So, who else has found L9 to be a bit...underwhelming?

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:23 AM

Bruce and others, in hindsight I wish I had written "some of us" or simply not posted at all.  Live and learn.

You all reached me.  I will do better.

Posts 1750
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:23 AM

David Paul:

I'm glad you finally got the things you needed. I never did--there are at least half-a-dozen MUST HAVES for my study process in L3 that never got ported or remade in LSince. I wish that would change, but I'm pretty sure it never will. So, I'm stuck with L3 until the end it seems.

And that, of course is the reason for my initial thought of "Ugg" at the thought of a complete rewrite, even if the only feature from L3 that I really miss is the almost certainly unintended feature of being able to search locked books - so I made a Libronix collection of some significant books which I had in physical and not electronic format.

Considering how tightly Libronix was with MS IE, I am impressed that you have been able to keep it running.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 9414
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:27 AM

JoshInRI:
Bruce and others, in hindsight I wish I had written "some of us" or simply not posted at all.  Live and learn.

I too am continually living and learning. May we never stop. On the other hand, I still think it is good to post our personal opinions in a positive framework, even if they are criticisms.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1045
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:33 AM

Bruce Dunning:

JoshInRI:

I too am continually living and learning. May we never stop. On the other hand, I still think it is good to post our personal opinions in a positive framework, even if they are criticisms.

Also constructive criticism. even if it is in a “negative teamwork”, you can still have some takeaway from it. But that one is just not constructive at all. That’s no actionable outcome From it.

Posts 1045
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:40 AM

Ken McGuire:

David Paul:

I'm glad you finally got the things you needed. I never did--there are at least half-a-dozen MUST HAVES for my study process in L3 that never got ported or remade in LSince. I wish that would change, but I'm pretty sure it never will. So, I'm stuck with L3 until the end it seems.

And that, of course is the reason for my initial thought of "Ugg" at the thought of a complete rewrite, even if the only feature from L3 that I really miss is the almost certainly unintended feature of being able to search locked books - so I made a Libronix collection of some significant books which I had in physical and not electronic format.

Considering how tightly Libronix was with MS IE, I am impressed that you have been able to keep it running.

I heard that before. I envy you. I think when I heard about that I tried to dig out old copies of Libronix. But I can’t find locked books inside the CD. IIRC you need to have downloaded those books from the website Back then, right? I have visited that website before unfortunately I didn’t keep any of the downloads.

Posts 3933
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 8:02 AM

Denise:
However, in the case of 'underwhelming', it's equivalent to 'not overwhelming'. Unexcited as not excited. There's no shared middle (going back to high school venn diagrams).

Surprisingly, there’s a middle but it happens to be archaic.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/19430/why-do-people-say-over-and-underwhelmed-but-never-just-whelmed

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 1750
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 8:05 AM

Kolen Cheung:
I heard that before. I envy you. I think when I heard about that I tried to dig out old copies of Libronix. But I can’t find locked books inside the CD. IIRC you need to have downloaded those books from the website Back then, right? I have visited that website before unfortunately I didn’t keep any of the downloads.

You did need a copy of the resource file on your system, yes. But the DVD had a lot of them, and, of course, the FTP site had more. And someone on the forums mentioned how Libronix would search locked resources. It wouldn't display them, but it gave you page numbers, IIRC.

It was also nice to be able to share compiled Personal Books instead of the source files. This made linking between PB's much more useful - and that was something MJ took advantage of in sharing a collection of Creeds.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2470
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 8:22 AM

Josh,

All is good. Thanks for posting back.

Posts 1319
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:21 AM

JoshInRI:

What a Christ-like response brother! Thank you for demonstrating the attitude of Christ here. I hope we can all learn from your example.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 889
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:25 AM

I guess what I notice when I use L9 (aside from the hideous splash loading screen) is that I don't notice it at all except when I notice it runs a bit faster.

Which is better than the updates/upgrades from most new versions of a software I've experienced

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Diamond

Posts 11330
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:28 AM

PetahChristian:

Good catch.

There's two easy-to-code features that FL is dragging its feet on (waiting for the 50th anniversary edition). One is sorting/formatting search results relative to both Logos and customer tagging/collecting. MS did similar early in Excel's life of kill-Lotus.

The other, is argument detection/mapping. I have that, and it's not terribly hard to code. Uses already existing architecture. But what is interesting, is that the same detection toolset works in akkadian, maybe 4,500 years back. People organized the verbal structure and flags quite early.

I'd say that's 'whelming'!!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2987
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 10:06 AM

JoshInRI:

Love this. If you ever get to the TX panhandle, I'm buying you a steak dinner or BBQ dinner of your choice.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 659
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 3:22 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

How would you like to see us spend the next six months? What's at the top of your wish list?

I'd love Logos to spend more time tagging sermons in older works. The 'Sermon' section in Passage Guide is great - and one of the best arguments for buying books, even public domain ones, in Logos - but is let down by a lack of tagging.

See eg:

Sermons in sets needing tagged

Disappointing tagging in preaching and sermon expansion pack

Posts 7632
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 3:46 PM

Stephen Steele:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

How would you like to see us spend the next six months? What's at the top of your wish list?

I'd love Logos to spend more time tagging sermons in older works. The 'Sermon' section in Passage Guide is great - and one of the best arguments for buying books, even public domain ones, in Logos - but is let down by a lack of tagging.

See eg:

Sermons in sets needing tagged

Disappointing tagging in preaching and sermon expansion pack

Phil, please see my last response in this thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/186839.aspx?PageIndex=2 

Thank you!

DAL

Posts 2854
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 5:39 PM

Personally, I like this upgrade. 

But not for the reasons that many others will find exciting.  It has been a long time since a new "feature" has been an important reason for me to upgrade, though I have not missed a Logos Bible Software upgrade in over 20 years.  I was excited when I discovered Bible software that could parse Greek. The next time a "feature" excited me was when they gave us the "passage guide".  That was the last feature that I have gotten excited about. 

That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate improvements in the software - particularly in terms of speed and reliability.  Thanks for the hard work, Logos employees!

For me it is all about the resources, and these Logos 9 packages are a real opportunity to get a bargain on some great resources.  

I find this upgrade compelling primarily because of Carta.  Also, it is a chance to pick up some upgraded and new volumes in my commentary sets.  In addition, some wonderful patristic material is available in some of the packages.

Hopefully there is some increase in speed and reliability.  Hopefully, they didn't change things too much,  

I think it is a great upgrade!  I am plum excited about it.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 6:35 PM

David Paul:

My grumpiness mushroomed when they got rid of Dave, my salesmen. Spitballing, I'd say that cost FL at least $10-20K since that happened. There's a lot of pain in my relationship with Logos, so that's the source of the emotion. 

~6000$ here. It was a series of things all at once. I've spent hundreds. but not thousands. The good old days. :(

Also, I perhaps exist in a rather large pocket of alternate reality, but the bulk of the pastors I know, also read academic titles. I have just about every journal logos sells. I don't know a single pastor that reads a daily devotional (that they would admit to) outside of at the request of a church member - IE "is this a good devotional". They prefer reading scripture directly. Also I have 6 collectors. so, maybe I'm a unicorn - rumored to exist, but no ones ever seen one.

3 was to date the only version I more or less skipped. 2 was great. 4 was a step above 2.

A professor required us to use his installation of 3 to find a journal article to cite in every paper that term. It was always a hassle. It NEVER worked right. I always had to monkey around with it to figure out how to get what he expected from us. Seems like I had to call him to get him to come to the library so I could log in, or something like that. The details fade. But my aggravation remains. I purchased series X scholars at one point I think, after the 4 launch on CD.

I did come back with 4, and I think I've grown with the software from that point.  I guess that makes me a customer of ~25 years. Maybe longer, my dad says he had logos bible software on a floppy (maybe a set of them) when I was a kid, and that I used it then. back in the windows 3.1 days.

Any way. I like 9.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1045
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 8:06 PM

David Paul:
My grumpiness mushroomed when they got rid of Dave, my salesmen. Spitballing, I'd say that cost FL at least $10-20K since that happened.

What happened to Dave?

Posts 4112
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:36 PM

Kolen Cheung:

David Paul:
My grumpiness mushroomed when they got rid of Dave, my salesmen. Spitballing, I'd say that cost FL at least $10-20K since that happened.

What happened to Dave?

He - along with most of the people I had ever interacted with were all let go around the same time. Fired.

It was a mass firing event. Lots of good people caught in the crossfire. Dave was good - pretty quick responses. Good advice.

Rusty was my favorite sales person. He resigned a week or so before the mass firing.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1045
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 10:46 PM

abondservant:

Kolen Cheung:

David Paul:

What happened to Dave?

He - along with most of the people I had ever interacted with were all let go around the same time. Fired.

It was a mass firing event. Lots of good people caught in the crossfire. Dave was good - pretty quick responses. Good advice.

Rusty was my favorite sales person. He resigned a week or so before the mass firing.

Was it Dave Jones, Academic Program Manager?

I remember him and just found old messages from my email account. That brings back memories in the old day where we would just email them to order things. Rereading those emails, he has been very helpful.

Sounds like something very bad happened and I missed it. Could be that they automated they out of jobs? I don't know what happened but would it be necessary to save the company? In Japanese culture company and its employees has a very strong loyalty, like "Till Death Do Us Part" level that they won't fire people until they go bankrupt, leading to a major economic recession decades ago. But in the US it seems it is a very common thing to downsize company to make them stay healthy. It is just a very American thing.

Posts 30230
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 2:04 AM

Kolen Cheung:
Could be that they automated they out of jobs?

More likely, the economic downturn at the time together with the expenses associated with adding denominational packages led to the layoff. Faithlife runs with a principle of not borrowing money.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS