An Illustration Manager Please

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 469
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2020 4:03 AM

Hi all,

After being in Logos for several years, Logos 9 has spurred me to using Sermon Manger consistently and I love it. Its an excellent tool.

One area preachers need help is how to keep track of illustrations as one illustration can be used in different topics. I have tried clippings (with tagging) and notes in Logos, as well as MS One Note and Word files in an illustration folder and my "illustrations" are all over the place. And I often have to search through previous sermons to find an illustration I used a few years ago.

Please help!

Most of what I am looking for is in the Sermon Manager Database (but you cannot use a user version of it like you can in Sermon Guide, etc). I don't think it would be hard for FL to offer a version of this Manger called Illustration Manager and linking it to a document type called Illustration.

The Illustration Manager would need almost the same input data as the sermon manager apart from "series".

Note - I am aware of the Illustration Guide but it uses the tagged illustration that appear in books owned.

What do others think?

Thanks. Stephen

Posts 1401
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 5:25 AM

Great suggestion.

You should make that suggestion here so others can vote: https://feedback.faithlife.com/

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 47
Rob Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 6:55 AM

Hi Stephen,

For what it's worth, I use a notebook for this. Each illustration is a note tagged with topic. In the body of the note I put the date I last used it. I do not keep a record of passages although that could be done with anchors. I used to do it this way in evernote. 

Posts 296
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 7:12 AM

StephenMcC:
What do others think?

Count me in!

Posts 469
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2020 8:50 AM

Thanks for replies above. 

Myke Harbuck:
You should make that suggestion here so others can vote: https://feedback.faithlife.com/

Did it. See https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/1100

Let's see how others feel.

Posts 2805
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 6:31 PM

StephenMcC:

Hi all,

After being in Logos for several years, Logos 9 has spurred me to using Sermon Manger consistently and I love it. Its an excellent tool.

One area preachers need help is how to keep track of illustrations as one illustration can be used in different topics. I have tried clippings (with tagging) and notes in Logos, as well as MS One Note and Word files in an illustration folder and my "illustrations" are all over the place. And I often have to search through previous sermons to find an illustration I used a few years ago.

Please help!

Most of what I am looking for is in the Sermon Manager Database (but you cannot use a user version of it like you can in Sermon Guide, etc). I don't think it would be hard for FL to offer a version of this Manger called Illustration Manager and linking it to a document type called Illustration.

The Illustration Manager would need almost the same input data as the sermon manager apart from "series".

Note - I am aware of the Illustration Guide but it uses the tagged illustration that appear in books owned.

What do others think?

Thanks. Stephen

Do you see this functioning within Sermon Manager or as a separate Illustration Manger? How would we incorporate our illustrations into our sermons? Would there be some linkage to the Sermon Manager? As we identify our illustrations where would they best be housed, in Sermon Manager or the Illustration Manager?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.1

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 6:45 PM

Beloved Amodeo:
I don't think it would be hard for FL to offer a version of this Manger called Illustration Manager and linking it to a document type called Illustration.

I thought Phil said that was where the amber vault was headed in their planning.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2805
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 6:59 PM

Denise:

Beloved Amodeo:
I don't think it would be hard for FL to offer a version of this Manger called Illustration Manager and linking it to a document type called Illustration.

I thought Phil said that was where the amber vault was headed in their planning.

I'm not aware of this Denise. Can you link to this statement?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.1

Posts 250
Jim Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2020 7:25 PM

Someone could create an illustration notebook and make that sharable for others to use and perhaps add to it. I like the idea of an Illustration Manager though. I have added my votes to your suggestion. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jimerwin/ - a postmodern pastor in a digital world

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2020 7:07 AM

Beloved Amodeo:
I'm not aware of this Denise. Can you link to this statement?

No ... it was a couple weeks back. I don't use notes, images, etc, so I moved on. They began the idea in L7, and it's listed again in L9 (media).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1030
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2020 7:40 AM

I have a very vague recollection of the possibility of searching past illustrations when you have give the text the "Illustration" formatting. 

But for the life of me, I can't remember how you do that, or even if it's possible (I might have dreamt about it). 

Any know?!

Posts 2281
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2020 8:27 AM

Denise:

My recollection (based upon my reaction with attaching media to Faithlife Group posts) is that "Amber Vault" is for graphics, pics and drawings more than "illustrations" [perhaps different uses of the same root? - confusion about an illustrator producing media, while illustration (in this context) is a verbal story]

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 469
Stephen McCracken | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2020 9:07 AM

Beloved Amodeo:
Do you see this functioning within Sermon Manager or as a separate Illustration Manger? How would we incorporate our illustrations into our sermons? Would there be some linkage to the Sermon Manager? As we identify our illustrations where would they best be housed, in Sermon Manager or the Illustration Manager?

My main desire is to have a better way of managing illustrations. I have a Clipping Doc called illustrations as tags can be added easily. But you cannot create your own clipping (since you are not clipping anything) so I have to use a Notes document for my own with an illustration tag code. I just think having a Illustration Manager  the way Sermon Manger works would simplify the storing and retrieving process.

In my mind an illustration is stored under one key topic/theme and other sub themes are tagged. I would find an illustration I wish to use in the illustration file and insert it into the sermon. But I would be able to add a date to its use the way you add a date every time you may preach the same sermon.

Phil Gons has already replied to my user suggestion if you want to follow his response.

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/1100 

He said "my plans are to use Notes for this by adding a new classification system that will allow you to classify a note as an illustration, etc."

This is a step in the direction I would like Logos to help me in.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS