Using Carta

Page 2 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 58 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 303
Hans van den Herik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 7:32 AM

I consider buying the update with Carta, but I have a simple question. How big are the maps? Can they e.g. be viewed in full/half screen? Are details visible? Is there a possibility to zoom in/out?

Thanks for answering.

Hans

Posts 227
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 7:39 AM

cshover8669:
Denise I have set this up. Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out, I have not ever used this particular tool before and I went a little crazy adding collections to it, I see great promise. Not a new feature by any means but one I was under-utilizing.  

Cited by is one of the single best tools in Logos/Verbum. 

Thanks, Denise, for the quick Carta set up - this works swimmingly.

Posts 24549
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 7:44 AM

Hans van den Herik:
I consider buying the update with Carta, but I have a simple question. How big are the maps? Can they e.g. be viewed in full/half screen?

Here is one of the maps in a floated window

Hans van den Herik:
Is there a possibility to zoom in/out?

There isn't a zoom feature specifically, but if you change the scaling on the window itself, you can zoom in

Posts 303
Hans van den Herik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 7:52 AM

Thanks!

Scaling on windows works perfectly!

Hans

Posts 2160
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 7:59 AM

Denise:
Open a Cited By tool

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "Cited By" tool?

Posts 227
Kevin Clemens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:03 AM

Mark:
what is a "Cited By" tool?

The Cited By tool searches your library for a given reference and shows citations to that reference in secondary sources within your library. You can link the tool to follow open resources, or search for a reference. 

More here

Posts 2160
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:08 AM

Thanks, Kevin

Posts 2160
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:30 AM

Michael:

Denise:

I have Carta in Accordance, but absent special tagging in Logos, I'd:

- Create a Carta collection (or myTags)

- Open a Cited By tool, connect it to your Carta collection (or myTag). Then link the Cited By tool to your Bible (or commentary ... any Bible indexed)

- The Carta Bible Atlas will follow events in your Bible, with associated maps. Click on the citation to see the map.

Onomasticon will discuss unusual locations in the text, especially in the NT. Eusebius (ancient church historian) did the research

Echos of the Past will discuss archeological and epigraphic evidence as you procede through the text

Thanks!  That was super helpful.

Yes, very helpful!

Posts 1018
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 8:55 AM

I have a Carta/Verbum question. Is there a reason for Verbum needing a higher tier than the rest of the Logos packages? I’m planning on getting Diamond anyway so this isn’t an angry question, but I was just curious as to why it is so.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 10:56 AM

I assume there wasn’t room to also include Carta in Verbum’s lower price points without taking out other resources they felt were more important for Verbum 9.

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 28
Peter Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 11:21 AM

Thanks all! Every day's a school day! Yes

Posts 297
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 11:36 AM

Very happy with all replies! Especially thanks to Denise for her wonderful approach to Carta!

Posts 1627
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 1:15 PM

Thanks for Denise and others!

I haven't used the "Cited by" tool after some first tests long time ago. I felt it uses strange terminology with unfamiliar concepts, and needs some computing acrobatics. Embarrassed

That said, now I bravely tried again, and got it working with the Carta books. Geeked

Looks like once I understand the feature, I can utilize it much more in the time being.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2522
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 1:18 PM

You get the same results if you add a collection to a Passage Guide and then select the Carta collection once you add it. If you have a Guide as part of your layout, you can do this instead of opening the Cited By tool.

Posts 2895
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:18 PM

John Fidel:

You get the same results if you add a collection to a Passage Guide and then select the Carta collection once you add it. If you have a Guide as part of your layout, you can do this instead of opening the Cited By tool.

This use of the Passage Guide appeals to me. I've made Layouts for both methods; now let's see which one I use most frequently. Thanks, John.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Posts 2895
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:36 PM

Graham Criddle:
There isn't a zoom feature specifically, but if you change the scaling on the window itself, you can zoom in
At least for OSMac if you hold down the CMD key and use the +/- keys one can zoom in and out. My guess is in Windows one would hold down the CTRL key to achieve the same result.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Posts 1627
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:17 AM

Beloved Amodeo:

John Fidel:

This use of the Passage Guide appeals to me. I've made Layouts for both methods; now let's see which one I use most frequently. Thanks, John.

Same here. Thanks to all!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 303
Hans van den Herik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:52 AM

Thanks for letting me know! I didn't realise that!

Hans

Posts 462
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 5:57 AM

Denise:

I have Carta in Accordance, but absent special tagging in Logos, I'd:

- Create a Carta collection (or myTags)

- Open a Cited By tool, connect it to your Carta collection (or myTag). Then link the Cited By tool to your Bible (or commentary ... any Bible indexed)

Thanks for this tip! I just created an "Atlases" collection and added it to my passage guide.

Extremely helpful!

Posts 2160
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 6:00 AM

Beloved Amodeo:
My guess is in Windows one would hold down the CTRL key to achieve the same result.

Does not seem to work for me, but thanks for the suggestion

Page 2 of 3 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS