October Free Books

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4199
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 1 2020 6:02 AM

It looks like someone hit the blog publish too early this morning :)  The book isn't available for free yet but I'm excited for it

https://blog.logos.com/2020/10/octobers-free-resource-cracks-open-5-easily-misunderstood-books 

October’s Free Resource Cracks Open 5 Easily Misunderstood Books

| Thu, October 1, 2020 | Featured Books 0 

How well do you know the Pentateuch? 

Most Christians don’t make its study a priority—but Professor Peter T. Vogt is an exception. The Pentateuch has been the primary focus throughout his academic career, and that’s clear in October’s free book, Interpreting the Pentateuch: An Exegetical Handbook

Through the book, Dr. Vogt hopes to “build confidence on the part of interpreters, so that they will feel better able to understand, teach, and preach from the Old Testament in whatever ministry context they serve. This, I pray, will strengthen the people of God through exposure to the whole counsel of God and encourage them to more deeply love and more effectively serve the great God revealed in the Torah.”

In Interpreting the Pentateuch, readers explore 

• Major themes in the Pentateuch
  • Strategies for interpretation and understanding 
  • Contemporary significance of these ancient texts

Here’s an example of the insight presented:

Rather than being a burden of legalistic requirements necessary to earn relationship with God, the Torah was a gracious gift from God, who, out of love for his people, sought to tell them what they needed to know in order to live their lives as the people of Yahweh. In this way, the Torah should be compared to a doctor’s prescription, rather than a job description. That is, it was not the means by which a reward is earned, such as when a paycheck is received for work performed under the terms of one’s employment contract. It was, instead, something that was done because it was necessary for proper living (from the perspective of God, who, by virtue of being the Creator, knows that which is best and right for his people). In the Torah, we find God’s “prescription” for how to live a life in relationship to him.

Get Interpreting the Pentateuch for free today! And while you’re on the Free Book of the Month page, take a look at three more books to enhance your Old Testament studies, all for under $20. 

Posts 52
Angela Meister | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 7:21 AM

Nice.

Posts 889
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 7:24 AM

Apparently not live yet as the fu price is shown

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Diamond

Posts 4449
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 10:23 AM

David Wanat:

Apparently not live yet as the fu price is shown

Live now.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 9415
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 5:50 PM

Always appreciated. Thank you Faithlife.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 662
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 8:43 PM

Verbum freebie and extras

https://verbum.com/monthly-sale#free

Posts 545
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 10:44 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Always appreciated. Thank you Faithlife.

Ditto. I picked up a diverse selection over deeply discounted books across the three sites. Thanks, FL.

Carpe verbum.

Posts 2305
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 7:00 AM

Thank you Faithlife for your continued generosity.

Posts 889
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 12:11 PM

Anybody have a take on the commentaries? I already have the other offerings outside of the Logos ones

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Diamond

Posts 4449
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 3:13 PM

Spanish freebie: https://es.logos.com/librogratuito

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 52
Angela Meister | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 5:45 PM

David Wanat:

Anybody have a take on the commentaries? I already have the other offerings outside of the Logos ones

Amazon has good reviews.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS