Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 38
depdad | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 10 2020 9:07 AM

With so many of the commentaries being renamed to a specific book of the Bible, it is a chore to quickly see which commentary is on the list without having to put your cursor on it. This probably has already been addressed, but will the commentaries be renamed to their original titles in the future? WORDsearch's method of listing the commentaries alphabetically was an excellent way to find the specific commentary you were looking for.

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2020 9:32 AM

depdad:
will the commentaries be renamed to their original titles in the future

No. The naming will stay as it is now. This is Faithlife's way of naming commentaries.

I don't have Wordsearch so don't know how it worked, but I wonder if Library's faceted browsing could provide what you miss.

I've attached a screenshot of my library with the faceted browser panel open on the left. I've already selected from the Type list to select only Bible Commentaries. I've clicked on "Series" so that I can select to display only volumes from a specific series. I could also select a specific author, publisher, etc.

Would that help?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2020 10:02 AM

I see you have posted this in more than one forum. It is better not to do that.

Let's point others to the other thread for their responses: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/194593.aspx 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2
Jimmy Wren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2020 10:33 AM

Depdad I created a desktop, logos layout, that parallels one some of us had in Wordsearch.  It's limited in study but strong on reading with is what I do most.  I use one Bible as the group driver, although all Bibles linked the same will drive the group, and one Bible as the target Bible, which is unlinked from the group but all hyperlinks will go to this Bible.  The purpose of the target Bible is to keep from losing your place in the driver Bible, although Logos does provide a neat little 'go back' flag to click.

Posts 2271
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2020 10:56 AM

Mark Smith:
I've attached a screenshot of my library with the faceted browser panel open on the left. I've already selected from the Type list to select only Bible Commentaries.

I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but I've experienced a "glitch"? that may cause frustration for DepDad in his searching. If I type Type: Bible Commentary in the Find Box I am only presented with a small portion (9) of my Commentaries.

If I click on the FACET Type: Bible Commentary I am presented with a fuller (1434) list. Any suggestions?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 24240
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2020 11:28 AM

Try type:”Bible commentary“

Posts 2088
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2020 11:35 AM

David Thomas:
If I type Type: Bible Commentary in the Find Box I am only presented with a small portion (9) of my Commentaries.

Two problems:

1. The space
  2. No quotation marks

type: bible commentary is equivalent to type bible commentary, which is equivalent to type AND bible AND commentary, all of which will find all resources with type, Bible, and commentary in any of their indexed fields.

As Graham said, (1) remove the space and (2) put multi-word items in quotation marks; so use type:"bible commentary" instead.

Posts 2271
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2020 2:43 PM

Yes

Graham Criddle:

Try type:”Bible commentary“

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2271
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2020 2:45 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Two problems:

1. The space
  2. No quotation marks

Thanks Phil! I tried with and without the space and tried Bible Commentary and Commentary but the quotation marks to indicate a phrase had slipped my mind.

Posts 38
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 11 2020 2:16 PM

I found the Wordsearch section after I posted the first one.

Posts 24240
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 11 2020 3:16 PM

depdad:

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by this.

Do you still have an issue in searching for commentaries?

Posts 9
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2020 11:21 PM

I have been a long time user of Wordsearch so I was skeptical about this move to Logos. So far I have been immersed in the MP Seminars training, I have listened to each one of the 3, eight times and taken notes and practiced along with the trainer. That amounted to over 24 hours of training, so far. Today I signed up for a year of training with MP Seminars and listened through some of the beginning of the short but thorough segments. I have started listening at 2X speed and am keeping up rather well. Then tonight I went back to Wordsearch and found I missed using Logos...I came back to Logos and used what I have been learning from the 3 free sessions with MP Seminars , especially with a study on the word Lucifer, I found commentaries on Isaiah, and was enlightened by the commentary's listed. I first opened my KJV then one of the commentaries and right clicked on the verse and searched all open resources, just like Morris Proctor said to and it worked. I also took advantage of the discount's and purchased a Platinum package that now enhances my library from Wordsearch and allows me all the tools and ways to study the bible that Logos offers. I am glad I have found the time and learned what I have so far and am looking forward to much more. With that said I still miss the integrated word processor in Wordsearch. Perhaps I will learn to integrate Microsoft Word with Logos.....with the Lords help I will learn as much as possible and be blessed with the move to Logos. Romans 8:28 comes to mind. Also I know nothing comes to pass apart from His will. We will all be blessed, I'm sure.                             Hey, guess what, after just writing this I went to the home page and found a short teaching on "notes" that is essentially the same thing as the integrated word processor in Wordsearch... Things are looking up. Thank You Lord. God bless all..

Posts 24240
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2020 11:56 PM

Hi David - and welcome to Logos and these forums

Thank you for your positive note.

David:
 Hey, guess what, after just writing this I went to the home page and found a short teaching on "notes" that is essentially the same thing as the integrated word processor in Wordsearch

Depending on exactly what you are looking for, you might find it helpful looking at the Sermon Editor as well - https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016747391-Sermon-Editor 

Graham

Posts 9
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2020 11:56 AM

Thanks Graham, looks like something I can use. God bless

Posts 4353
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2020 6:01 AM

depdad:

With so many of the commentaries being renamed to a specific book of the Bible, it is a chore to quickly see which commentary is on the list without having to put your cursor on it. This probably has already been addressed, but will the commentaries be renamed to their original titles in the future? WORDsearch's method of listing the commentaries alphabetically was an excellent way to find the specific commentary you were looking for.

Another option, though a tad work intensive, is to rename your commentaries the way you want them.  They won't appear alphabetically because they show as you prioritize them (and then maybe alphabetically after that? not sure on that one as I have all mine prioritized).  You can do this in the information panel after clicking on the resource in the library view (i in the circle)

Posts 4832
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 7:24 PM

Mattillo:
They won't appear alphabetically because they show as you prioritize them (and then maybe alphabetically after that? not sure on that one as I have all mine prioritized). 

The software has a built-in prioritization list that takes over with regard to all the volumes the user hasn't prioritized. (This list is different between Logos and Verbum... one of the few under-the-hood differences.)

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 5524
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 4:59 AM

Graham Criddle:

depdad:

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by this.

He means he found the Wordsearch forum after intially posting in the General fourm, hence why he posted to two forums.  I can understand that, the list of fourms on this site is getting out of hand and so would be very overwhelming for new users to these forums and easy for them to miss that there is a specific forum most relevenat to their question, and often for new users, and even seasoned ones, which is the best forum to post to can be difficult to determine. 

Posts 24240
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 9:03 AM

DIsciple II:
He means he found the Wordsearch forum after intially posting in the General fourm, hence why he posted to two forums

Ok - thanks for that.

Posts 38
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 10:10 AM

Yes. Someone made a comment that I shouldn't be posting in multiple areas.

Posts 22
Lloyd Wallace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 24 2020 7:25 AM

Go to the library pane, title view, click the title, look to the right, at the top, and you see the title to the book followed by a small edit symbol, a pencil. Clicking the pencil enables you to edit the title any way you choose. To see all the Tyndale commentaries (for instance) in the library view, use the filter on the left to filter by bible commentary, series, and then Tyndale or Cornerstone (for instance). This give you a complete list of these sets. I then typed the series name in front of the titles of each volume to ensure they are all seen together in the library. But I am not sure this is the best way and it did take some time!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS