Using Carta

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 58 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 277
JC54 | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 28 2020 12:21 PM

Okay, I have heard a lot of enthusiastic people about Carta and right now, I am one of the happy owners!

But, I wonder: how to use. Has anyone already found where they pop up nicely in a guide or something? If I am working on a piece of scripture. How do I use Carta to enrich my study?

And which of the 13 resources?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

Posts 1393
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 1:03 PM

I wanted them so I could use the images in my teaching slides in Proclaim. They have great maps, charts, photos, etc! You can do a media search for a particular passage (example Genesis 30-36) and check out the results. You'll likely have some neat Carta graphics in the results.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 1:43 PM

I have Carta in Accordance, but absent special tagging in Logos, I'd:

- Create a Carta collection (or myTags)

- Open a Cited By tool, connect it to your Carta collection (or myTag). Then link the Cited By tool to your Bible (or commentary ... any Bible indexed)

- The Carta Bible Atlas will follow events in your Bible, with associated maps. Click on the citation to see the map.

Onomasticon will discuss unusual locations in the text, especially in the NT. Eusebius (ancient church historian) did the research

Echos of the Past will discuss archeological and epigraphic evidence as you procede through the text

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 229
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 2:04 PM

Denise:

- Open a Cited By tool, connect it to your Carta collection (or myTag). Then link the Cited By tool to your Bible (or commentary ... any Bible indexed)

- The Carta Bible Atlas will follow events in your Bible, with associated maps. Click on the citation to see the map.

Onomasticon will discuss unusual locations in the text, especially in the NT. Eusebius (ancient church historian) did the research

Echos of the Past will discuss archeological and epigraphic evidence as you procede through the text

Thanks!  That was super helpful.

Posts 4280
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 2:09 PM

Denise:

Neat!  I'm going to try this tonight

Posts 7739
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 2:35 PM

Mattillo:

Denise:

Yes!!! I’ll do the same 👍😁👌

Posts 920
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 2:48 PM

Also, we've annotated many entities on the Carta maps, which lets you find relevant maps that would be hard to find with string searching. Media Search examples limiting the scope to Carta Bible Atlas: 

Posts 177
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 2:51 PM

DAL:

Mattillo:

Denise:

Yes!!! I’ll do the same 👍😁👌

YesStar

Posts 1482
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 3:02 PM

So, what would be the rule for Carta collection?

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 23978
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 3:04 PM

Wild Eagle:

So, what would be the rule for Carta collection?

publisher:carta  seems to do it

Posts 1482
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 3:07 PM

Graham Criddle:

publisher:carta  seems to do it

Wow, that was a fast reply. Thanks

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 9495
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 3:38 PM

Denise:

What a great suggestion Denise. I've now adopted this for my standard study layout. Thank you!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 177
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 5:17 PM

Denise:

Denise I have set this up. Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out, I have not ever used this particular tool before and I went a little crazy adding collections to it, I see great promise. Not a new feature by any means but one I was under-utilizing.  

Thanks again, Carla

Posts 2792
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:58 PM

Denise:

Ok, everyone is so excited. Great suggestion! But, I'm feeling real dumb, cause I can't figure how to get this to work. See my screenshot. What am I doing wrong? Can't get collection to harvest any hits???

Here's my Carta Collection;

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.1

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 8:31 PM

There are no Carta references to the chapter you are showing on your screen shot. Scroll down to chapter 8:

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 177
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:16 PM

Mark Smith:

There are no Carta references to the chapter you are showing on your screen shot. Scroll down to chapter 8:

Also, if that does not work, I had to to to the panel menu and click on follow, after I linked Cited by with my Bible to get it to change with the Bible passage and then if finally started showing results. I am not sure why setting the link set did not have it moving with my Bible, but it didn't. It was stuck on the first passage I had looked at for which there were no entries.

Carla

Posts 2792
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 2:34 AM

cshover8669:

Mark Smith:

Also, if that does not work, I had to to to the panel menu and click on follow, after I linked Cited by with my Bible to get it to change with the Bible passage and then if finally started showing results. I am not sure why setting the link set did not have it moving with my Bible, but it didn't. It was stuck on the first passage I had looked at for which there were no entries.

Carla

Thank you, Mark and Carla, but I still don't get a hitSad

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 23978
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:12 AM

Beloved Amodeo:

What do you get if you do a search in your Carta collection for the verse you are looking at?

Posts 2792
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:37 AM

Graham Criddle:

Beloved Amodeo:

What do you get if you do a search in your Carta collection for the verse you are looking at?

Thanks, Graham 

I think I know what's wrong. Indexing, I'm in the process of indexing my library. 

Posts 23978
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:54 AM

Beloved Amodeo:
I think I know what's wrong. Indexing, I'm in the process of indexing my library. 

That would probably explain it.

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS