Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
Carl Henning | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 26 2020 2:35 PM

Being new to the Logos ecosystem, having come over in the WordSearch transition, I'm unfamiliar with the policy with past versions.

Not having a couple hundred bucks today for the upgrade, I need to know how long L8 will keep working and have bug fixes. Can I still buy new books that will work on L8? I'm a little bit nervous about not knowing what I don't know to ask. What has happened with past upgrades?

Posts 269
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 2:48 PM

Carl for now all resources should work in Lgoos 8 and even if they don't about Spring or so the Logos 9 engine will be free to everyone so I suggest you get the update then. You can then use Logos 9 with your current resources.

Posts 6
Carl Henning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 2:55 PM

Whew! Glad I asked. I was getting nervous. Thanks.

Posts 2092
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 3:06 PM

Logos 8 (L8) is not disappearing.  Many will not update to L9.  Some are even using older versions.  L9 gives new features.  If you do not have L9, you simply do not have the new features.  The old features in L8 are still in L9. Your L8 is protected and you do not have to worry about losing it.

Posts 11323
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 3:31 PM

Carl Henning:

Being new to the Logos ecosystem, having come over in the WordSearch transition, I'm unfamiliar with the policy with past versions.

Not having a couple hundred bucks today for the upgrade, I need to know how long L8 will keep working and have bug fixes. Can I still buy new books that will work on L8? I'm a little bit nervous about not knowing what I don't know to ask. What has happened with past upgrades?

Already answered, but just to expand:

- Even if you didn't download the free L9 next spring, they update L8 for bugs, etc, for a while (months). Then, it can continue to talk to the FL server beyond that (more months).

- The older Logos software doesn't time-out and die ... usually a system change happens (eg Windows or Mac) or the computer collapses.

- I'm still using L3 developed 20 years ago, plus L7 developed 4 years ago. They're both happy. Granted, neither is on-line. 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 3:36 PM

It will be soon after the new year that Logos 9 will be available as a free upgrade.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 636
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 3:45 PM

Mark Smith:

It will be soon after the new year that Logos 9 will be available as a free upgrade.

Please don't just suggest that L9 will be "free." The ENGINE, core program, whatever you want to call it will be free...IF they want to download it. That free upgrade does not include many of the bells and whistles that most of us have paid for. Logos' (Faithlife's) policy has been that the engine is free, however, to be able to stay in business, they have to sell resources and datasets.

Posts 8867
LogosEmployee

Carl Henning:
I need to know how long L8 will keep working and have bug fixes. Can I still buy new books that will work on L8?

Our support policy is at https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007391412-About-Free-Support 

We'll be updating it very soon to say that Logos 9 is "Supported" and Logos 8 is "Maintenance". What that means is we will keep providing technical support for L8, and keep delivering Logos 8 updates to make sure it can read all the books and to fix major bugs.

Eventually, once the free Logos 9 Engine is available, Logos 8 will move to "Unsupported" status and we will encourage all customers to update to L9 for ongoing support.

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 5:22 PM

Bill, I have no interest in arguing. There are new features everyone gets for free in L9.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 9:48 AM

Carl Henning:

8 will continue to work fine for quite a while. They will announce when it reaches its end of support. However, 9 (basic) will be free in the spring.

I have been around Logos for a while, and have a lot of resources, so with dynamic pricing I was able to pick up a base package (books only, no datasets or featuers) for 46 cents (!!).

Not sure how prominently the wordsearch titles figure into the new base packages, but I suspect you might be able to find a deal if you look through all the "starter" level packages for 9. The next cheapest (books only, no datasets or features) package was I think 9$ for me. Figured I could skip the big mac and cheese once this month, and grabbed them both.

Then I jumped up to platinum (~100$ again books only, I'm paying for FL connect which provides the features to me). Turns out its cheaper if you buy the smaller package first, and work your way up. But hey. I'm pretty happy over all.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS