

Please see my comment above as to why we haven't done this.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 6
Josh Kelley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 10:03 AM

this probably fall under the same problem, but can I set it up so that the text comparison (never use it) and the auto-definition (slows down my system and never use it) panes don't automatically load?

Thanks!

Posts 2468
LogosEmployee
Tommy Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 11:45 AM

You can run a HomePage search delete the unwanted panels, linke the panels you want always linked and save that layout. Then when you come back you can open that layout and use it from there. But for that to be defaulted directly from the Home Page search is not going to happen as David has mentioned already. If you turn off the Home Page Logos4 will just open to what was last open when the program was closed. 

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 19 2011 7:56 AM

Yes

Posts 2
William Nye | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 23 2011 6:23 AM

David Mitchell:

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I think it would be much better to allow us to chose layout to open with the reference

I wonder if adding a button to the go text box would avoid the complexity of customizing the go button behavior.  For example if there was a separate button with a label that matched one of the layouts then you could type a scripture reference in the go text box,  click the new button that would launch the corresponding layout with the scripture reference from the go text box.  Perhaps a drop down button which remembered it's last use could allow access to multiple layouts?  This would allow the existing behavior of the go button to be preserved while providing a useful alternative to the go box behavior.  A checkbox on the layout could select those layouts which should appear on the optional go button.  

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS