Logos and the MacBook Air M1, compared to a maxed out 2019 MacBook Pro 16"

Page 2 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 88 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 8:41 AM

Jon Varner:

Do both machines have the same amount of ram and same sized SSD?

The MacBook Pro 16" has 32GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD. The MacBook Air has 8GB of RAM and a 528GB SSD>

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 10:02 AM

Just FYI, the MacBook Air won't run two external monitors off of Thunderbolt. I have a 30" ViewSonic and a 42" ViewSonic. The 42" is my primary monitor. The 30" is for music (hanging above my piano) and is normally off. When I turned it on, the 42" lost the signal, and the 30" became the external monitor.

Posts 2
Martin Stidham | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 11:45 AM

Thank you for taking the time to shoot the video, answer questions, give comparisons and advice. Answered a lot of questions for me and others!  

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2020 11:48 AM

My pleasure!

Posts 4398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2020 7:44 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:
Just FYI, the MacBook Air won't run two external monitors off of Thunderbolt.

Although apparently you can connect a second one via the HDMI port.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2020 4:16 AM

SineNomine:

Although apparently you can connect a second one via the HDMI port.

True

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2020 6:37 AM

It's Saturday morning, which is when I move from my draft manuscript (usually in Omnioutliner or Scrivener) to a Sermon Document in Logos. The MacBook Air is noticeably slower when working with a 3,000 word Sermon Document. Scrolling is affected, typing is laggy, and responsiveness is not what I see in my MacBook Pro. Freeing up RAM in CleanMyMac didn't change things. 

That being said, I've used the MacBook Air for sermon prep in Logos since Wednesday, and this is the first time it has felt like a slower machine than my MacBook Pro.

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2020 6:50 AM

I also should say that nothing but Logos and OmniOutliner were open at the time. 

Posts 2602
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2020 11:38 AM

Hi Gregory, I wonder if your sluggishness with your document is more because Logos is actively making updates on your use of it and sends them to the server. I notice that a little sluggishness is slightly evident on my working with a document on my XPS 15 which is an i9 8th Gen. I think this is a portion of Logos that might need some overall attention but it might also be Rosetta doesn't fully manage it at its best. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2020 5:51 PM

mab:

Hi Gregory, I wonder if your sluggishness with your document is more because Logos is actively making updates on your use of it and sends them to the server. I notice that a little sluggishness is slightly evident on my working with a document on my XPS 15 which is an i9 8th Gen. I think this is a portion of Logos that might need some overall attention but it might also be Rosetta doesn't fully manage it at its best. 

Based on your comment I put my Air in airplane mode, but it didn't change the sluggishness, so while it probably does talk to momma all the time, that's not making Sermon Editor pokey. Thanks for the idea though.

Posts 416
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 4:46 AM

So guys, one thing I haven't seen.  Is there even a squeak from Faithlife on a Silicon native Logos app timeframe? 

Forgive me in advance if this has been hashed out, but I haven't seen it yet.  Thanks

Wilson Hines

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 4:50 AM

Wilson Hines:
Is there even a squeak from Faithlife on a Silicon native Logos app timeframe?

M1 Mac Chip Compatibility - Faithlife Forums (logos.com)

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 30
Mike Prewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 8:12 AM

A nice summary of the Apple M1 Macs (with several review videos and benchmarking) is available at:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/17/apple-m1-mac-reviews/ 

Posts 416
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 1:50 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

I spent some time comparing my MacBook Pro 16" and the new MacBook Air M1 in Logos ..

Questions? Ask away!

Gregory, et al., because of this and a couple other great threads on here, I did a thing today....

I struggled quite a bit with the 1 TB versus 512 GB.  I currently have a 2014 i7 15" MBP and it's got 8 GB and 256 GB which the 256 is maxed out.  I felt like doubling to 512 would be practical, but in the long term, I think to keep it for 5-6 years, the 1 TB is practical and realistic. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 2:18 PM

Wilson Hines:
Gregory, et al., because of this and a couple other great threads on here, I did a thing today....

I struggled quite a bit with the 1 TB versus 512 GB.  I currently have a 2014 i7 15" MBP and it's got 8 GB and 256 GB which the 256 is maxed out.  I felt like doubling to 512 would be practical, but in the long term, I think to keep it for 5-6 years, the 1 TB is practical and realistic. 

Good for you; my Pro is 2TB, and I'm glad. My Air is 512GB, since it's a secondary machine that's fine for me. 

Posts 30
Mike Prewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 2:26 PM

Wilson Hines:

That's exactly what I ordered too. 

• 13-inch MacBook Pro, Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU and 8-core GP and 16-core Neural Engine, 16GB unified memory, 1TB SSD storage
Posts 876
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 3:45 PM

Dan Lioy, Ph.D.:

One of the things this author suggests is that battery life isn't nearly as good as Apple claims when using certain apps in Roseta 2.

Does anyone with the new MacBook notice whether running Logos is a battery drain?

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 3:48 PM

Bill Anderson:

Does anyone with the new MacBook notice whether running Logos is a battery drain?

It seemed pretty good this week during hours of sermon prep. This morning I ran Proclaim about 2 hours and my current battery is 86% (I hadn't touched it since church). 

Posts 371
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2020 3:49 PM

Bill Anderson:

Beyond this, we need to remember that Rosetta 2 is a stop-gap measure until developers get universalized versions released. It's not a deal breaker for me. 

Page 2 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS