Logos emails go straight to spam

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2729
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2020 1:34 PM

As of recently, almost all Logos emails go straight to the spam folder. Here are some example headers of the spam checker:

X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=5.5
X-Spam-Score: 55
X-Spam-Bar: +++++
X-Spam-Report: Spam detection software, running on the system "cvps173830114556.hostwindsdns.com",
has identified this incoming email as possible spam. The original
message has been attached to this so you can view it or label
similar future email. If you have any questions, see
root\@localhost for details.
Content preview: Order Number: 19853227 Date: 12/4/2020 6:10 AM Please print
this page for your records. You can also view this order summary at https://u19267600.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=wDLA9b1so-2FwPNnskrJ-2FPTSO6ezb-2BQrgNNMz730oPYoErRBYVFDHtGE4lFRM1txRpRx
[...]
Content analysis details: (5.5 points, 5.0 required)
pts rule name description
---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
0.0 URIBL_BLOCKED ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to URIBL was
blocked. See
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
for more information.
[URIs: sendgrid.net]
-1.9 BAYES_00 BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
[score: 0.0000]
1.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
0.2 HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS From and EnvelopeFrom 2nd level
mail domains are different
0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
1.7 MIME_BASE64_TEXT RAW: Message text disguised using base64
encoding
-0.1 DKIM_VALID_EF Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from
envelope-from domain
-0.1 DKIM_VALID Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
0.1 DKIM_SIGNED Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily
valid
0.0 LOTS_OF_MONEY Huge... sums of money
3.0 KAM_SENDGRID Sendgrid being exploited by scammers
0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY Informational: message has unparseable relay
lines
0.0 T_REMOTE_IMAGE Message contains an external image
-0.0 DKIMWL_WL_MED DKIMwl.org - Medium trust sender
1.5 SENDGRID_REDIR Redirect URI via Sendgrid
X-Spam-Flag: YES
Subject: ***SPAM*** Thank you for your order from Logos Bible Software
X-From-Rewrite: unmodified, no actual sender determined from check mail permissions

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2691
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2020 3:26 PM

Put email addresses in your contacts. That usually fixes things.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 4841
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2020 6:19 PM

mab:

Put email addresses in your contacts. That usually fixes things.

For that specific recipient, yes. But the report Jan's provided points to things that Faithlife could do to improve matters for thousands upon thousands of recipients.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 9031
LogosEmployee

Thanks for the details; I'll pass this on to the team. What ISP and/or spam-blocking service are you using?

Jan Krohn:

We do use SendGrid, and are unlikely to change that soon. It seems unfortunate if we get 4.5 spam points (out of 5!) just for using that mail provider.

Jan Krohn:
As of recently, almost all Logos emails go straight to the spam folder.

Is it possible your spam checker has made the penalty for using SendGrid much higher recently? (I'll check, but I don't think there's been any changes on our end recently.)

Posts 4841
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2020 12:12 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
It seems unfortunate if we get 4.5 spam points (out of 5!) just for using that mail provider.

It seems odd to me that you get 1.0 spam points for having your sender match the SPF record.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 2729
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 1:52 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Thanks for the details; I'll pass this on to the team. What ISP and/or spam-blocking service are you using?

Jan Krohn:

Possibly yes. It would make sense. I couldn't find any change log for the rules file though.

However, SineNomine pointed to an oddity of matching SPF records being penalized. There was indeed a custom rule doing that, which I have no idea where it comes from (probably one of the many companies that managed my VPS in the past before it was migrated to the current provider).

Removing that rule pushes Logos messages to 4.5 points. So everything is fine on my side (and probably also for everyone else who uses SpamAssassin, who didn't have any mоrons add silly custom rules to their rules file).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1984
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 12:44 PM

Bradley,

We use SendGrid (or did) for a number of Azure-based products we've developed. About 2 months ago, emails sent through SendGrid started getting rejected by various email providers (ironically, cloud-based Outlook / Microsoft 365-backed emails). Turns out the free class of SendGrid had started getting abused by spammers. Unfortunately, even switching to the paid version of SendGrid didn't fix the problem w.r.t. MS 365. It's still rejecting a large class of emails sent through paid tiers of SendGrid. Our dev ops guy has spent a lot of time on the phone with MS folks on both ends with no resolution.

It's bad enough that we've had to switch to Mandrill everywhere that it's been feasible (which I know you say isn't likely for you all).

In any case, the combination of sending via SendGrid with a destination of anything that goes through MS 365 still seems problematic.

Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS