WORDsearch books that will not be migrated to Logos

Page 4 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 64 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 54
Ricky Daugherty | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2021 12:31 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Ricky Daugherty:
QVBS.ulk is the Quick Verse Bible Suite that was released under the owner ship of WORDsearch (that is one your people refused to add to my account even after I provided the receipt for that).

We've never done unlocks for individual QV/WS CDs through the Logos licensing system before, which I think is why the CS team had trouble granting this unlock and referred you to Wordsearch for it.

However, I think I've unlocked it for you. It had 141 licenses on it. (Those may not all be new licenses, there might be some overlap with books you acquired through other purchases.) Please let me know if this unlock worked for you.

Ricky Daugherty:
Obviously it could be a coincidence others could have purchased the same CDs as those you noticed, but someone would have had to have access to mine, with the same name as mine and with the same unlocks as mine. ... But that raises other questions.  If someone else had the unlocks with my name, does that not mean the only way the can use that was if they were signed in as me?

They weren't signed in as you, as it was backed up under another account. But I may have jumped to conclusions earlier. While the file names were the same, the files weren't totally identical. Perhaps it was another customer who just shares your name.

If as you said that was in someone else's account and they were not logged in as me, then it would be like those about 7000 items you said you saw which is far more than your Migration Status even recognized, so unless they could sign in as me, I am guessing those were harmless and would never show up unless they could log in as me.   Any chance whoever had my Laptop may have cloned the hard drive, then installed the clone in another laptop and sold that, and someone else installed their own legal copy and restored their unlocks thereby merging those with mine, even though mine would not show up as they logged in?   Both would have been stored in the same folder, and the backup would have simply copied the entire folder to the backup location.  For them to use both, the would have had to have my WS11 which had my password log-in, and installed WS12 which requires a separate log-in.  I guess in such case they could log in to WS11 as me, and log into WS12 as them.  But the back up would have grabbed both in a single backup.  The earlier WS 11 would install on Windows XP but the later updates and WS12 would no install on XP.  My laptop had WS11 on Windows XP.

My concern was about my Logos account, if someone was using that Laptop, or even cloned my drive, they may be logging in as me.   I keep reading AVG notices that my IP is showing to try to get me to upgrade, and I have seen other websites that access our IP, was just wondering if Logos could check IPs logging is me with Logos software and maker sure it is not coming from another location.   If it was, then we can find the source of who may have accessed my Hard Drive without my consent.

On another note: When I got that Laptop back (which was Windows XP) I had bought a Used Windows 7 laptop from ebay and did not have all my old stuff on the newer Windows 7 LP, so when I got that back I had used Windows Easy Transfer to copy all the data from that Windows XP to my newer Windows 7 Laptop which restored all data from that to the new one, but not the software.  I then had to install many other programs to use the data that was restored.   That Windows 7 Laptop with the restored data is what I used to do that first Cloud backup you mentioned.   Because of Logos 9 I was forced to buy another cheap (use) Desktop on eBay.   Because Windows Easy Transfer no longer works on Windows 10, I did not do the same kind of transfer with my Windows 10 that I have Logos 9 on.   That Windows 10 with a clean install of everything is where the second Cloud Backup came from, while the first had restored data from the one my daughter reclaimed from that Pawn Shop in Iowa.

And why would I install CDs I still had first before WS12 on the Windows 10 Desktop?   As said above, I have a very slow internet, so getting those books from the CDs was faster than allowing them to download from the website as I had to do with the rest which took about a week to download.  If I had a faster internet, I would have then simply installed WS12 and let them download everything fresh, but from the CDs it took a bit off the download time, but not much.

The reason I used Easy Transfer on the Windows XP to Windows 7 laptops, is I could not remember some passwords for some websites and that restored my browsing history with all my websites passwords intact.    I never imagined it could have been corrupted and I added stuff I was not aware of.   [redacted]

[redacted]

But after what you reported to me, I have to agree my stuff had been hacked, but not at the website, but most likely on that laptop, and now I understand how my stuff could have gotten corrupted.   I just never considered the Pawn Shop would have messed with that, even though out of her control I was very worried if they sold it someone else may steal my information or go to my email or log in to my other accounts.  Most people that would do such have no interest in the Bible because the do not have the Holy Spirit to give them a conscience.  Nor do I know what other surprises I can expect down the road if they had access to so much of my information and all my accounts.

But if someone that would merge their stuff with mind as though they were planning on keeping that Laptop, that makes me wonder did they steal my BibleWorks 9, or my Quick Verse Platinum or Illumina Gold Premium or any of my Hebrew and Greek Software.  What else could they have stole without me knowing about it?   I had AutoCad 2000 from when I was in Mechinical Engineering, and other expensive software installed, which I expected to get back as soon as she got her own laptop.  That was only a loaner laptop for her eyes only.  In fact the text I left on the desktop clearly said that no one else could use that but her.

But after all you shared, I am not going to give Logos a hard time as I believe your concerns are fully justified, and I am in full agreement with your concerns.   I only had the information I could see from my end and did not believe there was anything wrong, and thought I was being unjustly treated.  From what I could see, I had what I should have, and could not see the stuff you have revealed so far. I still question if any of those extra stuff made any difference (which you claimed was over 7000 items, much less than I see in my WS12) since I only see what I should have in my library and you had unknown stuff for much that was not showing up in my PC wordsearch or the www.MyWSB.com web app.   That is why unless others signed in as me, I doubt they could use my file if they had it.  But whoever had custody of my Laptop could use that until my daughter redeemed it and returned it to me.

With that said, I owe Logos and apology, as I said I would do above.  I said if you could prove me wrong, I would retract my claims of a hidden motive.   While I now believe I am being victimized multiple times over several things I was not aware of, I am convinced it is not Logos fault.  So I retract my claims above, at least about this issue, but not on those inflated Cyber Monday and Christmas Base Package Discounts I already brought to Bob's attention and he said he would fix those even thought the inflated Christmas Discounts were still there several weeks later.

Even so I am still out all those CDs and other software that was lost in that 2014 fire.   I had stopped looking for receipts when you people stopped adding them to my account after only 2 of them.  If I can get the strength after it gets warmer, I will return to the attic and finish unpacking those boxes to see if any more receipts survived.

On Friday 11/27/2020 I send Logos Customer Service the following email with an attachment:

I contacted you over a month ago and provided you my Purchase Receipt for The Pentecostal Library CD-Rom (WORDsearch 8 Version) Compiled by Stanley M. Horton, Published by Gospel Publishing House (2009).

PRODUCT DETAIL
    Catalogue Code 293889
    Product Code 9780882434803
    ISBN 0882434802
    EAN 9780882434803
    Pages 1
    Department Academic
    Category Software
    Sub-Category General
    Publisher Gospel Publishing House
    Publication Date Oct 2009
    Dimensions 190 x 140 x 15mm
    Weight 0.085kg

This item is the same as your Logos title "Stanley M. Horton Theology and Biblical Studies Collection (5 vols.)Stanley M. Horton Theology and Biblical Studies Collection (5 vols.)"

My logos account for that product listing previously said "You own this product." but now it says I have to purchase this.  The following is what your listing details previously said before you removed it:

Acts: A Logion Press Commentary By Stanley M. Horton                                                               Owned
Bible Doctrines: A Pentecostal Perspective By William W. Menzies, Stanley M. Horton          Owned
I & II Corinthians: A Logion Press Commentary By Stanley M. Horton                                         Owned
Systematic Theology: Revised Edition By Stanley M. Horton                                                         Owned
What the Bible Says about the Holy Spirit By Stanley M. Horton                                                 Owned
                                                                                                            Total value if sold separately: $128.87

You have never explained to me why you removed this from my account.   It is still in my WORDsearch library, and even though you told me I had to provide proof of purchase to get it back, which I did email you a copy of that receipt, you still have not restored that to my account.   All you said was you were researching it, and when I contacted WORDsearch support about that same receipt, all they said was it was too late to be adding this to my WORDsearch account, and failed to understand it was already in my WORDsearch account and it was Logos that removed it from migration.  WORDsearch said that is why they advise folks to Register those CD purchases, but he failed to recognize that CD was already registered with my WORDsearch account and why those are still there now, but not in Logos like it was earlier.

That receipt was from Christian Book Distributors (ChristianBook.com) dated 12/5/2009 and was listed on that receipt as Catalog Code 293889 as "WORDSEARCH 8 PENTICOSTAL LIB CDR".  Obviously that receipt did not allow for the full title of "The Pentecostal Library CD-Rom (WORDsearch 8 Version)" so they abbreviated that title and did include the Catalog Code, but not the ISBN number which was more digits than the field on that receipt.  Actually, that may not have been the receipt but a Packing Invoice which was just as good.   I was working remotely and buying from one location and having them sent to my mother's house next door to mine, for when I got home.  So I would have received the receipt with the price, and the duplicate packing invoice was with the shipment, which is what I sent you in that earlier email.  But this invoice did say I paid by Check and had the Customer Number and the Invoice Number.

It was not my fault the receipt did not have room for the full title, but it did have the Catalog Number, so I do not know why you failed to restore that to my account.

I later emailed WORDsearch support about this and provided the Product Details at the top of this email to help them identify the product since the title was abbreviated, but never received a reply after that.

You said if I provided that receipt, you would restore that to my library, but here it is a couple months later, and you had proof, yet that resources your removed from my library is still missing.

To me it sounds like you failed to honor your word to restore that once I provided the Receipt, which I should not have had to do, since that license is in my WORDsearch Account, even though it came from a CD license that was added to my WORDsearch account.

So are you going to honor your word, or are you violating that license by removing it without cause and after receiving proof of purchase?

That receipt was sent to both Logos and WORDsearch at Logos request.   The guy at WORDsearch failed to understand what was going on and acted like all those receipts were being requested for addition after the accusition, and failed to understand those are already in my library and Logos was requesting I get them in the bookstore history.   He said he advises folks to register them when they get them, but that is exactly what WORDsearch 8 did when I first installed that, it registered those with their account.  Both WORDsearch and Logos never replied after that.   I had submitted proof for other CDs, but in hindsight those may have already been added to the Bookstore when converting from STEP to Wordsearch format.   It is just that after those CDs were lost in the fire, I do not know the contents to know what was added and what may not have been, but only the titles.   But WORDsearch chose to ignore those receipts.  Some went back to Nav Press (Navigators) that was later WORDsearch.  And several produced for ICR (Institute for Creation Research), but those STEP books may be in my library, but with out the listing to see what was included I do not know what may be missing or not.

Since that "The Pentecostal Library CD-Rom (WORDsearch 8 Version)" was lost in that fire, I did not install that on the Windows 10 like I did the other CDs before installing WS12 and logging in to get the rest.   But Logos never got that added even with proof of purchase from Christian Book Distributes where I got most my CDs that was removed by Logos.

Too much said already.   You can probably sense that I am a hermit who has lived alone for the past 30 years with only an occasional visit by family, so I talk too much whenever I do, because no one else to talk to the rest of the time.  With the Virus not being able to go to Church and now it is open again, by bum left knee prevents me getting out, so a lot is bottled up inside and no one to share it with.  And I am dealing with far too many problems like the above and unresolved health issues alone with very little money left to help.

Posts 8975
LogosEmployee

I don't have access to the CS email system, so I can't see any of these receipts you've sent in. I won't be able to follow up on that until Monday at the earliest.

BTW, one of the things that makes this difficult is that we don't have full records (from BE/QV/WS/LW, and especially from third-parties who produced compatible CDs) of what the contents of all the CDs actually were. This makes it difficult for us to know exactly what needs to be unlocked to transfer a purchase into our system. (This doesn't apply to purchases through wordsearchbible.lifeway.com, only through earlier systems, or offline on CD.) And of course sometimes CDs got reissued with slightly different contents but not all producers were meticulous about labelling their CDs "version 1", "version 2", etc. Then of course we have to map those onto our resources, which might be slightly different.

Anyway, my point is just that this can sometimes be a time-consuming process to get right.

However, I think I've unlocked it for you. It had 141 licenses on it. (Those may not all be new licenses, there might be some overlap with books you acquired through other purchases.) Please let me know if this unlock worked for you.

Are you able to check that the 141 unlocks (again, they may not be 141 completely new, distinct books) in QuickVerse Bible Suite came through? Like I said, we've never done unlocks in this exact way before, so it's important for us to know that this unlock mechanism is working before working on more CDs.

Posts 54
Ricky Daugherty | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2021 1:41 PM

I don't have access to the CS email system, so I can't see any of these receipts you've sent in. I won't be able to follow up on that until Monday at the earliest.

BTW, one of the things that makes this difficult is that we don't have full records (from BE/QV/WS/LW, and especially from third-parties who produced compatible CDs) of what the contents of all the CDs actually were. This makes it difficult for us to know exactly what needs to be unlocked to transfer a purchase into our system. (This doesn't apply to purchases through wordsearchbible.lifeway.com, only through earlier systems, or offline on CD.) And of course sometimes CDs got reissued with slightly different contents but not all producers were meticulous about labelling their CDs "version 1", "version 2", etc. Then of course we have to map those onto our resources, which might be slightly different.

Anyway, my point is just that this can sometimes be a time-consuming process to get right.

Are you able to check that the 141 unlocks (again, they may not be 141 completely new, distinct books) in QuickVerse Bible Suite came through? Like I said, we've never done unlocks in this exact way before, so it's important for us to know that this unlock mechanism is working before working on more CDs.

Again all I can say is thank you for your patience and for helping to sort out this mess.

I agree many Quick Verse Bible Suit books may be overlaps.   Many times I tried to figure out what I had and what was missing from my QVBS, however, your Migration Status seems to omit useful information which would have helped.   Several times I attempted to reconcile what titles were in your list matched some of my CDs and I had a problem with missing Authors in your list, with a repeated title but I had the same titles in my stuff with different authors, so I would not know which one was the ones from older CDs or which were from later stuff.   Since I do not have book IDs like you have all I could go by were titles, which sometimes were abbreviated or cryptic and many times duplicate titles for different authors.   I did the same with several of my STEP book CDs and found too many duplicate titles from different authors, but could not tell which were which from the limited date in your Migration Status Page.   It would have helped to have more information there.   From your point of view that was adequate with book numbers you recognized, but from our point of view book ids would not be as helpful as Authors to go with your book ids.

But I agree there may have been a lot of overlap, but I assumed there had to be some not overlapped in that collection.   The same was true with my CBD reference Library.   The first thing that flagged my attention was that my "Vines" was removed from that Migration Status which I knew was in the CBD collection, however, later I saw I already had the Vines in my Logos Library, but did not want to go book by book again to see what else was missing that was in that CD that may not have already been in my Logos account.

Anyway, many thanks again.   Logos ought to be proud to have you helping them as you do.  If just hurts that CS stopped communication with me.  But that is not the first time they did that.   Some years back they stopped replying to my emails.  The silence only adds to suspensions and speculation about Logos.   A professional attitude would be to answer even if you do not agree, which surely what you have done here, plus you had the patience to explain which helps when the other side does not understand what is going on.

...And of course sometimes CDs got reissued with slightly different contents...

I ran into that.  I have a WS5 Thompson Chain Reference library I was trying to get added just in case the contents were different than the WS7 I purchased later in WORDsearch format.   In that case I believe there were things added n the WS7 that I did not have in the WS5 which had a slightly different title, like I believe included the phrase Preaching Library to that WS5 Thompson title.   I was afraid some Preaching Library items may have been omitted, however, I see I purchased that Preaching Library in the Book Store separately, so can only assume those items are in my later purchase that you do have in active migration to Logos.

I also had a WS9 Preaching Gold CD that was lost in that fire, and not found the receipt for that, and a WS9 Complete Biblical Library Old and New Testaments that was also lost in the fire and can not find the receipts for those.   I found a text file I had with those mentioned, but can not find them.  But I wondered if those were produced by one of those third party vendors for WS like my WS9 Joice Meyer CD I also had but lost in that fire may have been produced by a third party.  I had several WS CDs I had purchased from various ministries over they years that are gone as well, and they may have been produced by others to work with WORDsearch.

I know that is the case with a lot of E4 CDs that I still have which had books made by others, but included in STEP format to work with a distributional copy of QuickVerse.  When WS scanned those STEP books after WS purchases QV, none of those titles were recognized in their store suggesting they were all third party productions. 

Even my Quick Verse 2009-2010 Platinum only mostly matched WS books in the WS store, because we (Wordsearch CS and myself) spent about a month of communicating about missing items and them replacing some with similar ones to replace the missing items.  Plus WS added those to my store purchases, even though I believe the missing items were those which WS was unable to acquire the licensed to on their WS platform.

Just saying I understand what you are saying.

Posts 8975
LogosEmployee

We discovered evidence over the weekend that (in conjunction with analysis of the Wordsearch source code) leads us to believe that you have been using other customers' unlock files and backing them up to your account.

This is a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy, and grounds for termination of your account.

We have not terminated your account, but have left it intact with your existing logos.com purchases and licenses imported from the Wordsearch Sales database. However, we will not be unlocking any Wordsearch, QuickVerse, or any other CDs on your account.

Please do not continue to use our forums to post false claims about your account and licenses. Further intentional violations of our terms of service may lead to your account being cancelled at our sole discretion.

Posts 54
Ricky Daugherty | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2021 8:07 PM

We discovered evidence over the weekend that (in conjunction with analysis of the Wordsearch source code) leads us to believe that you have been using other customers' unlock files and backing them up to your account.

This is a violation of our Acceptable Use Policy, and grounds for termination of your account.

We have not terminated your account, but have left it intact with your existing logos.com purchases and licenses imported from the Wordsearch Sales database. However, we will not be unlocking any Wordsearch, QuickVerse, or any other CDs on your account.

Please do not continue to use our forums to post false claims about your account and licenses. Further intentional violations of our terms of service may lead to your account being cancelled at our sole discretion.

I agree with what you are saying must have happend, but disagree I was aware of what happened until you shared what you did.  It is not fair to assume I knew about it.  I do thank you for all you did to figure out what happened.

I will respect your request to abstain from any more posts here regardless of my feelings or objections.  I know if I was you I most likely would have thought the same.

Thanks for all your help and decisions. 

Page 4 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS