New in Logos 9: Commentaries guide section redesign

Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 278
LogosEmployee
Daniel Di Bartolo | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 21 2020 5:22 PM

Description: Identify your commentaries at a glance with book covers, series abbreviations, and authors. Sort by default, series, or author; or group by Type of commentary, Era in which it was written, or Denomination of the author.

Learn more about the Commentaries guide section.

Posts 4465
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:57 AM

One of my two favourite new features!

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 1447
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 1:33 PM

I agree! This is a huge timesaver that will save me from unnecessarily clicking through many of the commentaries that happen to be in my library.

I strongly urge Faithlife to complete tagging of the commentaries, especially the Type and Era taggings. Is there any way we can help expedite this tagging process? Can we help fill out a spreadsheet to speed up the process?

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:11 PM

Yeah, this is easily one of the best new features of L9. Love it!

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 1931
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 8:06 PM

A lot of the commentaries are still not tagged accordingly (or without tag at all). Especially under the "year" part, which should be the minimum for all commentaries tag.

There are more commentaries that aren't included in the subcategories than the ones are tagged in the subcategories. 

Posts 9397
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 8:11 PM

John Kight:
Yeah, this is easily one of the best new features of L9

Yes I like the fact that I now know which commentary is which, a long-standing frustration. I don't think I'll use the different ways to sort the commentaries very often, but labeling the commentaries will be quite helpful.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4465
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 8:22 PM

mike:
There are more commentaries that aren't included in the subcategories than the ones are tagged in the subcategories. 

Yes and no. In my library, and I imagine most other libraries that are much smaller than yours, almost all of them have era tagging. Denominational tagging is much less far advanced. Faithlife has affirmed that they're actively working on this. I suggest reporting any mistakes that you may find.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 224
André Kamphuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 3:52 AM

Daniel Di Bartolo:

Description: Identify your commentaries at a glance with book covers, series abbreviations, and authors. Sort by default, series, or author; or group by Type of commentary, Era in which it was written, or Denomination of the author.

Learn more about the Commentaries guide section.

Can someone explain to me what drives how the commentary titles appear in the new guides?

It doesn't seem to use consistently either the long or short titles in my library. I used to edit my commentary titles so that they appear similarly in the commentary guides, but that is not the case anymore.... 

Posts 4200
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 6:07 AM

SineNomine:

What's the other one? :)

Posts 4465
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 6:42 AM

Mattillo:

SineNomine:

This one.

Posts 4200
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 7:00 AM

SineNomine:

Mattillo:

SineNomine:

This one.

I love dark mode on my ipad but it didn't function well for me on my MacBook.  I had trouble reading the headings in the Omasticon. Any issues on your end?

Posts 2472
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 7:13 AM

I can confirm that the headings below each section is white on white.

Posts 812
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 11:54 AM

André Kamphuis:
Can someone explain to me what drives how the commentary titles appear in the new guides?

Sure! It uses (in order):

• Series abbreviation (new metadata added to commentary resources);
  • OR Series title
  • OR Resource abbreviation (if no series, eg, single-volume commentaries)
  • OR Resource title

We are judicious in coming up with series abbreviations, following the SBL style guide for the most part (iirc). 

Posts 4465
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 1:39 PM

Eli Evans (Faithlife):

Sure! It uses (in order):

• Series abbreviation (new metadata added to commentary resources);

Are you already planning to expose this new metadata as a column in the Library panel shortly (like Abbreviated Title), or should I add that request to feedback.faithlife.com?

Posts 812
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 3:05 PM

SineNomine:
Are you already planning to expose this new metadata as a column in the Library panel shortly (like Abbreviated Title), or should I add that request to feedback.faithlife.com?

Technologically speaking, it's a resource "trait" so probably part of if/when we expose those to the library, but I haven't heard about this one specifically. Never wrong to add things to feedback.faithlife.com. 

Posts 1447
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 7:01 PM

PL:

I agree! This is a huge timesaver that will save me from unnecessarily clicking through many of the commentaries that happen to be in my library.

I strongly urge Faithlife to complete tagging of the commentaries, especially the Type and Era taggings. Is there any way we can help expedite this tagging process? Can we help fill out a spreadsheet to speed up the process?

BUMP.

@Sean (or whoever is responsible for this work), can you please prioritize and see to it that many more commentaries are tagged for the revamped Commentaries section in the Passage Guide?

Posts 4465
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:09 PM

Eli Evans (Faithlife):

SineNomine:

Technologically speaking, it's a resource "trait" so probably part of if/when we expose those to the library, but I haven't heard about this one specifically.

First time for everything!

Eli Evans (Faithlife):
Never wrong to add things to feedback.faithlife.com. 

I may quote you on this in the future...

Also, done: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/842

Posts 177
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:23 PM

My vote is in. Thanks for setting that up. Carla

Posts 18675
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 8:56 PM

André Kamphuis:
It doesn't seem to use consistently either the long or short titles in my library. I used to edit my commentary titles so that they appear similarly in the commentary guides, but that is not the case anymore.... 

Concur customized commentary titles no longer appear for Series resources (not like). Please Vote/Comment => Commentary Guides: Add Abbreviated Title after "Abbreviated Series" OR Series

A number of Commentary Series have more than one volume for Bible Book(s). Revamped Commentary Guide shows Series, Passage, Author(s) so requesting change to show Series, Volume (preferably Abbreviated Title), Passage, Author(s). Personally have customized Abbreviated Title to include year of content, which now does not appear in Commentary Guides. Forum reply => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/194962/112853… includes a screen shot showing a couple series having more than one volume.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4
Andreas Mueller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 5:09 AM
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Personally have customized Abbreviated Title to include year of content, which now does not appear in Commentary Guides.

You can see the full and abbreviated title by hovering your mouse on the little book cover icon in the Commentary Guide. Nevertheless, I very much hope that we will get some customizable string included in the Commentary Guide. I'm personally using custom titles to display my personal rating system for multiple different aspects of the commentaries. My vote for your feature request is in.
Page 1 of 3 (50 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS