Apple Silicon M1 Chip

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 59 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 2509
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 7:54 AM

Jack Caviness:

John Fidel:
what do I do with programs that are not ready. I had to go back to a microsoft based laptop...

A fate only slightly preferable to death Stick out tongue Big Smile

True, but I get tired of Apple making thing obsolete and requiring reinvestment in tech before I am ready. It is not just software, but printers, scanners etc.

Posts 2685
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:18 AM

For all practical purposes, we are doing the same work regardless of the hardware. I have a desire for one of these machines, pent up because my Mac is from 2012, but there is no tangible benefit beyond speed and convenience. My time in Logos is time in His Word. Should I really be in a hurry?

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 169
Pater Noster | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:31 AM

John Fidel:
True, but I get tired of Apple making thing obsolete and requiring reinvestment in tech before I am ready. It is not just software, but printers, scanners etc.

To clarify, Apple never requires reinvestment - what you have will continue to work as it does for a very long time - your software, hardware, peripherals all work together fine and will never be forced into not operating by Apple. It is the user who 'requires' reinvestment, not Apple - typically people who say this want to choose to upgrade one thing (the software, or the computer) and wonder why other things (hardware, software, peripherals) no longer work. 

There is always someone unhappy with the decisions companies like Apple make, but in general most users and the overall market are very happy that companies like Apple aren't forced to 'bring along' and support user investments from so long ago. If they did, our solutions would be minimal advancements, crippled with least-common-denominator improvements because of all the old junk that can't handle new functionality or features. It just depends on a user's perspective I guess.

Posts 169
Pater Noster | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:31 AM

John Fidel:

To clarify, Apple never requires reinvestment - what you have will continue to work as it does for a very long time - your software, hardware, peripherals all work together fine and will never be forced into not operating by Apple. It is the user who 'requires' reinvestment, not Apple - typically people who say this want to choose to upgrade one thing (the software, or the computer) and wonder why other things (hardware, software, peripherals) no longer work. 

There is always someone unhappy with the decisions companies like Apple make, but in general most users and the overall market are very happy that companies like Apple aren't forced to 'bring along' and support user investments from so long ago. If they did, our solutions would be minimal advancements, crippled with least-common-denominator improvements because of all the old junk that can't handle new functionality or features. It just depends on a user's perspective I guess.

Posts 2509
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:42 AM

Hi Peter,

I was half kidding. I appreciate your comments. I have 2 2012 Macs that have battery issues. The timing of the change and the questions about how it impacts the programs and hardware I currently have is the issue along with being to continue to update the OS for security. I am sure longterm this change will be beneficial.

Posts 196
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:51 AM

I also got a shipping notification. With the trade in and edu discount, I can get the Air for 12$ a month for 12 months on the Apple Card (and it only taxed the difference instead of full amount). So with the holiday return period, not having to send in the old MBP right away, etc. I made sense to me to see how it goes. 
I can also make a side by side video. 

i can’t wait to see more benchmarks. Would love to see if ram makes a big difference.

I wasn’t a logos user when Apple switch from PPC (though I was a Mac user then). Seems like if they were willing to program for the small percentage back then wouldn’t it make sense to do so again today considering how many more people use macs during this tradition compared to the 2006 transition?

Posts 169
Pater Noster | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:51 AM

No worries! 😛

Posts 290
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 10:07 AM

John Fidel:
I have 2 2012 Macs

Just think of the multitude of hours you have saved in 8 years by not having to wait for your PC to restart.Yes

Posts 3
Mads Valencia | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2020 1:47 AM

How does it run?

Posts 2807
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2020 6:07 AM

I did some videos and a post about it and linked to the in this post here on the forums.

Posts 4
Matthew J. Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 6:35 AM

I have spent 3 weeks with Logos and Proclaim on the M1 Air and M1 Mini.

Overall the application runs better than it does on my (now former) Macbook Pro 16. On that Mac, the fans were a constant bad experience.

Some have stated that removing, reinstalling and allowing a new indexing to take place helps, but in my case I simply restored a backup and let Logos (and Proclaim) update.

Logos is still slow loading saved layouts, and can get a bit sluggish with many resources open, but overall I am quite happy with how well it runs under Rosetta 2 on the Air and Mini.

Posts 2807
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 6:57 AM

John Fidel:
I get tired of Apple making things obsolete and requiring reinvestment in tech before I am ready. It is not just software, but printers, scanners etc.

I understand this, but by keeping backward compatibility, Windows was a real mess through the Windows 8 years. 10 is not as bad because they have had the courage to finally stop supporting XP. This lets them move forward into more modern tech.

Apple does this sooner and the M1 chip is a huge step forward. This will be worth the move because it will force Intel and AMD to find a way to compete. It's painful for people who hold onto hardware for more than 3-4 years. I understand that frustration. But 2 years from today, you won't be able to install intel based apps on new Macs I think. That's what Apple seems to be planning to do - cut Rosetta 2 support in 2 years. If Logos delays in supporting this switch, they will get left behind by others like Accordance and Olive Tree who are making plans.

Posts 4831
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 5:32 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
10 is not as bad because they have had the courage to finally stop supporting XP.

They finally improved on XP.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 427
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2020 10:10 AM

Just letting ya'll know, my MBP 13" M1 is running like a scalded cat.  I'm highly impressed.  It's roughly five or six times faster than my late 2013 i7 15" model.  Quite possibly more. That's using Logos under Rosetta 2.  When they get Logos right for the M1, the potential is going to be overwhelming.  

Wilson Hines

Posts 2685
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2020 12:55 PM

SineNomine:
They finally improved on XP

That really made my day. Thank you!Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2872
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2020 8:32 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:

Mike Binks:

I wonder how well the Logos App will run on the Apple Silicon.

Apple claims that Intel apps will run faster on M1 with Rosetta 2 than natively on Intel. I confess that I am sorely tempted to pick up a MacBook Air (which has always been grossly underpowered for my needs/desires). 

That is the question for me.  Will Logos run significantly better on the MacBook Air that it runs on my HP Spectre?  I am skeptical about that.  If there is a significant difference, I would make the move to the MacBook Air.  But I have not seen much to convince me of that.

I suspect that cannot happen until there is a native M 1 version of Logos, by which time there will be a faster better MacBook also.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2685
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2020 8:58 AM

Mike Childs:

That is the question for me.  Will Logos run significantly better on the MacBook Air that it runs on my HP Spectre?  I am skeptical about that.  If there is a significant difference, I would make the move to the MacBook Air.  But I have not seen much to convince me of that.

I suspect that cannot happen until there is a native M 1 version of Logos, by which time there will be a faster better MacBook also.

I wonder how much faster it runs compared to the eighth-gen i9 in my XPS 15. Probably a little. I am sure it blows the doors off my 2012 Mac MiniBig Smile It's on my front line wishlist for sure. I just don't "need" it this minute. They will always be coming out with a faster processor.

Posts 2807
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2020 9:01 AM

I shared my thoughts here: https://www.kevinpurcell.org/5-ways-the-m1-macbook-makes-ministers-more-productive-and-1-way-it-doesnt/

That post and the video embedded are not Logos specific but I mention it in the video. But you'll get an idea of how well it runs and what it can do for you.

Posts 4
Matthew J. Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2020 9:32 AM

So,

I had the 16" 2019/2020 550m i9 macbook pro. Logos loaded more quickly on that device, but once loaded the M1 version actually scrolls more smoothly and the overall experience is smoother, particularly after the last OS update (there was some sort of rendering issue on home screen and Psalms explorer as others have mentioned). 

I am working on testing the Macbook Air 16GB and Mac Mini 16GB with my Ryzen 9 3900X desktop to see how they compare. I will post a comparison video to YouTube once that is recorded.

I am not expecting the M1 Air to outperform it overall, but if it can keep pace, then I will be impressed. I have had a lot of issues with logos on the Ryzen machine, which uses the Asus workstation MB, but I will remove and re-install and re-index so everything is fresh.

As of today, M$ Office updated to native. All I can say is Word and OneNote are blazing fast in comparison to their Rosetta 2 versions.

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS