How are you using the new shortcut folders?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9534
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 29 2020 2:15 PM

How are you organizing the new shortcut folders? I am hoping to be inspired by those who are finding this helpful.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 31350
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 2:54 PM

I have one for Faithlife shortcuts: amber, facilitate serendipitous discovery, server status, reading lists . . .

one for standard references: silva rhetorica, word net, verb net, semantic dictionary, name vault . . .

one for lectionaries, calendars, and lectionary preparation site: The Text this Week, Lector Prep,

one for official church sites: vatican, USCCB, UK equivalent, some eastern rite diocese offices . . .

i.e. I use the shortcut bar for shortcuts to external sites not shortcuts within Verbum.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 177
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 2:59 PM

Bruce Dunning:

How are you organizing the new shortcut folders? I am hoping to be inspired by those who are finding this helpful.

I plan to put my Bible study layouts in a folder. There are 9 different layouts, one for each step, and  it takes up too much real estate on the short-cuts bar, so I am going to put them in a folder.

I also use the collections and personal book tools a lot, and update active layout, serendipitous discovery, etc. so will do a utility folder.

Probably do one for external websites as well.

After that, not sure. 

Carla

Posts 2087
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 3:01 PM

Right now I have a few favorite folders:

One for Greek and Hebrew Bibles and or layouts

One for Greek and Hebrew Vocabulary books

One Logos and Verbum Help Files

One for English Bibles for quick access

One for Study Bibles

Posts 44
Ole W. Jakobsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 9:46 AM

How do I create shortcut folders?

Posts 5173
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 9:58 AM

Ole W. Jakobsen:

Volià

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 4841
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 10:09 AM

Ole W. Jakobsen:

https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016817511-Toolbar-Shortcuts

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 27
Peter Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 10:17 AM

So far I have six single-letter folders squeezed in there.

B Bibles

C Commentaries (one volume, for parallel resource shortcuts - might drop this one)

L Layouts

O Original Language

M Monographs (this one needs work!)

T Tools (really guides and tools)

The advantage of single letters is that in time I can juggle them around to spell amusing, edifying, and occasionally inappropriate words :)

Posts 1614
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 10:18 AM

Planning: OT, Intermediate, NT, Curch_history, Study_bibles, References, Maps

Currently I am using layouts, and the shortcuts for additional information.

Interesting to see whether something will change.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 432
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 10:36 AM
  • Bibles
  • Custom Guides (Passage Overview, Language, Analogy of Scripture, Voices (commentaries), Culture, Service Planning)
  • Layouts
  • Quick Ref (Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, Dictionary of Bible Themes, other items touching my current studies or series)
  • Shortcuts (Cited By, Favorites, Information, Highlighting)
  • Theology

I'm watching Mo Proctor's webinar and he mentioned this a few minutes ago. I really like having more information in the shortcut bar.

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 11:26 AM

In this screenshot, New Testament, Old Testament, and Reading are layouts. Language is a combination of layouts and web links. I expanded Tools, as Logos already had an icon labeled Tools. If I were not lazy, I would probably rename Stick out tongue

Posts 2315
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 12:34 PM

So far...

C - A handful of common concise commentaries + a couple handbooks 

G - A few Greek tools

H - A few Hebrew Tools

T - A few misc. commonly accessed tools

Eventually I need a F for a Fibber McGee Folder

Posts 2805
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 4:30 PM

(D)ictionary- Easton, LBD, AYBD (3)

(F)unctionality- like, Atlas, Bible Browser, Compare Pericopes (7)

(F2)unctionality- like, Collections, Favorites, Highlighting (7)

(U)tility- like, Rebuild Index, Update Resources, Update Now (4)

(W)eb- like, Wikipedia, Google Translate (3)

I keep my Bibles as thumbnails, I prefer this. Same for BKC and Glossary of Morpho-Syntactic Database Terminology. I'm happy.Smile

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.1

Posts 2315
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 5:08 AM

Note that using single letter folder names makes folder designation simple, easy, and quick. 

Posts 7868
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 7:06 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but it’d be easier if, once a folder is created, we could have the ability to drag and drop resources in that folder.  I tried it and it didn’t work.  I had to right click and name each Bible the same folder name in order for it to get added to the folder.  
Also, if you have more than one folder, it’d be nice if there was a drop down menu with the names of the folders you have created and to give you the option to add to whatever folder you want.  Right click a resource and add to whatever folder you have available 👍😁👌

DAL

PS. I’m doing the same as others, English Bibles, Spanish Bibles, OL Bibles, Dictionaries, and I’ll add as needed anything else that might be useful in the future.

Posts 9534
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 7:36 AM

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas. I'm not inspired to develop a system that should work for me.

If anyone else would like to share I'd love to hear your ideas too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 51
Lucian Benigno | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 4:58 AM

A (Akkadian, Aramaic, ancient literature and so on), B (Bibles in OL), B' (Bibles with special markers, like trees, analytical etc), B'' (Bibles in English), B''' (Bibles in other languages), (C (Commentaries, contexts, backgrounds and parallels, cultural concepts and so on), D (Dictionaries and lexica), E (Encyclopedias), F (Fathers, Orthodoxy and other important readings), G (Greek), H (Hebrew and Judaica).

Posts 2691
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2020 9:45 PM

My naming conventions are mostly two-letter. Short is good, but if you get tired you might not remember what something is. O is cryptic but OL is not.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9534
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 6:48 AM

Here's what I finally decided to do for now. It is incredible that I currently have 117 links in such a small space.

B=English Bibles
C=Commentaries
D=Dictionaries/Encyclopedias
GB=Greek Bibles
GT=Greek Tools
HB=Hebrew Bibles
HT=Hebrew Tools
M=Maps/Geography
T=Logos Tools and Outside Websites
Finally, I have the "Read Aloud" icon to the right because I continually use this feature.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS