What is the value of The Passion Translation and how do you use it?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 926
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 1 2020 9:27 AM

Hi

I hear some people raving about this translation and others not so keen.

What is the value of The Passion Translation and how do you use it?

Thanks

P A

Posts 55
nl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2020 10:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yElXz559Jd8

Posts 3731
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2020 9:41 AM

My wife kept pointing me to it (she had the paper copy), & as a pastor I wanted to know what I can recommend. When she gave me a hard copy, I decided to use it devotionally, but to use it with Logos open, checking his translation choices with all my language tools. Invariably, he made me think... sometimes, his insights are inspired. Other times, I ended up wondering what he was thinking (or what Greek or Hebrew text he chose--my copy included only the Psalms, Proverbs, & NT).

I now have it in Logos, as well. 

Devotionally, I can recommend it, though Logos elected not to include the parts of the OT that have been completed. 

For serious study, I wouldn't choose it. 

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 11534
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2020 10:15 AM

P A:
What is the value of The Passion Translation

I think Mike Winger (The Bible Thinker) will have renowned experts - Doug Moo and the like - answer this in a book by book interview series starting this December. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 981
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2020 10:33 AM

NB.Mick:

P A:
What is the value of The Passion Translation

I think Mike Winger (The Bible Thinker) will have renowned experts - Doug Moo and the like - answer this in a book by book interview series starting this December. 

Speaking of Mike Winger, he did an interview with Remnant Radio about the Passion translation that might be helpful where he goes into some of the details of the problems with it. He mentions the reactions of the scholars he has reviewing it.

Andrew Shead (Old Testament scholar) also wrote a review of the Psalms in the Passion translation in Themlios 43, no.1 (2018): 58-71.

Posts 81
Angela Meister | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 3:47 PM

Mike Winger has hours and hours into this. Everything he has produced on this is worth watching. His latest into it as mentioned above is having top scholars analyze it. They will be publishing papers. I am being cordial here. You need to educate yourself about this and everything surrounding it. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS