Licensed books in Wordsearch showing as not licensed in Logo 8

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Stuart R. Anderson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 2 2020 7:51 AM

I opened the Faithlife Study Bible per the training video. I own the NIC OT&NT, but when I click on this:       John 7:8 NICNT Jn reference it show a lock and this screen appears: "You don't have a license for this resource you can buy it here..." Why are my Wordsearch books not licensed in Logos.

Stuart

Posts 8
Stuart R. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 9:37 AM

That's not the problem, the NIC OT&NT are already downloaded into Logos 8 from Wordsearch. The problem is Logos 8 says the books are not licensed.

Stuart

Posts 485
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 11:06 AM

Stuart,

Here is what I "Think" the issue is. 

There are Two (2) vewrsions of this commentary in Logos. (see image)

One by Leon Morris (this is the one that the FSB links to), and...

One by J. Ramsey Michales (This is the one that was sold by WordSearch).

They are not the same resource so this is the reason the link will not work.

This is an issue you can ( and will ) find ( as you just did, and yes it is frustrating ) in some of the Video lessons in Logos. 

Posts 8
Stuart R. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 1:41 PM

Ok, thanks, that explains the problem. What is Logos doing to fix the problem?

Stuart

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

Stuart R. Anderson:

I'm not sure what the problem is. There are two different volumes of NIC John by different authors, and we can't give one away for free because you own the other. Wordsearch had both volumes, and you will get the exact same ones that you owned in Wordsearch in Logos.

The FSB Editors chose to link to the NIC John by Morris (presumably because it supported the point they were making in the study notes). Opening NIC John by Michaels instead doesn't make sense because it's a different commentary (albeit one with a very similar name).

FSB is designed to link to resources you may not have (the icon in the study notes will change from a lock to a book to show the difference) as a way of suggesting additional resources that may help in your study. You're not required to purchase them to get value from the FSB Study Notes.

Wordsearch customers who owned the Morris commentary get it in Logos; those who owned the Michaels commentary will get that one. (And if you owned both, you'll get both.)

Posts 2855
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 2:28 PM

Stuart R. Anderson:
What is Logos doing to fix the problem?

Sorry If I am not understanding.

How is it a problem If you do not have a licence to the book and the link directs you to the product page in the Faithlife website to purchase. It can be confusing to begin with but with the issue identified, is your suggestion that they use both Ramsey and Morris volume in the videos?

Or that the link in the video be clearly labelled to indicate that it is a Leon Morris NICNT volume to avoid confusion. Is that what you are getting at?

Kind regards

Edit: Just seen Bradley's response after posting

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3317
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 2:38 PM

Stuart R. Anderson:

Stuart

Stuart,

Which volume is it directing you to?

The simple answer is it is the volume you "don't" own.

If you do own it, call customer service have them verify your license. 

So, if the one it is directing you to is one you don't own, there is no way to direct it to the one you do, this is an ongoing problem with the video classes, they all reference books not everyone owns, so it's either buy it, or trudge along without it.

Posts 8
Stuart R. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 5:07 AM

Thanks everybody. I did not realize that their are two different versions of the NIC OT&NT commentaries. I wonder which is the newer version Logos or Wordsearch?

Stuart

Posts 25342
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 5:11 AM

Stuart R. Anderson:
I did not realize that their are two different versions of the NIC OT&NT commentaries. I wonder which is the newer version Logos or Wordsearch?

It's less that there are - in general - different versions. In the case of John's Gospel (and I think some others) there has been an updated commentary:

• Morris's came out in 1995
  • Michaels' is 2010
Posts 8
Stuart R. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 7:26 AM

Figures, I hope fairlife updates their resources.

Posts 927
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 7:32 AM

Stuart,

The NICOT/NICNT commentaries are revised from time to time by new authors who write a new commentary on a particular book. The example in this thread is the gospel of John. Faithlife doesn't swap out the older version of a commentary with the newer one and take away the one you purchased and replace it with the newer one. Instead, you keep the version you bought and you must then purchase the new version if you want that one.

Posts 2517
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 11:34 AM

Stuart R. Anderson:

Figures, I hope fairlife updates their resources.

Faithlife Study bible links to "Author 1 talks about this issue in book A". Are you expecting them to change that to "Author 2 talks about this  issue in book B"?

(both books "A" and "B" are available in the Logos catalog).

This has also been raised when resources point to BADG (edition 3) and later BDAG (edition 4) was released. Many users have the expectation that Logos would CHANGE resources that cite edition 3 and link to similar entries in edition 4. Other users have stated if a particular work cites a specific quotation in a particular resource, it becomes "revisionist history" to presume that the citation to another resource would be equally beneficial. This particular example causes frustration when version 3 is no longer available for purchase.

Similarly, some commentaries cite a wording in NIV84, but the wording is different in NIV11 and NIV84 is no longer available. Should all commentaries that cited verses that were translated differently, go back an publish a revision that reflects the wording of NIV11? Should those commentaries link to NIVAnglicized (a different resource that is closely aligned to NIV84)?

I hope I haven't hijacked the thread -- I'm just trying to say that some citations are licensed and available, other citations point to resources with other licensing realities.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 8
Stuart R. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 1:49 PM

Well, if Wordsearch did, and they did, why can't Faithlife? Seems an inferior product bought out a superior one.

Posts 2517
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 2:07 PM

Stuart R. Anderson:

Well, if Wordsearch did, and they did, why can't Faithlife? Seems an inferior product bought out a superior one.

I apologize, I misunderstood. I inferred that you wanted Faithlife to update the Faithlife Study Bible that hyperlinked to other resources. Since Wordsearch never offered the Faithlife Study Bible, I now believe you are asking that the bundle of NICNT be reconfigured to include the Michael's volume. Are you hoping that the bundle would include BOTH or just the Michaels? Based upon this ranking, I'm glad that Logos offers both.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 2:36 PM

Hello, Stuart!

I highly recommend that you pick up the older volume of John by Morris if you do not have it in your library. As you have discovered, there will be a considerable amount of links headed to his commentary since it is considered to be one of the best commentaries ever written on the book and it’s been around since ‘71. Many of today’s top scholars/authors will have studied this volume and their own works will point (link) to it.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

Stuart R. Anderson:
Well, if Wordsearch did, and they did, why can't Faithlife?

What did Wordsearch do that Faithlife didn't do?

Posts 8
Stuart R. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 7:28 PM

Thanks, Scott.

Posts 8
Stuart R. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 7:31 PM

Since you asked all of the books that I started with from Quickverse and all of the books I bought from Wordsearch all worked seamlessly together: that is no licensing problems ever!

Stuart

Posts 4158
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 3 2020 7:59 PM

Stuart R. Anderson:

Since you asked all of the books that I started with from Quickverse and all of the books I bought from Wordsearch all worked seamlessly together: that is no licensing problems ever!

Stuart

Wordsearch did a lot less also.

I had feet in both worlds.

A while back when Lifeway was searching for a new leader, I emailed the search comittee and pleaded with them to hire someone who saw wordsearch as a priority, and who wanted to bring it up to par with Logos. At the time my seminary preferred Wordsearch. It made it awkward that I've got 15000 titles in logos. To then buy stuff in wordsearch (Glad I did now).

Any way, the response I got revealed to me the people on the search committee didn't understand bible software nor see it as a priority. At that point it was basically kindle for church books. It got better. But it lacked the depth the logos has.

Logos does things like allow you to click a quote and read it in the quoted title. OR reveal who is included in "they" or "We" or what have you. The greek tools are outstanding too in my opinion.

Faithlife Study Bible links to the better commentaries as often as not. If you don't own it, they make it easy to make the purchase (as long as they still have the license to do so - see the discussion earlier in the thread about BDAG 3).

That isn't a flaw in my view, if I find a quote I like, and click it, and don't have the book in my library, its a wonderful thing to have the chance to buy it. if its reasonable I probably will, and thats part of why I have so many titles.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS