NASB 2020 reverse interlinear

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1216
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 23 2020 9:12 PM

The New American Standard Bible 2020 edition is listed as a prepublication resource (https://www.logos.com/product/198302/the-new-american-standard-bible-2020-update). Is this a full reverse interlinear with all of the tags in the 1995 edition? The 1978 NASB is not a reverse interlinear, so I don't want to make assumptions.

I just upgraded to Platinum 9. I noticed that the NET Bible second edition is included, but it does not mention the 2020 NASB. Does anyone know if the NASB2020 will be included in Platinum 9 or another base package, once it is released in Logos format?

Posts 29228
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 9:20 PM

There is no indication of a reverse interlinear, but in any case, that would be a separate resource which would need to be acquired. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29228
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 9:26 PM

As for your question about base packages, presumably not. If it were intended, it would already be listed and say that it will be coming later. That isn’t the case. 

Posts 1216
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2020 9:34 PM

JT (alabama24):
There is no indication of a reverse interlinear

I noticed that it did not say anything about this for the NASB 2020, but it also does not say that for other Bibles, such as the ESV.The prepub listing says it is a "Logos Research Edition" and that it links to dictionaries and other resources. But I won't order it unless I know that it is a reverse interlinear Bible. That unlocks the power of Bibles in Logos.

The Full Feature Set for Logos 9 says it has English-Greek and English-Hebrew reverse interlinear for the NASB, but it does not specific the edition. It does not work with the 1978 edition of the NASB and I very much miss the ability to search on lemmas and use other tags with this Bible.

Posts 655
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 9:32 AM

Harry Hahne:

The New American Standard Bible 2020 edition is listed as a prepublication resource (https://www.logos.com/product/198302/the-new-american-standard-bible-2020-update). Is this a full reverse interlinear with all of the tags in the 1995 edition? 

This PrePub only includes the Bible translation itself, without a reverse interlinear.

Posts 655
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 9:34 AM

Harry Hahne:

The Full Feature Set for Logos 9 says it has English-Greek and English-Hebrew reverse interlinear for the NASB, but it does not specific the edition. 

The Full Feature Set includes the reverse interlinear for the 1995 edition.

Posts 29228
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 10:53 AM

Harry Hahne:
I won't order it unless I know that it is a reverse interlinear Bible.

You will have to decide what it is worth and when it is worth getting. However, the reverse interlinears are separate (and useless) resources without the actual English bible text. 

For example, I had the reverse interlinear for the NIV84 for at least 5-6 years BEFORE I had the actual text of the NIV84... so it was worthless. I later acquired the English text from someone who was selling a unique package. 

Taking a "long view," buying the English text now may be the cheapest way to acquire it outside of a possible L10 base package. If you have a Faithlife connect subscription, you would likely gain the RI that way free of cost... but you would still have to aquire the English text. 

Not trying to persuade you to buy something you dont want, just making sure you understand that they are separate resources. If you would not find any value in the resource if it didn't have an RI, then perhaps waiting is best. There is no guarantee FL will add one (but I suspect that they will). 

Posts 4467
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2020 11:23 AM

Joe McCune (Faithlife):

Harry Hahne:

The New American Standard Bible 2020 edition is listed as a prepublication resource (https://www.logos.com/product/198302/the-new-american-standard-bible-2020-update). Is this a full reverse interlinear with all of the tags in the 1995 edition? 

This PrePub only includes the Bible translation itself, without a reverse interlinear.

Joe

Are there plans to create a RI for the 2020?

Posts 1216
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 10:18 PM

JT (alabama24):
Not trying to persuade you to buy something you dont want, just making sure you understand that they are separate resources

Can it be assumed that Bibles that are listed as separate resources just include the Bible text without all of the tags that make Bibles in Logos so useful? If so what does it mean for a Bible to be a "Logos Research Edition?" If is only includes the Bible text, it sounds more like a Faithlife ebook than a research edition.

What does it mean when the advertisement says "In the Logos edition, this volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library." What is the "amazing functionality?" If terms "link to dictionaries", then this must only be English dictionaries, since there is no tagging of the Greek and Hebrew words.

I do want the NASB 2020, since the NASB has been my primary English Bible for many decades. But sadly the 2020 edition could not become my main study Bible, since I use the power of the various Logos tags so heavily every day. I will have to stick with the 1995 edition and compare to the 2020 edition from time to time. Logos has truly made me an addict to their convenient and rapid way of looking things up.

Posts 11639
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2020 11:59 PM

Harry Hahne:
Can it be assumed that Bibles that are listed as separate resources just include the Bible text without all of the tags that make Bibles in Logos so useful? If so what does it mean for a Bible to be a "Logos Research Edition?" If is only includes the Bible text, it sounds more like a Faithlife ebook than a research edition.

No. There are probably hundreds of bibles in Logos, but only a dozen or so have reverse interlinears. What it means for a bible to be a Logos Research Edition instead of an eBook is to have a bible index (which goes together with a verse map). Such a bible can work in parallel to any other bible and you can open it to a specific reference directly, all of which is not possible in an eBook-edition (like The Voice). In the Logos Research Edition you may have working footnotes and cross-references, maybe a glossary.

Reverse Interlinears are time-consuming to build. Yes, they allow for digging into the Greek text, launching word studies, having senses and biblical places etc tagged. FL will provide RI's for their most popular bibles - so if NASB 2020 is successful, I fully expect they will build the RI, it just takes a year or two to come out.

Harry Hahne:
I will have to stick with the 1995 edition and compare to the 2020 edition from time to time.
You can put the NASB95 and the NASB20 into a layout or even a multi-view tab and have the new translation in front of you every time you work.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 194
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 10:30 AM

Let me understand this a little clearer. When the NASB20 edition comes out in a couple of months, it will be without the RI, correct? After a year or so, it will be linked to the RI like the NASB95. Am I correct? 

Thank you for your response. 

Posts 655
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 10:46 AM

Joseph Luna:

Let me understand this a little clearer. When the NASB20 edition comes out in a couple of months, it will be without the RI, correct? After a year or so, it will be linked to the RI like the NASB95. Am I correct? 

Yes, when the NASB20 edition comes out in a couple of months, it will be without the RI.

Although this is an obvious candidate for an RI, we currently have no information about when or if an RI will become available. 

Posts 2813
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 1:19 PM

Just in case you didn't know, a certain competitor has it available already with the Greek and Hebrew dictionaries so you can use it with their version of the Reverse Interlinear. I'm wondering if Logos will try to match their price and throw in the reverse interlinear when it ships?

Posts 194
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 8:23 PM

Thank you!

Posts 1216
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2021 1:54 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Just in case you didn't know, a certain competitor has it available already with the Greek and Hebrew dictionaries so you can use it with their version of the Reverse Interlinear. I'm wondering if Logos will try to match their price and throw in the reverse interlinear when it ships?

It is worth reminding Logos of this competition. Reverse Interlinear search and lexicon lookup is critical to the day to day Bible study of pastors and many other Bible students. The NASB continues to be a favorite study Bible for many.

Posts 5576
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2021 12:04 AM

FL drags the chain often and does not seem to care if the opposition is ahead of them. They presume customers good will because we have already invested much in resources from the company and so work to the beat of their own drum. I hope an RI for this resource is a part of that beat soon than later.

Posts 1216
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 12:44 PM

DIsciple II:
FL drags the chain often and does not seem to care if the opposition is ahead of them

With anything in technology, I don't think leadership should be presumed to remain. Many once great companies lost their position of dominance because they assumed customers would stay loyal.

Our seminary has periodic discussions of whether we will change to requiring a different Bible software for all of our students.

Posts 121
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 12:57 PM

Harry Hahne:
Our seminary has periodic discussions of whether we will change to requiring a different Bible software for all of our students.

That's a interesting problem. No idea the seminary's plus/minus. But probably for 90%(?) of students and future users, the Bible software platforms accomodate a common book-need (except NASB2020!) ... ergo diferentiating on features, ease of use, etc. ... how quick the platform accomodates new seminary needs.

I've always wondered 'long-term', since the licenses can't travel. Right now, Logos seems up to its ears in WS and maybe Covid struggles.  But I'm hoping it can get back to academia type resources that A-Company doesn't attempt. 

Posts 60
Karl Fritz Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 18 2021 5:10 PM

Joe McCune (Faithlife):

Joseph Luna:

Yes, when the NASB20 edition comes out in a couple of months, it will be without the RI.

Although this is an obvious candidate for an RI, we currently have no information about when or if an RI will become available. 

Am I misunderstanding this feedback status?  According to feedback.faithlife.com, it appears to me that the NASB 2020 interlinear is "in progress."

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-data-sets/posts/nasb-2020-reverse-interlinear-alignment

Posts 984
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 21 2021 11:02 PM

Joe McCune (Faithlife):

Joseph Luna:

I don't want to purchase this from Logos (as I already own it from a certain competitor) until we can get clarity around whether there will be a Reverse Interlinear for it. Hopefully, you can give us an update at some point on that.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS