Denominational sorting in Passage Guide: No Jewish?

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5531
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 10:33 PM

Sean Boisen:

I appreciate the concerns expressed here, and we certainly have no intention of excluding the Jewish belief system.

We've discussed adding a categorization of belief systems/theological positions to the Commentaries section, and certainly Judaism would be one of those categories. It's hard to find the right terms that communicate enough and also fit in a limited space: there's more discussion of that in this thread, where i try to explain that what's currently labeled as "Denomination" here is really a denomination group. 

Sean the current situaiton is not accpetable you can not explain it away and justify it by definitions and then tell users they have to vote on it for a fix. FL got it wrong, it should be fixed. You have made a deliberate decision to exlclude certain groups and produced a report that doesn't fit user expectations, it's way off user expectations - so why do it? Why is FL ignoring what users want, ignoring what they say is the way they act as a business and expect users to treat other user with different beliefs and discarding those who dont' fit into these neat denominational definitions ? These groups that do not strictlly fit the definition could have been included with an asterick attatched to the group name highighting it is not strickly a denomination but a belief system that does not have specific denominational lines - problem solved - respect shown to those who identify with these groups. Instead you have chose an approach that is devisive and shows little respect for those identify with these groups or want to study them specifically using the pasage buide by throwning them into a non-classifiable bin.  Very disappointing all round.

Posts 75
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 3:20 AM

I have always thought of various faith traditions rather than denominations because that concept is used by groups that do not consider themselves denominations. In fact, these faithful christians find the concept of denomination an issue. Language is difficult, but some careful thought may find another term that does the same job in a more inclusive way. ;)

That then opens the way to represent even more faith traditions than originally conceived.

—Joseph

Please note my next post as well.

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 75
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 3:22 AM

And by the above I mean other than christian traditions as well.

Posts 2315
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 4:34 AM

DIsciple II:
Sean the current situaiton is not accpetable you can not explain it away and justify it by definitions and then tell users they have to vote on it for a fix. FL got it wrong, it should be fixed. You have made a deliberate decision to exlclude certain groups and produced a report that doesn't fit user expectations, it's way off user expectations - so why do it? Why is FL ignoring what users want, ignoring what they say is the way they act as a business and expect users to treat other user with different beliefs and discarding those who dont' fit into these neat denominational definitions ? These groups that do not strictlly fit the definition could have been included with an asterick attatched to the group name highighting it is not strickly a denomination but a belief system that does not have specific denominational lines - problem solved - respect shown to those who identify with these groups. Instead you have chose an approach that is devisive and shows little respect for those identify with these groups or want to study them specifically using the pasage buide by throwning them into a non-classifiable bin.  Very disappointing all round.

Indeed, there are many belief systems.  

Joseph Sollenberger:

I have always thought of various faith traditions rather than denominations because that concept is used by groups that do not consider themselves denominations. In fact, these faithful christians find the concept of denomination an issue. Language is difficult, but some careful thought may find another term that does the same job in a more inclusive way. ;)

That then opens the way to represent even more faith traditions than originally conceived.

—Joseph

How many times can we split a hair?

Posts 75
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 5:14 AM

A hair may be split many times. ;) Perhaps the problem is how the splitting is taking place. Some creative thought and analysis could be used to examine faith traditions and nomenclature currently used to develop a new taxonomy that may prove to be more useful. Biological taxonomies are often adjusted to create more useful classifications. Labels are useful as tags for concepts, but if the tags do not bring forth the proper concept in the mind of the reader or listener, there is a language problem. It is amazing how often language problems have occurred in the past as two groups are thinking the same concept using different terminology (language), but do not realize their commonality and split from one another rather than trying to understand one another. It will require thoughtful effort. ;)

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 5:46 AM

Joseph Sollenberger:
faith traditions rather than denominations

Much better than the current classification

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 6:25 AM

Jack Caviness:

Joseph Sollenberger:

Yes.

Joseph Sollenberger:
I have always thought of various faith traditions rather than denominations because that concept is used by groups that do not consider themselves denominations.

cOC quickly comes to mind, though I doubt they'd complain.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4132
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 10:34 AM

I do think Tradition is the best choice.

The crowdsourced data called many things "denomination stream" because there are (as a for instance) baptists, southern baptist, independent baptist, particular baptists, missionary baptists, Reformed Baptists, Northern Baptists etc etc etc.

Perhaps Tradition Stream, or Tradition Group, would be idea:?

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 11:06 AM

abondservant:
baptists, southern baptist, independent baptist, particular baptists, missionary baptists, Reformed Baptists, Northern Baptists etc etc etc.

Don't forget American Baptists, Seventh Day Baptists, Six Principle Baptist. No wonder there are so many of us Stick out tongue We can't get along with one another, so we start a new church, or even a whole new domination denomination Wink

Posts 1436
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 12:16 PM

Jack Caviness:

Joseph Sollenberger:

FYI The German UI already uses "Tradition": 

Posts 4849
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 31 2020 2:00 PM

HJ. van der Wal:

Jack Caviness:

Joseph Sollenberger:

FYI The German UI already uses "Tradition": 

Interesting (to me, at least) that it does not use Konfession, which de.logos.com does use instead of "Christian Group".

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS