Preventing Internet usage during searches

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1200
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2020 2:19 PM

Is there a way to prevent Logos from using Internet during searches?

I cannot see a way to disable Cloud and Bookstore searches when I do a Basic search.

I am often in a situation where I have limited and slow Internet access and don't want to use the precious and expensive data inadvertently. I know I could disable Internet access in Logos Settings, but there are aspects of Internet that I still want to use in Logos.

In addition, is there a way to limit searches only to Cloud sources?

Posts 26398
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 2:06 AM

Just toggle the little arrows for Cloud and Bookstore - no searching done in this position.

Cloud alone is not possible as Library and Personal Books are still searched when not expanded.

I want to stop the Factbook search!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 31402
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 2:21 AM

Dave Hooton:

I want to minimize it for screen shots ....

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5184
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 3:52 AM

Dave, You probably know whereas I am merely speculating :-)

I would imagine that the data overhead of Harry's searches would be infinitesimal.

Isn't the search request uploaded - then the search performed on the servers - and the results (in a form for the factbook display) downloaded. I would have thought that this would consist of a very small overhead.

Or do I misconstrue the situation?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 26398
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 8:25 AM

MJ. Smith:

Dave Hooton:

I want to do that as well!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26398
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 8:49 AM

Mike Binks:
Isn't the search request uploaded - then the search performed on the servers - and the results (in a form for the factbook display) downloaded. I would have thought that this would consist of a very small overhead.

The Cloud search is indeed performed on FL servers and spoon fed back to the app in lots of 10 after getting the first 5. You have no control over resources searched - I was getting results from Hidden resources; which I hid for a very good reason! And you don't know how many hits...

But I can't say what impact it would have for Harry, except that he has the opportunity to switch it on/off. I don't understand the significance of the "form for the factbook display".

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5184
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:17 AM

Dave Hooton:
I don't understand the significance of the "form for the factbook display".

I meant that the only information that would need to be downloaded would be the characters that populated the Factbook entry. I imagine that the formatting for Factbook would be done on the home computer.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 4849
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 3:03 PM

Dave Hooton:

MJ. Smith:

Dave Hooton:

I want to do that as well!

Is there a feedback.faithlife.com post about this that I've either voted for and forgotten about or missed?

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 26398
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:05 PM

Mike Binks:
I meant that the only information that would need to be downloaded would be the characters that populated the Factbook entry. I imagine that the formatting for Factbook would be done on the home computer.

I'm confused, as I thought you were commenting on Harry's request for Cloud & Bookstore searching??

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1200
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2020 9:31 PM

MJ. Smith:

Dave Hooton:

I agree completely. We should be able to minimize the Factbook search, just like the other resources. If I want to search the Factbook, I will intentionally do so.

Of course, the thread I started on Internet usage has been hijacked. Smile

Posts 5184
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 12:19 AM

Harry Hahne:
Of course, the thread I started on Internet usage has been hijacked. Smile

My apologies Harry

I have confused myself, Dave, and possibly yourself.

Rather than offer you a solution I was speculating on the actual size of the problem.

With a request going to the servers only taking a few bytes and, possibly the response from the servers also taking a few bytes what might look like a big job may only have minimal impact on data use.

I was trying to harness Dave's expertise to either confirm or put me in my place.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 26398
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 1:27 PM

Harry Hahne:
Of course, the thread I started on Internet usage has been hijacked.

But was your query answered?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1200
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2020 1:47 PM

Dave Hooton:
But was your query answered?

I was just joking about the hijacked thread. I was interested in the new topics that were raised as well.

It was helpful to know that closing the facet for Cloud and Bookstore disables these searches.

I often use my cell phone as a hotspot for my laptop when I am traveling. When I am outside of the US, I have a very small daily data limit, which I can use up very  quickly. I don't always know what programs are using data in the background and causing this to happen.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS