Best Values Among the Logos 9 Base Packages

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 273
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 26 2020 6:33 PM

From a quick glance at the packages it appears there has been some re-configuring of them for Logos 9 - although my impression is that the changes are not as great as in past versions. I will definitely purchase a new Logos 9 package very soon.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which package(s) represent the best value in terms of resources you get for the money?  I am not interested in the highest packages as I will not spend that much money. Basically up through Platinum level with the different traditions, etc. Looking forward to your input.

Posts 1215
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 6:36 PM

Simul-post! I guess great minds think alike; I just started a thread asking basically the same thing.

Right now, the most appealing package to me is Academic Premium, which provides the Full Feature set.

Posts 2472
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:00 PM

Logos Standard Silver.. for Carta Collection and Academic Premium. That's what I think are a great combo. I have FL connect so I get full feature package with that

Posts 1750
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:06 PM

Academic Premium looks like a quite good deal. But the unexpected one so far for me is Verbum Eastern Rite Silver, if for no other reason than the NCP Augustine volumes - and there are other good things in there too.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 3274
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:07 PM

I actually bundled both Standard and Baptist Gold

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 37
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:11 PM

John Fidel:

Logos Standard Silver.. for Carta Collection and Academic Premium. That's what I think are a great combo. I have FL connect so I get full feature package with that

Bingo!

Posts 9397
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:38 PM

Greg Corbin:
Does anyone have suggestions as to which package(s) represent the best value in terms of resources you get for the money? 

They all give good value for the money. The question is, what do you already have and what would you like to have?

For me an upgrade to Standard Diamond (I had the last Standard Diamond) was only about $350 without the feature set (I have Faithlife Connect and don't need to buy the features).Of course I got Carta and the lower level offerings, completed the Pillar and TDOT/TDNT sets, got the 12 EEC volumes offered, two Exegetical Summary resources I didn't have, plus a number of other resources I felt were valuable. It took me awhile to make this decision, but I used the comparison tool and took notes, and finally decided this was a good way for me to add some solid commentaries and a few other resources I'll make use of. I think I added 208 new resources for that $350. EEC alone would have cost more than $400. 

The last two times around I've found more of what I want in Standard than in a denominational package (I'm a Baptist, but look at many of them).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9397
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 7:42 PM

BTW: The Academic packages are certainly a great deal for those who are interested in the sorts of resources they offer.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4465
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 8:09 PM

The Verbum Eastern Rite libraries are my favourites, at the moment, given their extensive coverage of the Early Church Fathers.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 131
Matt Zimmerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 8:21 PM

I have had Bible Speaks Today on my wishlist for more than a year. But I don't want to spend $500 since I already have the Preacher's Outline (POSB) which is AMAZING. But I checked and the BST is in the Anglican Silver and that package only costs me $212! I can't believe it!

Posts 177
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 8:29 PM

I totally forgot about the Academic packages. Just picked up Academic Professional for $11:99. Great deal. 

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 26 2020 11:01 PM

John Fidel:

Yep! That was my analysis too. If you want counseling resources go for Logos Standard Gold, otherwise Silver is a great buy along with Academic Premium.  

Posts 9415
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 4:38 AM

cshover8669:

I totally forgot about the Academic packages. Just picked up Academic Professional for $11:99. Great deal. 

I also missed this until now. What an amazing deal!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2854
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:36 PM

For me the Logos 9 upgrade was a great opportunity to build my library. 

By purchasing the Anglican Platinum package for $636.32, I was able to add all of Carta, complete several of my commentary sets that have new or updated volumes, add several excellent commentary sets, add much Patristic or Church Fathers material, and much more.  After that I added Lutheran Silver upgrade for $184.39 giving me Dietrich Bonhoeffer's works, and more. Bonhoeffer alone sells for $367.   

My total purchase was $820.61 plus tax.

I am much more excited about these resources that I gained than any of the features of Logos 9.  

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2854
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:39 PM

Mark, am I right to assume that The Academic packages are only for students or teachers?  In other words, not for pastors?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:42 PM

I believe you have to be a professor or student to get one of the academic packages. My seminary/faithlife provides us with academic basic at no charge.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1215
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 10:04 PM

Mike Childs:

Mark, am I right to assume that The Academic packages are only for students or teachers?  In other words, not for pastors?

The Academic packages are primarily original language manuscripts and reference works. They can be viewed at this page just before the feature sets.

Unless you are a pastor who regularly works in the original languages, they are likely to contain little of interest. The Premium one does contain the Anchor-Yale Bible Dictionary, which is an outstanding resource and well worth acquiring if you don't have it already.

(I'm a professor-turned-pastor. I'm considering Academic Premium as it's only $100 more than the Full Feature set for me. My area was/is systematic theology, for which it offers nothing, but I do need to update my very old versions of NA & BHS, plus it has a few other reference works I'm interested in. Or, at least things I think I should have if I don't use them all that much. I'm still considering!)

Posts 2472
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 12:48 AM

Mike Childs:

Anyone can purchase the Academic packages... you do not have to be a student or professor. Whether it is best for you if you are not one of those depends on your individual situation.

Posts 776
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 6:23 AM

Hi SineNomine:

Nice to know what makes the particular product valuable to you.

I wish there was a guide that listed the particular subject(s) and the associated resources that gives value to particular packages.

Example:

Verbum: Church Fathers, moral theology, social teaching, philosophy relation to theology, etc.

Baptist: missions, evangelism, church planting, etc.

Reformed: systematic theology, exegesis, ad fontes, etc.

P n C: gifts of the Spirit, Holiness, faith in the Living Word, etc.

Lutheran: comparative dictionary of theological terms: Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Loci communes, etc.

Jewish: Shekinah and relation to presence of God , Oneness of God and its relation to Theophanies, Emunah concept, etc.

More than 2000 years, and seems like experts cannot clearly show fellow humans what is that a particular tradition has valuable so that others can explore and learn.

Maybe is hard to hermeneute the pericope:

Mat 5:14  You are the light of the world. A city located on top of a hill cannot be hidden,

Mat 5:15  nor do they light a lamp and place it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it shines on all those in the house.

Mat 5:16  In the same way let your light shine before people, so that they can see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

But what do we now. Baffling.

Posts 11161
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 9:51 AM

Hamilton Ramos:

I wish there was a guide that listed the particular subject(s) and the associated resources that gives value to particular packages.

Example:

Verbum: Church Fathers, moral theology, social teaching, philosophy relation to theology, etc.

Baptist: missions, evangelism, church planting, etc.

Reformed: systematic theology, exegesis, ad fontes, etc.

P n C: gifts of the Spirit, Holiness, faith in the Living Word, etc.

Lutheran: comparative dictionary of theological terms: Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Loci communes, etc.

Jewish: Shekinah and relation to presence of God , Oneness of God and its relation to Theophanies, Emunah concept, etc.

FL does that to a certain extent with in the Overview section, e.g.

and the featured resources:

but then again, due to the dynamic pricing, what one actually gets are the new resources (e.g., the overall focus of Standard Gold may not be on counselling, but in fact, everything I'd get if I bought it would be counselling guides).  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS