Your Feedback on 9.2 and Beyond

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 26390
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 2:09 PM

Larry Craig:

I have commentaries that have revised editions that now show up side by side in the passage guide and I don't know which is which.  The EBC set  has multiple authors per volume and in some cases individual books were revised by the same author and in some cases the books were by different authors.  I had all that in my titles, and that is now gone.

You say I can change the series name?

Let me concentrate on this issue, as it illustrates what I stated above.

In case of Tyndale (Tyndale Commentaries), I changed* the series name of the older volumes i.e. Tyndale Originals. This avoids the confusion of abbreviated series names (TNTC/TOTC) for duplicate volumes in the Guide. Further, I changed* the series name of the other commentaries to avoid the TNTC/TOTC name altogether e.g. Tyndale Commentary.

The Revised EBC Volumes come with their own series name, but they get the same abbreviated series name (EBC) as the original series. To avoid that, change* the name of both series.

* select each volume in Library, click the Information icon, and change the Series name.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1029
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 2:54 PM

I've changed the name of every commentary I own, but with L9, they brought their own names, and I see no way to change them.  They are already changed in the information panel, but the changes are overridden by Logos.

Posts 26390
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 4:35 PM

Larry Craig:

I've changed the name of every commentary I own, but with L9, they brought their own names, and I see no way to change them.  They are already changed in the information panel, but the changes are overridden by Logos.

The Passage Guide will display a variety of Series names, but single-volume commentaries will be identified by Title or Abbrev. Title (if there is one).

• BKC is the abbrev. title for "Bible Knowledge Commentary" (single-volume)
  • "Revelation: A Shorter Commentary"  is the title of this book on Revelation
  • The Library shows Series names in bold.
  • Abbrev. Series like EBC, NAC, NIGTC come from Faithlife
  • Others have the full Series name
  • "Tyndale's Commentaries" is my Series name to avoid names like TNTC/TOTC.

If you don't like the Series names or abbreviations, you can give them your series name:

• In Library, select the volumes belonging to the series
  • open the Info pane
  • scroll down until you see Series
  • click in the box and change the name.
  • this will prevent PG abbreviating the name to EBC
  • repeat for the original series of 12 volumes.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1029
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 4:48 PM

I'm looking at the EBC as per your paste.  The EBC shows up in my passage guide with no distinction between the old or revised edition.  In the information panel, even the abbreviated title has the distinction.  So I don't see any point in trying to change anything in the information panel.

Posts 26390
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 3:00 AM

Larry

If your EBC shows up as per my first screenshot, what you are seeing is an abbreviated series name, NOT a title. So you have to change the Series name in the Info panel (second screenshot), and that will provide the distinction in your passage guide.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1029
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 6:06 AM

Hi Dave

I have the NICOT set.  It is abbreviated that way in my passage guide.  Their latest volume is on Amos, and the series name is not abbreviated in the passage guide but it has has name I gave it in the library.

I changed the series title for that book in the information panel, and it has no effect on the title in the passage guide.

Posts 4841
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 1:41 PM

Larry Craig:

Hi Dave

I have the NICOT set.  It is abbreviated that way in my passage guide.  Their latest volume is on Amos, and the series name is not abbreviated in the passage guide but it has has name I gave it in the library.

I changed the series title for that book in the information panel, and it has no effect on the title in the passage guide.

Sounds to me like a resource-specific data/tagging error on Faithlife's part, but I don't have that resource to investigate.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 1029
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 1:44 PM

No, I think they just made the commentaries to have unalterable titles, and that's just that.  The old rules still apply to non Bible Commentaries.

Posts 1984
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 2:00 PM

I know this is going to sound like "Bah, humbug!" It's just sort of sad to me that I wouldn't use any of those enhancements.

-Donnie

Posts 26390
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 2:44 PM

Larry Craig:

It would be better to illustrate your Passage Guide with screenshots.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    . I'm concerned you are altering series names on individual volumes instead of ALL volumes in the series.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1029
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 2:55 PM

The NICOT series is uniformly listed as NICOT by FL.  Their most recent book, Amos, spells out the entire name such that it doesn't fit in the space allotted, and so neither the book name or author is given in the passage guide.

I changed the one name in the series section of the information panel to match the rest of the books, and nothing happened.

Hey, it worked.  I just see now that it changed.

yippee!

Now I see another book here, LW.  What is that?  Oh, I see it's Luther's Works, but the series title in the information panel already says that.  So I don't see where changing that would do any good.

Posts 4841
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 4:18 PM

Larry Craig:
Oh, I see it's Luther's Works, but the series title in the information panel already says that.  So I don't see where changing that would do any good.

When the user hasn't changed anything about a book in a series, the Passage Guide will use a series abbreviation, if there is one. (In this case, "LW".) If the user changes the series name, the Passage Guide will use the custom series name instead of the abbreviated series. In this case, it appears that you want to see the default series name (Luther's Works) rather than the abbreviation. As a workaround, I would suggest changing the series to something like "Luther's_Works".

See also https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/add-abbreviated-series-as-a-column-in-the-library-panel

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 1029
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 5:00 PM

This is not working.  I need to maybe start a new thread addressed to somebody at FL.  The EBC has a revised version.  I  have both.  I went through a lot of trouble changing the title so I knew which book in each volume was the revised version.  Now it's all the same.  I have two EBCs in my passage guide.  I don't know which one is the revised version.  Every time I want to use it, I will have to open each one and figure out which is  the newer edition.  

Posts 1029
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 5:07 PM

Hi Phil 

I am thankful that FL finally added series titles and author to the commentaries in the passage guide.

However, you still need to allow us to make adjustments.  

For example, the EBC has a revised edition.  I have both, but the passage guide doesn't say which is which.  I have to open both to figure it out.  But you may say I can just prioritize the new one higher.

The volume I am looking at now has the minor prophets.  Some books were revised by the same author, others had new authors.  I had all that information in my edited title, so I knew right away that the psalm commentary was revised or not.  Which author was highly rated and which not.  

I don't understand why the default title is one that can't be changed.  I am enormously grateful, but I still would like to be able to tweak it.

Thank you

Posts 26390
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 7:33 PM

Larry Craig:
This is not working.  I need to maybe start a new thread addressed to somebody at FL.  The EBC has a revised version.  I  have both.  I went through a lot of trouble changing the title so I knew which book in each volume was the revised version.  Now it's all the same. 

Larry Craig:
For example, the EBC has a revised edition.  I have both, but the passage guide doesn't say which is which.  I have to open both to figure it out.  But you may say I can just prioritize the new one higher.

The volume I am looking at now has the minor prophets.  Some books were revised by the same author, others had new authors.  I had all that information in my edited title, so I knew right away that the psalm commentary was revised or not.  Which author was highly rated and which not.

Larry,

This has already been discussed. Go back in this thread to see a screenshot of how to change the series name of EBC to accomplish what you want in Passage Guide. All your work in changing the book title was fine for Logos 8, but it doesn't work in Logos 9; where you have to change the Series name. You don't have to change Prioritization.

When you've changed a series name, you have to regenerate Passage Guide to see the effect e.g. change the passage from Rom 4 to Rom 5.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1029
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 8:16 PM

OK, that worked.  thank you very much.

Sorry it took so long.  I still wish I could change more things.  e.g. in the Pulpit Commentary, I had the actual authors listed.  Logos just has the series editor.  Same with the Lange set.  Also like in EBC, where there are multiple authors in one volume, I had each author's name and asterisks if they were recommended and whether they were revised or not.

But I'm still thankful.

Posts 27
Marvin Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 8:24 PM

I am currently using the Sermon Manager to organize all of my sermons and bible classes. I wonder if it would be possible to have a link that would open a Powerpoint file from within the Manager. Maybe its already do-able and I am unaware...thoughts???

Posts 977
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 8:27 PM

Can you add this idea to your 9.2 list?: Make Go Box return to default size after search (Can everyone please go vote for this idea? Thanks!)

Currently, searching for books with long titles in the Go Box (even if you don't type out the whole title) causes the Go Box to expand and push the toolbar and shortcut items to the right. If you're using Logos on a smaller screen or half screen this means you can't see all of your shortcuts and even your Docs, Guides, and Tools menus may disappear. In order to fix this, I have to search for an item that I know has a shorter title (like the ESV) to get the Go Box to snap back to its original size. Please make the Go Box automatically snap back to its original size after executing a search. This is especially important since you'll be adding the Factbook to the toolbar. Those of us on laptops need all the space we can get.

(I actually would prefer you didn't add any more buttons to the toolbar and leave me with plenty of space to add my own. It's already super easy to get to the factbook, and if I want it even easier I can just add a shortcut to the toolbar, provided I have the space of course.)

Posts 31350
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 10:15 PM

Kiyah:

Please don't and please quit clearing the Universal Input Box. I frequently simply wish to change the volume number or a single search parameter and I hate having to enter the whole thing again. Yes, I complained in beta and no, my opinion has not changed. Real life use have made me more certain of my opinion.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9031
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 10:18 PM

MJ. Smith:
I frequently simply wish to change the volume number or a single search parameter and I hate having to enter the whole thing again.

You might like this suggestion: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/support-command-history-in-go-box 

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS