How do I get a commentary to follow my position in the text more closely

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 1:57 PM

Paul Meathrel:
Are you sure we aren't missing something?

Last week, we replaced our midi keyboard; a reviewer warned the weighted key-edges would hurt our fingers, and so indeed, Immediately, we wonder how a keyboard designer would make that mistake ... and it's how our brains work. The brains just can't believe it. We concluded CAD instructions.

But I suspect Logos is similar. The code has to generalize across thousands of books, and specialized code for 'a few' is expensive (coding, buggy, execution, multi-platform).  I bought Bibleworks late, but it's an interesting design on Bible-centric ... you just aren't going to use it and go down any rabbit-trails. The Bible, it is, all crispy and snappy.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4837
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2020 3:39 PM

Paul Meathrel:
My problem would be solved by being able to select a verse from the visible bible text and have any linked resources move to that location.

That could be a nice setting to be able to enable.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 308
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2020 1:07 AM

SineNomine:

Paul Meathrel:
My problem would be solved by being able to select a verse from the visible bible text and have any linked resources move to that location.

That could be a nice setting to be able to enable.

It is clearly possible, since with the Information panel and a bible open you can click on the bible text (without it moving) and the info pane adjusts.  Similarly with the Cited by pane open, I can click on a verse in the bible text without it moving, and Cited by adjusts.  Also a lexicon, when linked, will follow the word selected in the biblical text again without it moving!  So clearly it is possible...

Posts 308
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 3:09 AM

I've added this to Feedbear if anyone feels minded to support it: https://logos.feedbear.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/linked-commentaries-should-follow-bible-text

Posts 5160
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 3:34 AM

Sorry Paul

I still don't really understand why the following method is not suitable for what you want to accomplish...

'Move the linked bible verse you want to study in the linked commentary to the top of the panel.'

I want to study John 1:6 the commentary jumps there...

As I scroll my bible up the commentary remains at this section until the first verse of the next section is reached at which point the commentary moves to keep the place.

and so on...

If I scroll the commentary then the bible moves to keep place.

It might not be ideal but I find it a reasonable way of working.

Have I misunderstood the question?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 308
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 3:44 AM

Mike Binks:

Yes I think so.  Imagine that you want to Study John 1:1-6, you put this on the screen so you can easily view the whole passage in one go. This is important because as you are studying individual verses you want to be able to view the whole too. 

Now as you move through commentary, reading on 1:1 you reach the boundary between comments on 1:1 and 1:2 (the same applies regardless of where a given commentary's verse boundaries are drawn).  At this point the bible will jump to 1:2 so John 1:1 is no longer visible:

This is the problem in essence, it seems impossible to retain the pericope that you are interested in visible on the screen whilst also having linkage with the commentary.  The frustrating part is that cited by, information and linked lexicons all work such that you can click on a verse and they pick this up without a problem - why not commentaries?

Hope this helps

Paul

Posts 1530
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 5:12 AM

Paul Meathrel:

Mike Binks:

Yes I think so.  Imagine that you want to Study John 1:1-6, you put this on the screen so you can easily view the whole passage in one go. This is important because as you are studying individual verses you want to be able to view the whole too. 

Now as you move through commentary, reading on 1:1 you reach the boundary between comments on 1:1 and 1:2 (the same applies regardless of where a given commentary's verse boundaries are drawn).  At this point the bible will jump to 1:2 so John 1:1 is no longer visible:

This is the problem in essence, it seems impossible to retain the pericope that you are interested in visible on the screen whilst also having linkage with the commentary.  The frustrating part is that cited by, information and linked lexicons all work such that you can click on a verse and they pick this up without a problem - why not commentaries?

Hope this helps

Paul

Paul, I too would like to see what you're asking for.  Another option regarding the positioning of linked bibles and commentaries that might work, is having a "one way" link between them, where the commentary follows the Bible but the Bible doesn't follow the commentary.

One thing I've done in the past as an attempted work-around to your problem, is to have two Bible tabs (each in it's own pane/panel) open to the desired pericope but only have one of them linked to the commentary.  That way if I scroll the Bible in the linked Bible tab, the commentary will follow--but if I scroll the commentary to another verse, the entire pericope is still visible in the unlinked Bible tab.

I know--it's sloppy... it's kludgy... it wastes screen real estate... and it won't work if the pericope is so large that it won't fit twice on your screen.  In that case you could have both Bible tabs in the same pane/panel and keep the unlinked Bible as the active tab as you scroll through the commentary until you're ready to make the linked Bible the active tab again.

Not a solution.  Just a thought as a possible mitigation strategy for while things are as they are now.

Posts 308
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 5:59 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

One thing I've done in the past as an attempted work-around to your problem, is to have two Bible tabs (each in it's own pane/panel) open to the desired pericope but only have one of them linked to the commentary.  That way if I scroll the Bible in the linked Bible tab, the commentary will follow--but if I scroll the commentary to another verse, the entire pericope is still visible in the unlinked Bible tab.

Yes I had thought of this, but as you say its awkward.  A product the quality of Logos hsould have an easy way of centring the text.  Thanks for the reply, if you want to support this suggestion, why not vote on the feedback site...

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/linked-commentaries-should-follow-bible-text

Posts 1530
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 6:56 AM

Paul Meathrel:

Thanks for the reply, if you want to support this suggestion, why not vote on the feedback site...

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/linked-commentaries-should-follow-bible-text

Done!

Posts 308
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 8:15 AM

Thanks Rick

Posts 5160
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 8:44 AM

Hi Paul

Given the constraints in which we are working this might provide a reasonable solution until (and if) the program is altered to meet your requirements.

I would naturally use something a bit bigger and with floating panels on second screens/workspaces.

If you have limited space with which to work you might try something like this.

You will see that I have a very small, almost one verse, panel at the top left which I can use to control the commentary and an unlinked copy of the percope in question in the panel below that. This way the complete text is always in view and the actual verse I am studying is outlined in the top panel. Should I scroll the commentary panel such that the verse that I want to study is lost then I would re-enter it in the search bar from the clipboard.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 308
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 1:17 AM

Mike Binks:

Given the constraints in which we are working this might provide a reasonable solution until (and if) the program is altered to meet your requirements.

thanks again for the reply Mike, I'd hope that this was more than just my requirement! Keeping the text central ought to be what the software strives to do!

Mike Binks:

You will see that I have a very small, almost one verse, panel at the top left which I can use to control the commentary and an unlinked copy of the percope in question in the panel below that. This way the complete text is always in view and the actual verse I am studying is outlined in the top panel. Should I scroll the commentary panel such that the verse that I want to study is lost then I would re-enter it in the search bar from the clipboard.

Yes I can see that this might work, although its a bit of a kludge.  For reference I have 3 screens and when I am studying I find that I do run out of space fairly quickly.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS