matching English, Hebrew, Greek verses

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 904
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 17 2020 2:37 PM

I have a spread sheet of verses from the Hebrew and Greek Old Testaments.  I'm looking for the fastest way to match them with the English Bible.

Thank  you

Posts 29632
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2020 2:57 PM

Convert to a passage list and add a translation? Or are you trying to get them matched on the spread sheet?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 904
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2020 4:14 PM

I can't get it going.  I found an old passage list tutorial on youtube.  It didn't work like it did in the video.

Posts 904
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2020 4:23 PM

I found a video on logos.com about passage lists. Seems to be the only one.  Apparently I can click on a passage in a book, and the menu that appears will have the option to save as a passage list.  That doesn't happen in my Logos.  No such option.

Posts 904
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2020 8:43 PM

There is a resource called the SBL Handbook of Style, which I happen to have in Logos.  It compares the three in parallel columns with the differences.  It took a lot of time, but it's done.  The first book I put into Logos, it didn't even show up in the results.  I've done hundreds of these lately and occasionally this happens.

thanks for your help.  

I still didn't get that passage thing going, but at least I'm a little more familiar with it.  I wish it worked liked the videos showed.

Posts 23214
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2020 11:51 PM

Larry Craig:
I found a video on logos.com about passage lists. Seems to be the only one. 

Is https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016747311-Passage-List the video you are referring to.

If so, it was recorded in Logos 7 and the interface has changed slightly in Logos 8. The basic ideas and concepts are still the same.

Posts 23214
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 12:04 AM

Larry Craig:
I still didn't get that passage thing going, but at least I'm a little more familiar with it.  I wish it worked liked the videos showed.

Try this.

Create a Passage List document in Logos and then in your spreadsheet select the cells containing the biblical passages you want to include.

In the Passage List, click the Add button and choose to add from the clipboard

This will populate the passage list with those verses

Now you can choose which resources to show in the Passage List using the Add Versions box

I chose to replace the default translation with a Hebrew text, a Greek text and a different English translation

Does this help you work out how to use this feature?

Posts 904
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 1:33 PM

I think I'm getting more familiar with the passage list.

I still don't see how it helps me solve my original problem.

I had two long list of passages, one from the LXX and one from the Hebrew Bible.

I wanted to change them to English Bible references.

I found a list of variants and did it all by hand.  Much of it I had to enter the Greek text and see what the corresponding verses were.

So my problem is solved.  If it happens again, I still don't know if there is a better way to solve it.

Thanks again, Graham.  You are always there for me.

Posts 23214
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 1:47 PM

Larry Craig:

I still don't see how it helps me solve my original problem.

I had two long list of passages, one from the LXX and one from the Hebrew Bible.

I wanted to change them to English Bible references.

I found a list of variants and did it all by hand.  Much of it I had to enter the Greek text and see what the corresponding verses were.

So my problem is solved.  If it happens again, I still don't know if there is a better way to solve it.

Sorry Larry, I didn't understand that was what you were trying to do

Logos does support verse maps and in some Tools you can specify one versemap and see corresponding ones. See screenshots below for examples:

This might help if you need to do something similar again - but I don't know of any batch way of doing it in Logos

Posts 904
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 1:57 PM

I think this could help, but I am finding this uncooperative, unintuitive, and frustrating.  I don't have the time now to try to figure it out.  I have a setup already in place.  Trying to change it looks like it should be easy, but I must be missing something really simple, but I'm not seeing it.

I don't have time to try to figure it all out.

Thanks again.

Posts 10894
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 2:01 PM

Graham Criddle:
This might help if you need to do something similar again - but I don't know of any batch way of doing it in Logos

I don't either (Logos is programmed to support this kind of stuff behind the scenes), but I think all of those weird differences in versification have been taken up in this wiki page: https://wiki.logos.com/Bible_Verse_Maps on a chapter-by-chapter (not verse-by-verse) level.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2136
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 3:14 PM

This becomes especially relevant when aligning Psalms from Hebrew. The numbering of headers and merging of some psalms throws off some maps!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 29632
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2020 3:45 PM

Graham Criddle:
Logos does support verse maps and in some Tools you can specify one versemap and see corresponding ones.

This conversion takes place in all tools based upon the map of your highest priority Bible as the assumed input verse map and the verse map to the Bible to be displayed. The wiki page shows where the numbering of the chapter and verse differ but not where the text specified differs i.e. the sequence of the text differs. To the best of my knowledge, one can always specify the verse map where you can specify the Bible reference but I am sure I have not tried everyplace.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 23214
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 12:03 AM

MJ. Smith:
To the best of my knowledge, one can always specify the verse map where you can specify the Bible reference but I am sure I have not tried everyplace.

The thing that surprised me yesterday when I was looking at this is you don't seem able to specify a verse map in a Bible itself.

Posts 29632
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2020 12:17 AM

Graham Criddle:
you don't seem able to specify a verse map in a Bible itself.

You're right ... I so often link the Bibles that I'd not noticed.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS